News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Tate is a redneck Leaguey
I wouldn't be surprised if his endgame is destroying all other football codes on the Coast
If he spends one red cent of my money on a stadium for that bogan game I'll stand for mayor myself just to clean that Mr Toad smirk off his face
He already wiped the Tugun Jets Football Club off the face of the Earth for the socially corrupt and inept Tugun Seahawks benefit
What a tosser
Just goes to show how beneficial it can be to have a town mayor that's willing to dig in for your code and put pressure on the state government. Ron Clarke did this for us 10-15 years ago and managed to secure us an AFL licence because he personally met with Demetriou and made it his mission to secure an AFL team on the Gold Coast. Having said that, Clarke wasn't particularly supportive of the Titans when they were began their journey so you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to politicians and right now we have a mayor that isn't going to throw us a bone. We have to fight our own fight this time.

I think Tate said he would step down as mayor when this term ends in 2020 so hopefully the next mayor isn't as biased towards league.

Just goes to show how beneficial it can be to have a town mayor that's willing to dig in for your code and put pressure on the state government. Ron Clarke did this for us 10-15 years ago and managed to secure us an AFL licence because he personally met with Demetriou and made it his mission to secure an AFL team on the Gold Coast. Having said that, Clarke wasn't particularly supportive of the Titans when they were began their journey so you have to take the good with the bad when it comes to politicians and right now we have a mayor that isn't going to throw us a bone. We have to fight our own fight this time.

I think Tate said he would step down as mayor when this term ends in 2020 so hopefully the next mayor isn't as biased towards league.

His Press Release mentions the Suns too
I put it in the Titans/Suns crowds thread

Tate would turn an even deeper shade of purple if we scored an A-League team
He is doing nothing to help either the Knights or United in their bid

I was speaking to some United hierarchy at my daughter’s game this morning and they are very confident of getting their license application approved. Getting very promising feedback even though it is a couple of years ahead of their initial planned A-League application.

And we might even see Didier Drogba in United colours next season! He’s aging now (40) but still playing good footy in the US for a team owned by one of United’s new financial backers (Phoenix Rising) who are keen to bring him out.

Interesting to see how it plays out.

Tate is a redneck Leaguey
I wouldn't be surprised if his endgame is destroying all other football codes on the Coast
If he spends one red cent of my money on a stadium for that bogan game I'll stand for mayor myself just to clean that Mr Toad smirk off his face
He already wiped the Tugun Jets Football Club off the face of the Earth for the socially corrupt and inept Tugun Seahawks benefit
What a tosser
I don't think you'll have to worry about Tom much longer There is a major s**t storm on its way.

Everyone carrying on still about the trade this is why we did it. He wants to be here, he won't ever leave. I can guarantee that if we drafted someone with that pick we wouldn't get someone who dreamed of playing for us.
No one ever said don’t get Weller, the issue is the ridiculous price that was paid not the kid himself

No one ever said don’t get Weller, the issue is the ridiculous price that was paid not the kid himself

Why do we keep on having to re-state our argument to these people about our issues with the Weller trade.
Every few weeks someone pops their head up and niggles at us with revisionist history.
Read very carefully and very slowly-we believe that when Freo rejected the 2018 WCE First Rounder that we should have walked away, used pick 2 to get LDU (or whoever) and got Weller at the end of this season when he came off contract.

Those of us who think that way never bring it up either, but every few weeks some chest beater has to re-write history and put some slant on it.

Why do we keep on having to re-state our argument to these people about our issues with the Weller trade.
Every few weeks someone pops their head up and niggles at us with revisionist history.
Read very carefully and very slowly-we believe that when Freo rejected the 2018 WCE First Rounder that we should have walked away, used pick 2 to get LDU (or whoever) and got Weller at the end of this season when he came off contract.

Those of us who think that way never bring it up either, but every few weeks some chest beater has to re-write history and put some slant on it.
I think that view point is fair enough but i don't think we could have guaranteed he would want to come a year later. We've messed up that situation so many times. He could have decided to stay in 12 months time or go to Brisbane. I'm not saying pick 2 was the right call but i just understand why Evans and Clayton took the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that view point is fair enough but i don't think we could have guaranteed he would want to come a year later. We've messed up that situation so many times. He could have decided to stay in 12 months time or go to Brisbane. I'm not saying pick 2 was the right call but i just understand why Evans and Clayton took the deal.
Agree with you if we failed to get the deal done he would of been pissed at us and probably would have ask for a trade to Brisbane the next year.

