Official Club Stuff Message from KT

Remove this Banner Ad

Still hope if we get someone like Eade (as per the afl.com.au article), we could also add Bassett (or someone of similar/better ilk) to the assistant mix.

Judging by Thomas' recent quotes, the notion of an untried coach + senior assistant might be a bit too tricky - probably both in terms of convincing a senior person to come along also as an assistant and maybe also because of expense.

If we can afford it, I'd be happy enough with Eade + Bassett to the mix we have. I'd be slighly in favour of this over Burns + Walsh at this stage.

Still hope if we get someone like Eade (as per the afl.com.au article), we could also add Bassett (or someone of similar/better ilk) to the assistant mix.

Judging by Thomas' recent quotes, the notion of an untried coach + senior assistant might be a bit too tricky - probably both in terms of convincing a senior person to come along also as an assistant and maybe also because of expense.

If we can afford it, I'd be happy enough with Eade + Bassett to the mix we have. I'd be slighly in favour of this over Burns + Walsh at this stage.
The only thing wrong with suggesting Walsh, is that he hasn't had a senior coaching position as his own and mainly does strategy work and opposition planning.

I want to quote the full text of this weeks message, which I got in an email but is on the website and keep it for posterity. Bugger it we sponsor the club so I can't see any problem with quoting the lot. They wont try and sue big footy.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6038/newsid/148248/default.aspx

From the CEO: September 21

By Keith Thomas 5:05 PM Fri 21 Sep, 2012

Dear members and supporters,

First of all, can I thank you all for your support and strength in the weeks following the tragic passing of our much-loved friend and player John McCarthy.

It is clear to the world how much of an impact ‘J-Mac’ made upon the entire Port Adelaide community during his time at Alberton.

To those of us attending the funeral service in Sorrento, we were once again reminded of what a magnificent club Port Adelaide is, and it made us feel enormously proud to see such a huge number of the Port Adelaide family turn out at Alberton to pay their respects to John. His wonderful family were simply amazed and overwhelmed by the love we have shown their son.

The past weeks have been really difficult for all of us, but together we have demonstrated the strength, unity and sense of community that underpins the Port Adelaide Football Club. Our challenge is to use these very difficult times to help us grow even stronger, as a playing group and as a club overall. I am confident we can achieve this.

To this end, as our boys quietly head off to spend important time with their families to reflect and recover, your club management and staff are getting back to business.

The coach

It’s no secret that our senior coach selection process has been held up by the events of the past couple of weeks.

Whilst a lot of media speculation has centred on Brett Ratten and Rodney Eade as the most obvious experienced candidates, the selection panel has been determined to remain focussed on executing the process as professionally as possible.

We have been clear from the outset that we have an open mind on the type of coaching solution we are prepared to accept. We have consistently stated that we need to add further experience into the coaching structure, and that remains one of many important considerations.

We are currently still in stage 2 of our pre-determined 3-phase process, which means we are still interviewing candidates.

I can confirm that Brett Ratten did present to the panel, and has subsequently withdrawn from the race citing the fact that he believes a senior assistant role somewhere may be more appropriate for him in the immediate aftermath of his Carlton experience. We respect his decision.

In regards to the rest of the field, despite the fact that finals participation, dealing with John’s tragedy and celebrating his life, along with other issues have presented a few logistical challenges, we are very comfortable with our options and progress to date.

Having accepted that the pre-grand final timeline was not going to be possible following recent events, we are now simply committed to moving through these final stages as efficiently and diligently as we can.

I must say it’s been interesting watching betting odds fluctuate wildly as candidates seemingly come and go, ranging from red hot favourite to long-shots. Clearly not even the bookies know everything.

Far from being ‘the club no-one wants to coach’ as reported in one interstate paper today, we need to be patient, make sure that we do our due diligence, and ultimately pick the right guy for Port Adelaide. It’s as simple as that.

The President

Work continues on this front, but we are probably still some weeks away from resolving this leadership issue. Again, selecting the right person is far more important than the timing of any announcement.

The Review

I think it’s important that the results of the club review, which was conducted throughout season 2012, be shared with our supporters and members. Whilst some action is already being taken as a result of the review, an overview of the findings will hopefully help to provide further clarity in regards to the direction we will take going forward. This report will be completed and presented by the middle of next month.

So, as we quietly regain focus on the task of re- building our leadership platform, setting ourselves for the challenges of 2013 and preparing for Adelaide Oval beyond that, October looms as a defining moment for this club.

Membership

From a player point of view things are winding down for a little while, but for some areas of the club we are entering the busiest time of the year.

Our membership team is finalising the packages for 2013 with a view to having you on board as AAMI Stadium farewells AFL football and then getting you all to Adelaide Oval the following year.

You’ll be hearing more from us on that front as we send out our membership renewals and application forms a little later in the year.

Thanks again for sticking behind your club and for your heart-warming support of Johnny Mac.

