Merry Xmas, Happy new year, go away 2016 and bring on 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Frank Thring

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It’s been an interesting year to say the least around here. The club’s rise and fall season was interrupted with what seemed a cavalcade of incidents, injuries, deaths and discontent that threaten to be more than a sideshow. I guess the way the club handled the “Finished 4” was the cream on the cake of a fairly insipid performance by the team in 2016.

Things started promising, I remember how upbeat I was as late as the Tigers win down in Tassie. A convincing win without Goldstein, we were dominant and that after a fairly benign performance against the Swans the week before where we still only lost by just over 4 goals. I started to believe. And then......

The Port game at Etihad was the moment I knew it was over. Growing injury list, certain players going through the motions, it was a listless team that put in an insipid performance and the signs became apparent, the players didn’t believe anymore.

There was a few shining lights during these dark times like the emergence of Wood which of course was countered with his knee injury against the Hawks just when he looked like taking that game by the scruff of the neck. For every shining light there was a counter punch. 17 fit men left by the end of the game against the Cats was almost comical if it wasn’t so sad and then throw in the death of a beloved poster and there’s our kick in the guts while were all down.

All I will say is good riddance to 2016 and welcome 2017 as a new young list takes to the field to represent the royal blue and white. I for one can’t wait.

Merry Xmas all and a happy and safe holiday period.

It’s been an interesting year to say the least around here. The club’s rise and fall season was interrupted with what seemed a cavalcade of incidents, injuries, deaths and discontent that threaten to be more than a sideshow. I guess the way the club handled the “Finished 4” was the cream on the cake of a fairly insipid performance by the team in 2016.

Things started promising, I remember how upbeat I was as late as the Tigers win down in Tassie. A convincing win without Goldstein, we were dominant and that after a fairly benign performance against the Swans the week before where we still only lost by just over 4 goals. I started to believe. And then......

The Port game at Etihad was the moment I knew it was over. Growing injury list, certain players going through the motions, it was a listless team that put in an insipid performance and the signs became apparent, the players didn’t believe anymore.

There was a few shining lights during these dark times like the emergence of Wood which of course was countered with his knee injury against the Hawks just when he looked like taking that game by the scruff of the neck. For every shining light there was a counter punch. 17 fit men left by the end of the game against the Cats was almost comical if it wasn’t so sad and then throw in the death of a beloved poster and there’s our kick in the guts while were all down.

All I will say is good riddance to 2016 and welcome 2017 as a new young list takes to the field to represent the royal blue and white. I for one can’t wait.

Well put Franky.

I liken the 2016 season to that scene in American Pie when Jim has Nadia naked in his bedroom.
It started off magnificently, but ended quite embarrassingly with everyone watching on..

I hope 2017 is like that one time, at band camp..

Clarkey for Rising Star!

Lubb you people.

This board has been somewhat of a sanctuary for me, so I thank each and every one of you. Merry Christmas!!!

The last quarter of the * game was where the rot started.

Yeah. It wasn't pretty (dropping Daw the week after was pretty insipid too given he had actually given a flying f*** in that game). The Geelong game was a debacle injury wise but the effort was good really.

The Hawthorn one for me is where the team lost it completely. At that point it didn't matter if we were capable, they didn't believe it anymore.

I am super pumped for 2017 though, think it will be a very enjoyable ride and not sure why but I've had a feeling for weeks now that the 2016 draft will be an absolute cracker for us. Have a very good feeling about just about every one of the guys. Hopefully we look back at it in a year or two and say yep, that was the year that built the dynasty. :thumbsu:

P.S. Big thanks and props to all the mods (except TFW cos he doesn't do anything) and to every contributor large and small. Great culture on this board (outside the gameday threads anyway) and some very good friends here - some of whom I haven't even met.

Be safe, enjoy your Christmas and prepare to enjoy us smashing teams off the park and making idiots out of everyone in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oh yes merry Christmas everybody an awesome board with awesome people/posters. But yeah never forget the Christ in christmas or we'll end up.....

images

:p

2016 was a shammozle in the end but alot of changes at the club and exciting times ahead.

Merry Christmas to all and stay safe...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know in all seriousness best wishes to the Scott twins and the families. A pretty upsetting time and Christmas is particularly tough I would imagine for them.
Have to agree there. Our family lost a brother in law /son in law/husband/ uncle on December 12 in 2008 and then his only daughter 2 years later at the age of 6 on December the 3rd. Xmas has never really been the same since. Enjoy your family and friends as much as you can. Things can and do change real quick.

And I bloody love this board and this club. Bring on 2017. I am looking forward to it optimistically. Merry Xmas everyone and Happy New Year. Go the ROOS

My partner and I had a miscarriage last Thursday, so it's been pretty crap time into this Christmas to be honest.

The pregnancy was a complete surprise, but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier when you've accepted and looking forward to it.

Luckily we have 5 other kids from our prior marriages (one each) so it's a small consolation.

So yes, don't take anything for granted, cherish what you have.

I wish everyone on here a safe and merry Christmas with family and friends :thumbsu:

Oh yes merry Christmas everybody an awesome board with awesome people/posters. But yeah never forget the Christ in christmas or we'll end up.....

images

:p
Serious? I deliberately use the X.

Unless, of course, you're saying it's a choice between Religion X and Religion Y? In which case I'll start using a Z. ;)
paganchristmas.jpeg

You know in all seriousness best wishes to the Scott twins and the families. A pretty upsetting time and Christmas is particularly tough I would imagine for them.
Hear, Hear. Excellent post, Gaso.

Have to agree there. Our family lost a brother in law /son in law/husband/ uncle on December 12 in 2008 and then his only daughter 2 years later at the age of 6 on December the 3rd. Xmas has never really been the same since. Enjoy your family and friends as much as you can. Things can and do change real quick.

And I bloody love this board and this club. Bring on 2017. I am looking forward to it optimistically. Merry Xmas everyone and Happy New Year. Go the ROOS
Likewise, mate.

My Nan passed away very shortly after Christmas two years ago and this time of year hasn't been the same since. She always hosted large family gathering and cooked lunch, but since then we've only celebrated Christmas with our respective immediate family.

I'm not a big fan of Christmas, to be fair, but like you say it's a time to be appreciative of your family.
My partner and I had a miscarriage last Thursday, so it's been pretty crap time into this Christmas to be honest.

The pregnancy was a complete surprise, but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier when you've accepted and looking forward to it.

Luckily we have 5 other kids from our prior marriages (one each) so it's a small consolation.

I wish everyone on here a safe and merry Christmas with family and friends :thumbsu:
My condolences to you and your partner, Saintly.

I hope you have better fortune if you decide to try to conceive again.

Sorry to hear that, it is a very sad thing to experience. The joyful expectation then the sudden loss. Common but rarely discussed. Grieve how ever you need to.

Take care & I hope your mob has a great Xmas & a Happy Roo Year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back