News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

A thriller last night at the GCSLC with the Brisbane Bullets edging out Melbourne United 87-85. Great to see professional NBL basketball back on the Gold Coast. Former GC Blaze player Chris Goulding almost snatched it for Melbourne with a three quarter court buzzer beater but it didn't fall and Brisbane came away with the victory. Here is Goulding after his missed shot:

mmB4ozM.jpg

A thriller last night at the GCSLC with the Brisbane Bullets edging out Melbourne United 87-85. Great to see professional NBL basketball back on the Gold Coast. Former GC Blaze player Chris Goulding almost snatched it for Melbourne with a three quarter court buzzer beater but it didn't fall and Brisbane came away with the victory. Here is Goulding after his missed shot:

mmB4ozM.jpg
Do you know what the crowd was?

Interesting
So is the 100m track on the Eastern wing or is that a parallax error making it look wider?
Can't imagine the trough feeders in the Virgin Lounge area being happy with the finish line on that side

Interesting
So is the 100m track on the Eastern wing or is that a parallax error making it look wider?
Can't imagine the trough feeders in the Virgin Lounge area being happy with the finish line on that side
would make sense to have it on the western side with all the media. could just be a bit of an illusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First look at the temp seating at the open end of the stadium View attachment 448926

Also temp seating along the change room side wing View attachment 448927
Great to see the stadium coming together nicely before the Comm Games. Seeing these pics got me thinking - what is the next evolution for the precinct? An increase in public transport access is the obvious one and we've already seen the GC council indicate the light rail will be extended down Nerang-Broadbeach Rd after they take it to the airport so that's just a matter of waiting for funding and I expect a light rail station outside Metricon Stadium in the next 5-7 years. But what else is the precinct missing?

I think a nice dining area (something similar to L.A Live) would really be the cherry on the cake for the area and there's a perfect spot for it that's currently vacant land:

bUPUkap.jpg

This highlighted area along the lake could provide waterfront dining options (possibly similar to Marina Mirage) that look out onto the lake with views of Metricon Stadium and the Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach skyline in the distance. They could even implement a nice little water feature in the middle of the lake if they wanted to be really classy. It would be a cool little area for fans to get together before and after games, plus having a light rail option along Nerang-Broadbeach Rd running until midnight would mean there wouldn't be as much emphasis on people leaving the area immediately after a game. The fans could hang around/celebrate after the game and have some drinks/eat.

So, a light rail extension and a nice dining area are the two elements I believe are currently missing from the precinct to make it the total package. What do you guys think?

Great to see the stadium coming together nicely before the Comm Games. Seeing these pics got me thinking - what is the next evolution for the precinct? An increase in public transport access is the obvious one and we've already seen the GC council indicate the light rail will be extended down Nerang-Broadbeach Rd after they take it to the airport so that's just a matter of waiting for funding and I expect a light rail station outside Metricon Stadium in the next 5-7 years. But what else is the precinct missing?

I think a nice dining area (something similar to L.A Live) would really be the cherry on the cake for the area and there's a perfect spot for it that's currently vacant land:

bUPUkap.jpg

This highlighted area along the lake could provide waterfront dining options (possibly similar to Marina Mirage) that look out onto the lake with views of Metricon Stadium and the Surfers Paradise/Broadbeach skyline in the distance. They could even implement a nice little water feature in the middle of the lake if they wanted to be really classy. It would be a cool little area for fans to get together before and after games, plus having a light rail option along Nerang-Broadbeach Rd running until midnight would mean there wouldn't be as much emphasis on people leaving the area immediately after a game. The fans could hang around/celebrate after the game and have some drinks/eat.

So, a light rail extension and a nice dining area are the two elements I believe are currently missing from the precinct to make it the total package. What do you guys think?
The only change I would make to your plan is to build it where the temp stand is going. This would be on the river with the same views of the Coast you mentioned, add in a ferry terminal to make it more accessible during non game days and potentially other attractions such as indoor skydiving, etc to help build useage.

bUPUkap.jpg

Doesn't the area get in strife with a 10pm noise curfew? I'm all for it, but I vaguely recall something like that when the Foo Fighters played at Metricon a few years back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back