Metal Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone into Venom?
Awesome band.
Been around a fair while.
Resurrection...Some of the heaviest riffs you'd hear on the one album.

Yeah man great band. Love that s**t, so many slow heavy riffs.
Always loved their album covers and tshirts too

Just catching up on some new albums i didn't know existed after the Resurrection album.
Takes me back to the black metal era.
I didn't even know of Ressurrection TBH.
Just knew Black Metal and In league with Satan At war with Satan.
Sounded good though on that YouTube vid you put up

Unfortunately their older albums were poorly produced but contained great songs.
Would love to hear them remastered.
Yeah true. I guess its never bothered me too much with a lot of old metal albums.
I never got a CD player till way after everyone else so listened to music for years with a tape player and the albums were always taped off someone else.
So everything sorta sounded like s**t.

Black metal production values so often make me sad. Don't be sad, listen to sweet Krallice instead.

Talking about Venom is reminding of Zimmers Hole.
They've gotta album "While you were shouting at the Devil...We were in league with Satan"
Such a great title.
Great band who are just massive metal heads.
Shred harder and better musos than most bands that take themselves far too seriously too.

Living in Geelong back in the day not too many music stores had a lot of metal albums apart from Sabbath Zeppelin Purple etc.
Remember travelling to Melbourne pretty much every fortnight to Metal Mayhem in Flinders street to get some imports.
Used to buy a couple of record a week back then.
Anyway went in looking for something in particular...can't recall what.
The guy working there played this for me saying i'd probably be interested.
Heard the opening riff and was hooked for life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Living in Geelong back in the day not too many music stores had a lot of metal albums apart from Sabbath Zeppelin Purple etc.
Remember travelling to Melbourne pretty much every fortnight to Metal Mayhem in Flinders street to get some imports.
Used to buy a couple of record a week back then.
Anyway went in looking for something in particular...can't recall what.
The guy working there played this for me saying i'd probably be interested.
Heard the opening riff and was hooked for life.

Used to do the same mate. Get the train to go to Metal Mayhem & Smoke dreams.
Buy albums & Tshirts.

What era was Metal Mayhem around in? Name's familiar but I can't place it.

I remember Metal for Melbourne under the Gas & Fuel buildings (late 1980's)
I remember Extreme Aggression on Flinders Lane (late 80's, early 90's)
I remember Metal Labyrinth in one of the Banana Alley vaults (early 90's)

The eighties.
Pretty sure they opened another store i thought was in Flinders lane but will need to check.

You could well be correct.
Did they start out as Central Station Records then change to Metal for Melbourne?

Yeah I remember Metal Labyrinth in Banana Alley in the late 90's, across the street was Smoke Dreams.
I think I remember Metal Mayhem being up Collins Street near the big ANZ building.

You could well be correct.
Did they start out as Central Station Records then change to Metal for Melbourne?

Yeah. They split the business I think. Central Station still stayed around and unfortunately outlasted Metal for Melbourne, selling hip-hop records and those baggy 'homie pants' and s**t (I think. Never entered the premises). Used to be a Central Station for ages next to the Y & J, where funnily enough Dangerfield is now.

Well hardcore is a sub-genre of metal right?

And no one likes a metal elitest :p
Hardcore is more related to punk and hard rock. Parkway are strictly speaking metalcore which has some metal influences, but there's metal bands with blues influences and it doesn't make them blues bands.

In terms of not being liked, that's my cross to bear. But I'm content with where I sit on not counting the Parkway Drives, Disturbeds, etc. of the world as metal. Basically the logic used by metal archives.

Well metal has its origins is classical music but ain’t no one lumping it in with that.

The song black sabbath was just iommi stretching out the cords to wagners ride of the valkyries. And that was basically how sabbath started playing metal. Well at least a simplified version of it anyway.

And scientists did tests on brain waves of people listening to metal and found it had the exact same calming response that people who were listening to classical music did. They were expecting it to make people more aggressive but it was the exact opposite.

And it has also been scientifically proven that sharks love metal. Tests found that playing it underwater actually attracted sharks \ _ /

Gone way off on a tangent here but i found that quite interesting. Who knew sharks are metal as * :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back