Remove this Banner Ad

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
5. Battery - Master Of Puppets - 1986

How good is the intro that just builds and then that killer thrash riff that can get anyone pumped up. For me this is the ultimate set opener and im surprised it never does open up their live sets. The chorus is awesome as hell and its awesome to head bang and sing to at the same time. Guitar solo is epic af and the guitar part right after it and Lars mini drum solo sounds so cool. The song goes for 5 minutes but it feels like 2 minutes with the frantic pace but all of a sudden the song is over and you want to listen again.
5. Ain't My Bitch - Load - 1996

One thing the Load album does is killer riffs and this song is no exception. This song doesn't nearly get enough love and imo its one of the better hard rock songs you will hear. Its heavy, catchy and so many hooks its not funny. I love the chorus from the way James sings and how they arrange the guitar parts. This never gets played live and ive got no idea why it isn't. Of all the Load songs they could play this one would be the easiest to fit in with its short run time and just how much quality it puts in for that short time.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
4. One - And Justice For All - 1988

A song to give you shivers, the music video for this song really helped get the song popular and its a music video ill never forget (Especially the head banging ;) ) This is a Metal epic that builds and builds into something incredible. I love the mix of heavy and soft at the start its a good balance to keep the song going. They really nail the guitars even the mini solo at the start its sounds so good yet so quiet. But we all know the best part of the song (Did I mention head banging?) and that goes straight into what might be one of the best guitar solo's ever made. This song is amazing.
4. The Memory Remains - ReLoad - 1997

For a long time this was my favourite song as a kid, its a generic rock song yeah but every time I hear it I think of my childhood and how much I loved this song. Its the perfect song if I want a rocking short song to fill my needs, the chorus is killer and who can forget the creepy old lady haha. Yeah its pretty obvious that One destroys this song but I still love this song and its one of the reasons I love Metallica and rock music in general.

Honestly would have had One at number one, it's my favourite Metallica song, and AJFA is my favourite Metallica album. Thought you gave a good summation above, all I can add is that the introspective lyrics are brilliant; it's probably the best match between lyrics and music in their career. Interested to see what you rank higher.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
3. For Whom The Bell Tolls - Ride the Lightning - 1984

Get around Cliff, this imo is the ultimate set opener, great to sing along to and head bang to and the song is just epic in general. the haunting bells with cliffs ominous bass and the riff is downright badass. Its a long start to the song but its so iconic and you cant get bored by it at all, also I think this may have one of the best riffs ever made. I really love the mini drum solo's during the song in what makes this song a highlight for the whole band to showcase themselves. This is pure metal and its imo an iconic track for its genre.

3. Fuel - ReLoad - 1997

That iconic opening often parodied as "Give me food, give me fries, give me salad on the side" haha. This may be one of the most badass songs ever made and the perfect driving song or a song to get you fired up. The riff is so good and Lars has maybe his best drumming performance since the 80s, my old man air drums this song whenever he hears it and its also his favourite song of all time not just for Metallica, to say I heard this song a lot as a kid is an understatement. Don't think I could find a single Metallica fan that would dislike this song, its one of not many from that era of Metallica that the old school diehards actually like. A very underrated song with the general public.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
For the first time in about 20 years listened to a heap of their music over the last couple of months. Forgotten how great most of the 80s stuff was and also the more mainstream Black album but the rest of the 90s is bloody meh. I know they probably couldn't do thrash metal forever but it screams dads in their 40s midlife crisis rock. Metallica - Metallica was a decent compromise at least imo.

Mar 11, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
love lists, my personal favourite Metallica songs :

1983 - Kill 'Em All
The Four Horsemen
Seek And Destroy

1984 - Ride The Lightning
Fight Fire With Fire
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fade To Black
Creeping Death

1986 - Master Of Puppets
Master Of Puppets
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

1988 - ...And Justice For All :
Blackened
And Justice For All
Eye Of The Beholder
One
To Live Is To Die

1991 - Metallica
Enter Sandman
Sad But True
Holier Than Thou
The Unforgiven
Wherever I May Roam
Nothing Else Matters
My Friend Of Misery

1996 - Load
Mama Said

1998 - Garage Inc.
Turn The Page
Blitzkrieg
Breadfan
So What

2008 - Death Magnetic
The Day That Never Comes
All Nightmare Long

Analysis
80's (13) v 90's+ (14)

Yeah I thoughts Puppets was overrated, so what?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back