Keith Thomas
Chief Executive Officer

Love this comms chain.

^ Yes... make sure we still direct traffic to our website.

Ok Keith, time to get this review out for all to see.

After the events of today I'm beginning to think it's nothing more than a few words to appease everyone.

If your review concluded we were in jolly good shape apart from a few board memebers, and Primus, and all others associated with the footballing department were doing very well then you're a fail as much as they are.

For evidence - see events of 3/10/12 namely Pearce v Chaplin and reasons given for releasing Pearce. Oh, and why we are now down to about 4th preferred choice in the coaching merry-go-round. Would have nothing to do with who any new coach may have to work with would it?

Let's see the review.

KT owes us an explanation of the decision making process over Pearce and Chaplin in the absence of a coach given that the damage done here may outweigh any benefit gained once the coach is finally installed.

After the events of today I'm beginning to think it's nothing more than a few words to appease everyone.

If your review concluded we were in jolly good shape apart from a few board memebers, and Primus, and all others associated with the footballing department were doing very well then you're a fail as much as they are.

For evidence - see events of 3/10/12 namely Pearce v Chaplin and reasons given for releasing Pearce. Oh, and why we are now down to about 4th preferred choice in the coaching merry-go-round. Would have nothing to do with who any new coach may have to work with would it?

Let's see the review.

Aaaah. Good old Rohdey strikes again.

The latest message from KT is disingenuous and is treating us like morons.

My email to them wont win me any plaudits

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see what's wrong with it? Words matter, you know. He didn't say we didn't offer Cameron the job...he said we never OFFICIALLY offered him the job (ie put a contract in front of his face to sign).

Hopefully our 'plans' for the FA/trade period and 'being active' = hording as many draft picks as we can.

Keith wouldn't lie to us. Cameron was not offered the job, he did not have a ridiculous 5 year contract put in front of him, and he has not been practically signed up for two weeks. End of story AFIAC.

Keith wouldn't lie to us. Cameron was not offered the job, he did not have a ridiculous 5 year contract put in front of him, and he has not been practically signed up for two weeks. End of story AFIAC.

^Agreed... no doubt he was our leading candidate that the selection panel was going to recommend and this undoubtedly filtered down to the players hence the leaks.

This what I have never understood about this entire scenario, the media and the leaks reported here:

- the club has been consistent since day 1 that the coaching appointment would be a 3 stage process:

Phase 1) Form a selection panel (we did that ... tick).

Phase 2) Review all coaching options, establish and interview possible candidates (we are still doing this and have been during all these rumours that <insert name> has the job or has a contract before them).

Phase 3) The selection panel (from phase 1) makes a recommendation (from phase 2) to the board, so the board can ratify and sign off on the appointment.

This is the kicker... how could the selection panel recommend a candidate and have the board sign off on presenting them with a contract if the board wasn't formed yet??

What if a contract was presented before the recommendation was made to the board and the board knocked it on the head? Then we would have deserved to have been labelled a rabble!!

No contract was offered, terms were discussed, so they knew what to include in the contract, but it would have required the board's permission before presenting.

I like this bit:

"There is a lot to consider and to weigh up, and our football general manager Peter Rohde, national list manager Jason Cripps together with other key staff and our football strategy committee are overseeing that from our end."

We now know Rohde and Cripps aren't in total control of the list decisions being made. I wonder who is on the 'football strategy committee'?

I wonder who is on the 'football strategy committee'?

Its me. I emailed Keith and told him not to bring in any free agents to maximise the compo pick. So if we get pick 8 im claiming it and expect to be able to choose the draftee with that choice:)

Let's see the review.

Where do you get 4th prefered candidate...we got blindsided by Cameron maybe...and maybe not a bad thing?

Any suggestion Hinkley's anything other than an outstanding appointment depends on the media you choose to read, Rucci or Porter, Rucci is a little p*** off and it shows but his opinion is no more valid than any drunk in a pub at closing time...maybe judging him a little harshly but I'm thinking we go though a process to search out to best possible solution for our clubs needs and we are fools but Carlton are winners because they can throw a million at Malthouse without any form of questioning or looking if there is a better option ...ie "It's Malthouse that will do"...is bizzarre...and of course there are people we didn't talk to but maybe know enough about them not to waste their time...and I didnt mind the idea of Eade either but it appears he wanted the job until he was asked and then it sounds like he got cold feet more than anything the club has done.

Chaplin, we know the knee's catus

Pearce is a loss, "Oh Well, s*** Happens".

I like this bit:

"There is a lot to consider and to weigh up, and our football general manager Peter Rohde, national list manager Jason Cripps together with other key staff and our football strategy committee are overseeing that from our end."

We now know Rohde and Cripps aren't in total control of the list decisions being made. I wonder who is on the 'football strategy committee'?

The recruitng guys lead by Geoff Parker and some of the guys that have been spread out around Oz, mainly in WA, Country SA, Victoria and southern NSW close to the border.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back