At the end of the day we got a playing that wants to be at our club and will give us 10+ years of good footy.

Look at the player Freo picked up with pick 5 adam cerra already wants a trade back to Melbourne.

That could have been us with whoever we picked up with pick 2

Last edited:
What's done is done. Still disappointed we got our pants dacked in trades by teams that are two hours behind us in Greenwich mean time. What goes around comes around. Next time trades with the Dockers and Eagles can't be done lightly.

Yeah I’m cool with that view. I’d love to not have this discussion again.
Fingers crossed that at some stage it’s just let go and not brought up by anyone.
It’s so old now.

I think Dew cannot wait a year to integrate Weller into the team . LdU (not staring with North ) for me is a waste of time , even if he come good he will go back to Victoria in every opportunity.. team need to learn new game plan and Gel no matter how good a player is . What I will always brought out was what the hell Clayton deal with Eagles is very uncool .

Light rail grand plan revealed
THE first round of funding for the $600 million third stage of the light rail will be quarantined in this month’s council budget.

The first of the council’s expected $60 million contribution to the Broadbeach to Burleigh link will be put in its strategic reserve ready for when federal and state funding is secured.

Stage 1 — Griffith University to Broadbeach — completed in 2014

Stage 2 — Griffith to Helensvale — Completed in 2017

Stage 3A — Broadbeach to Burleigh Heads — potential completion date 2021

Straight down Gold Coast Highway to Burleigh Heads

Stage 3B — Burleigh Heads to Gold Coast Airport — Potential completion date — 2024

Most likely to be straight down Gold Coast highway through Tallebudgera, Palm Beach and to the Airport.

West route 1 — Spur line from Nobby Beach to Robina — complete by 2030

from the Gold Coast Highway along Christine Ave through Varsity Lakes with major stops at Robina Town Centre. It would terminate at the Robina railway station and Cbus Stadium

West Route 2 — Spur line from Broadbeach to Nerang Railway Station stopping at Metricon Stadium — complete by 2030

This would split off at Hooker boulevard and run along Nerang-Broadbeach Road.

North route 1 — Griffith University to Harbour town.

This splits off from Griffith and turns up Olsen Ave and runs to the shopping centre.

Other connections proposed in plans:

Line D — running from Main Beach to Palm Beach, with branch lines running from Main Beach to The Spit and between Palm Beach and Elanora.

Line C — Would include a small western branch line between Surfers Paradise and Bundall.

But Mayor Tom Tate called on those tiers of governments to reconsider how they fund future stages to avoid the prolonged battle which delayed the start of construction for Stage 2.

“We want our funding ready without having to put any kind of special levy on ratepayers and, all things going well, we could see construction start in late 2019,” Cr Tate said.

“The funding for this project should always be continuous in the budgets for the future. Forget the budget cycles, let’s get out of that loop.

“Work on Stage 3A should be able to get going once the business case is complete. It is viable the costings are being completed. Let’s not wait until the next election.

“The work should keep going as well and once Stage 3A has begun we must announce the investigations beginning for 3B and have the $10 million for that business case ready so we can push ahead.”

The business case for 3A, jointly funded by the council and State Government last year, is expected to be completed by Christmas.

City leaders are hoping money for the project will be secured in both the 2019-20 state and federal budgets, allowing construction to begin late next year.

The 7km link is expected to run down the Gold Coast Highway from the Broadbeach South station to central Burleigh Heads.
So there you go guys. Footy/cricket fans should be able to travel to Metricon via a tram by 2030 at the latest.

15 bids for a new A-League licence.
GCU didn’t make the top 10. Looks like it will be a long time before we have an A-League team again.
I fear I won’t see one again in my lifetime.
A League just want another Sydney and Melbourne team so they can have more derbies. Because they create the most $$$$.

Hi all,why can't you park at the ground or nearby carparks?we flew over for the marathon on the weekend and wanted to see yous on Saturday night but for us to park felt like it would've been km's away from the ground. We thought the stadium looked great at night from the outside though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back