The Law MeToo Movement

Sainteric

Cancelled
Aug 5, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not often I agree with you but I just may do here. The AFL is incredibly lucky that its competitors have been a) woefully run eg basketball, union, b) scandal plagued ie league or c) just fail to get traction ie soccer. And you can call cricket a competitor in terms of kids choosing a sport and thats imploded as well.
Basket ball is now a bit better run professionally. It's no 2 behind soccer in participation and some younger segments its no 1.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond

CheapCharlie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Craig McLachlan found NOT guilty on all charges.

I was a bit surprised at this. Sounded like quite a number of accusers. Didn't help that early in the trial a couple of witness stories didn't make sense.

Metoo pile on, justice served or justice denied?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2007
Showers Stand
AFL Club
Essendon
Craig McLachlan found guilty on all charges.

I was a bit surprised at this. Sounded like quite a number of accusers. Didn't help that early in the trial a couple of witness stories didn't make sense.

Not guilty!!!!

I was forced to watch Morning Wars (too lazy to get off the couch) and it actually has quite a good look at the way a predator acts like he's just part of the game with younger staff after him so they can get a "career bump". Carell's character had a mix of willing and unwilling partners, and he was loved by his co-workers who had different reactions to his crimes. Some couldn't believe it, others had heard rumours and kept quiet, others had been victims and paid off behind Carell's character's back so he carried on thinking they did it for the career move. It's still pretty light in parts, but worth a watch.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Craig McLachlan found NOT guilty on all charges.

The magistrate clearly wanted to throw him in the clink but there was insufficient evidence. She implied that statute changes since 2014 may have lead to a different outcome. Sounds like the raging-feminist-magistrate from hell.

I get the impression whether he did anything wrong is inconclusive.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Whenever I hear Hollywood actors/actresses talking about the importance of the MeToo movement, my mind goes to the case of Roman Polanski.

It should go without saying that the likes of Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby appear to have committed dozens of horrible crimes, ranging from sexual misconduct to abuse of power to rape. For them, justice was overdue and I don't think anyone is really defending them.

When actors/actresses discuss why they continued to work with Weinstein, for example, despite the rumours, they insist they didn't know what was going on. Let's set aside whether that's credible or not. Maybe they were naive. Maybe they really had no idea.

But how do they justify continuing to work with Roman Polanski for the past 40 years? There is no real dispute about the facts of the case against Polanski. In 1977, he drugged and sodomised a 13-year-old girl. Polanski was 44. While awaiting sentencing, he fled to France, where he has remained a fugitive from US justice.

Despite this, he wasn't blackballed by Hollywood. He's made plenty of films since, including The Pianist in 2002, which was nominated for several Oscars. Meryl Streep gave him a standing ovation at the ceremony. Dozens of high-profile actors worked with him over the years, including Johnny Depp, Harrison Ford, Jodie Foster, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant, Sigourney Weaver, Ben Kingsley and Ewan McGregor.

Polanski was only recently kicked out of the Academy. If the accusations against Weinstein, among others, are reason enough to blackball him, why didn't they blackball Polanski sooner? They cannot claim to be ignorant of the accusations. Did it only just dawn on them that drugging and sodomising a 13-year-old is bad form?

Last edited:
The magistrate clearly wanted to throw him in the clink but there was insufficient evidence. She implied that statute changes since 2014 may have lead to a different outcome. Sounds like the raging-feminist-magistrate from hell.
Or a magistrate giving their opinion on the case.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
What do you want specifically? I wasn't there so I can't give you a first hand account.

Facts as far as I know: Group of uni students partying at a beach house getting drunk, two males go to a room, one fully willing, the other "not sure". Oral sex ensues with the victim receiving it. Days later, the accused receives a call from the victim, who's recording the conversation; the victim starts a conversation about what happened, and this recording was used as evidence in court.

A 22 year old young man gave a questionably consensual blowjob to another, and has been charged with RAPE by the 12 man jury. Even putting all those circumstances favoring the defence aside, we live in a state where you go to jail for 4-5 years for GIVING A BLOWJOB. No penetration whatsoever, just a blowjob.
Dont have the inclination to read tge whole thread for this - but i was under the impression that recorded calls are inadmissible if the person you are recording isnt aware they are being recorded?

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Dont have the inclination to read tge whole thread for this - but i was under the impression that recorded calls are inadmissible if the person you are recording isnt aware they are being recorded?

It varies by state, some you need both parties consent, others if you're a participant you can do it without asking.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
I was forced to watch Morning Wars (too lazy to get off the couch) and it actually has quite a good look at the way a predator acts like he's just part of the game with younger staff after him so they can get a "career bump". Carell's character had a mix of willing and unwilling partners, and he was loved by his co-workers who had different reactions to his crimes. Some couldn't believe it, others had heard rumours and kept quiet, others had been victims and paid off behind Carell's character's back so he carried on thinking they did it for the career move. It's still pretty light in parts, but worth a watch.
I thought the ending was pretty powerful tbh.

Good show.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Is that being 'cancelled'? Someone making a demand on twitter?
It's the impulse to cancel being expressed on social media, which is often where these things generate their initial momentum.

Where do you think the backlash against JK Rowling found its first foothold?

And #metoo is in its conception a product of social media. The clue is in the hashtag.

It's the impulse to cancel being expressed on social media, which is often where these things generate their initial momentum.

Where do you think the backlash against JK Rowling found its first foothold?

MeToo is in its conception a product of social media. The clue is in the hashtag.
Just labelling it 'cancel culture' is merely a way of dismissing it without actually dealing with the substance of the issue.

Back