Metallica 20-1 80s Vs 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought I'd change things up this time and have Metallica go up against itself. So I'll post 2 songs with each going against eachother from the 80s and 90s and feel free to comment which song wins out and we will start with these 2

Metallica was my first ever concert and I've been a huge fan since my old man starting playing them but he only owned the 90s albums so that's what I grew up with but after hearing older songs on S&M I went back to look at songs myself and it was cool to see the origins of Metallica and how much they had changed since then. Now I'm older and the 80s stuff keeps growing on me year by year

20. Fight Fire With Fire - Ride The Lightning - 1984

20. Holier Than Thou - Metallica - 1991

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
This is like the Harlem Globetrotters Vs The Washington Generals.
IMG_4740.JPG

Look, there's some listenable stuff from the 90s onwards, but let's be honest; first four albums are stone cold classics that should be taught in schools, everything after that mainly appeals to middle-aged dads in the suburbs who think that listening to Metallica makes their kids think they're edgy.

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
Look, there's some listenable stuff from the 90s onwards, but let's be honest; first four albums are stone cold classics that should be taught in schools, everything after that mainly appeals to middle-aged dads in the suburbs who think that listening to Metallica makes their kids think they're edgy.

Made me laugh for the right reasons.

Papa G

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Feel free to post your own whenever. Every Metallica fan ive ever met have completely different favourite songs.

Okay. Chronological order only as favourite requires too much thinking.

The Four Horseman
Motorbreath
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
Seek and Destroy
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade To Black
Creeping Death
Battery
Master Of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Disposable Heroes
Orion
Damage Inc.
Blackened
One
To Live Is to Die
Dyers Eve
The Struggle Within (Black Album sympathy post)
All Nightmare Long

(Log in to remove this ad.)

D_P_S, there seems to be a fair bit of consensus so far that 80s Metallica>90s Metallica, but I am enjoying the concept, even if this may not be the best band for it (almost all passionate Metallica fans only still listen to the first four albums). After you've finished this one I'd like to see it extended to other bands, as I'm sure there are plenty who can generate more debate.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
D_P_S, there seems to be a fair bit of consensus so far that 80s Metallica>90s Metallica, but I am enjoying the concept, even if this may not be the best band for it (almost all passionate Metallica fans only still listen to the first four albums). After you've finished this one I'd like to see it extended to other bands, as I'm sure there are plenty who can generate more debate.
I'm not really sure what other band I could do that I havnt already done. Red Hot Chili Peppers might be the only big band I like that I could make 40 songs for.

It's easy for me with Metallica because I love so many of their songs both 80s and 90s. Maybe AC/DC or even a Tom Morello battle with Audioslave vs RATM. Or maybe Roth vs Hagar for Van Halen

If you have any ideas let me know

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
I'm not really sure what other band I could do that I havnt already done. Red Hot Chili Peppers might be the only big band I like that I could make 40 songs for.

It's easy for me with Metallica because I love so many of their songs both 80s and 90s. Maybe AC/DC or even a Tom Morello battle with Audioslave vs RATM. Or maybe Roth vs Hagar for Van Halen

If you have any ideas let me know
20-1 Tom Morello guitar solos would be fun

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
My top 20 songs in album order only.

HTL
4H
MB
A-PT
NR
S&D
FFWF
RTL
FWTBT
FTB
CD
B
MOP
DH
O
B
AJFA
O
TLITD
DE (beat Metal Militia)

Based on song selection obviously I like KEM>RTL&AJFA>MOP. I've always thought MOP has some real plodders that in hindsight, could really be 90s material. On that note, I also think Harvester of Sorrow is the worst song on AJFA and a sign of bad things to come.

Apr 8, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Should be a few heavy metal/hard rock bands most music lovers could contribute to. Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Where would we be without England?

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Taken over my list have you hahaha

Bleeding Me is incredible and it will be on the list a bit later

I probably should have looked at how these 20-1 things are supposed to work huh?

Haha, carry on. All the oldies are winning at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back