Metallica 20-1 80s Vs 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was a massive fan of their 80s albums, but I'd put these three post 1990 singles in their all-time Top 20

Hit The Lights
The Four Horsemen
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover)
Fight Fire With Fire
Ride the Lightning
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Battery
Master Of Puppets
The Thing That Should Not Be
Orion
Damage, Inc.
Blackened
One
Enter Sandman
Mama Said
Moth Into Flame

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I was a massive fan of their 80s albums, but I'd put these three post 1990 singles in their all-time Top 20

Hit The Lights
The Four Horsemen
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
Am I Evil? (Diamond Head cover)
Fight Fire With Fire
Ride the Lightning
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Fade to Black
Creeping Death
Battery
Master Of Puppets
The Thing That Should Not Be
Orion
Damage, Inc.
Blackened
One
Enter Sandman
Mama Said
Moth Into Flame

Thats the first time i saw the Gaga version of Moth. And boy oh boy was great or what?

Didnt really like the dancing but her vocals worked well with Papa Het.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I like the idea of Hagar vs Roth for Van Halen. I think 80s U2 would crush 90s so I may just save that for a top 30. Beatles im
not heavily into so I'll leave that for someone else to do

Not so sure, I very much like 90s U2, especially achtung and Zooropa. If we include the passengers album as well we have quite a bit of excellent material from the 90s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
10. Orion - Master Of Puppets - 1986

That bass intro * me. This has claims to be the best instrumental metal song ever made. This and Call Of Ktulu are epics and it's hard for me to rate instrumentals I think they belong in their own category. It's hard to choose the best part of the song because it's all just killer and I can totally understand people complaining about this only being number 10

10. The Unforgiven II - ReLoad - 1997

James Hetfield take a bow, this is one of his better vocal efforts and he really gives this song an extra punch with his vocals. The chorus is one of my favourites from Metallica with the way James sings it to the little guitar riffs in there it just hits the mark for me. This song never gets played live or on radio and personally I love it more than the first Unforgiven.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
9. Ride The Lightning - Ride The Lightning - 1984

That opening riff is killer and funny enough the song takes you for a "Ride". The chorus is simple but very memorable and easy to sing to which makes it a live staple. So many good head banging moments in this song and it really is a metal classic and a brilliant follow up after "Fight Fire with Fire" on the album. Guitar solo is ace aswell.
9. Enter Sandman - Metallica - 1991

Instantly recognisable, the guitar work in this song is marvellous. The main riff kicks so much ass and James is impressive with his vocals on this one. there isn't much to say about this song, everyone knows it and there isn't much reason as to why its here it just kicks ass and does what it needs to do. Some may hate it for its popularity but for a hard rock song I really cant complain about it.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
You need: "Killl 'Em All" and "Ride the Lightning". Godlike stuff.

You go Ok with Puppets and Justice. Or even the Black one. Dont' even mind Load, but who cares: First two are so good everything else sucks...

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
8. Creeping Death - Ride The Lightning - 1984

Another song with an easily recognisable intro. Really live when the riff kicks in and its all hands on deck from there. This song still holds up especially live where I think it sounds the best James really nails it. Its a perfect song to get you pumped and love the change in sound after the solo which is always the highlight live when the whole crowd joins in. This was a song I was always surprised didn't get the symphony treatment I thought it could have sounded epic.

8. Wasting My Hate - Load - 1996

******* riffs! Love love love the guitar work for this song, metal or not this song is badass and involves imo one of their best ever riffs. The song is short and sharp and gets to the point. Always wondered why this never became a single maybe the riff was too epic for stations like Triple M to handle haha. Also if all the Load songs im not sure why this isnt played live much when it could easily be added to a set being only 3min in length and im not sure how anyone could be disappointed hearing this riff live.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
7. Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Master Of Puppets - 1986

Really love how this songs changes from soothing to heavy, just the calming main part of the song that leads into the heavier riff to start the chorus always sounds so cool. Metal ballads are a Metallica speciality just showing how good they can be at so many forms of metal and rock. The song has so many highs and lows and personally the 2nd half of the song is my favourite where I feel it really lifts in intensity, the guitar solo in this part is so so good.
This song is a favourite to many Metallica fans and its not hard to see why.

7. Nothing Else Matters - Metallica - 1991

The song on its own is a rock classic but takes on a whole other level with their S&M performance. That opening guitar is practised by about every aspiring guitarist and it was the first riff I ever tried to play when learning guitar. Hey this isn't very metal but its a damn good rock ballad and it comes from the heart and a perfect song to sing along to. In this performance there is so much emotion and precision it really is something to behold. This song will stand the test of time a real classic.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
6. Motorbreath - Kill 'em All - 1983

You could almost call this a punk song, its very short and sharp and gets to the point, the riffs are amazing and its incredible how much they fit into such a short song. There is really much to say about this one I just really love everything about it and is perfect for getting me pumped up.

6. Sad But True - Metallica - 1991

If there is one thing going for this album its how huge the songs feel and Sad But True starts of epically, also love the pause leading into that killer riff. Easy song to sing along to and just bang your head with, Lars gives the song a lot of power its not fast drumming like their earlier stuff but he just sets a slow and heavy tone. There is enough changes through the song to keep your interest but it still keeps that epic riff that I never get tired of listening to.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
10. Orion - Master Of Puppets - 1986

That bass intro **** me. This has claims to be the best instrumental metal song ever made. This and Call Of Ktulu are epics and it's hard for me to rate instrumentals I think they belong in their own category. It's hard to choose the best part of the song because it's all just killer and I can totally understand people complaining about this only being number 10

10. The Unforgiven II - ReLoad - 1997

James Hetfield take a bow, this is one of his better vocal efforts and he really gives this song an extra punch with his vocals. The chorus is one of my favourites from Metallica with the way James sings it to the little guitar riffs in there it just hits the mark for me. This song never gets played live or on radio and personally I love it more than the first Unforgiven.

UFII is one of my all time favourites. Agree with your feelings on the track 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back