News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all,why can't you park at the ground or nearby carparks?we flew over for the marathon on the weekend and wanted to see yous on Saturday night but for us to park felt like it would've been km's away from the ground. We thought the stadium looked great at night from the outside though

It’s not far from the Golf Club Carpark. Your general point is correct though.

Hi all,why can't you park at the ground or nearby carparks?we flew over for the marathon on the weekend and wanted to see yous on Saturday night but for us to park felt like it would've been km's away from the ground. We thought the stadium looked great at night from the outside though

Can park at golf club or kdv or catch free bus

Can park at golf club or kdv or catch free bus

Unfortunately we were unfamiliar with the surrounding areas (being first time on the coast) we drove to the start/finish line of the marathon prior to the game,we thought it might've been a contractual thinking with the carpark at the stadium that prevents parking there?

Can anyone copy & paste this thanks

Gold Coast Titans, Suns bosses hail hoped for new era at venues
903411826e25ab77406250c023784e28

BOSSES at top Gold Coast sports franchises are hailing an anticipated new era for city stadiums with a tipped shift in focus toward attracting more big-shot events.

A review into the operation of Queensland venues, including Gold Coast Suns home Metricon and Gold Coast Titans fortress CBUS Super Stadium, will be unveiled within weeks.

It is expected the review, led by respected sports and tourism executive John Lee, will call for a fundamental shift from focusing on economics and return on investment to enabling more community benefit by filling up the calendar, the Bulletin understands.

9ebeff00a97174285467a9ef0ae117da

Titans CEO Graham Annesley out the front of CBUS Super Stadium in Robina.
Other understood changes are relief for franchises such as the Titans and Suns when it comes to punishing public transport levies dished out by Stadiums Queensland.

The levies are passed on to cover free or subsidised public transport which comes with game day tickets but for the Titans which have a large drive-up crowd any relief will be welcome.

The Gold Coast franchises and city leaders including Mayor Tom Tate have been at war with Stadiums Queensland about perceived exorbitant hiring costs and blaming it for losing acts including Bon Jovi to Brisbane venues. State Government has since completely replaced the board.

BOUTIQUE STADIUM PLANS BACKED BY MAYOR TATE

63d9f8bb6cf380a18bba2a2a1e2fa7cc

Michael Gordon of the Titans is tackled during the Round 14 NRL match between the Gold Coast Titans and the South Sydney Rabbitohs at CBUS Super Stadium at Robina on the Gold Coast, Friday, June 8, 2018. It is hoped a bold new era for stadiums like CBUS will result from the review. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Titans CEO Graham Annesley said he was not aware of the outcome of the imminent Lee review but welcomed a shift in focus to getting more events, concerts and other codes’ fixtures at CBUS and Metricon.

“The whole point of having sporting infrastructure in the community is so it benefits the community.

“I don’t believe these sorts of taxpayer funded facilities should be used just for sporting codes. I would applaud any such change in focus.”

ad58a70df89fc68cefa73af81ca500dc

Titans CEO Graham Annesley: “Idon’t believe these sorts of taxpayer funded facilities should be used just for sporting codes. I would applaud any such change in focus.”
Mr Annesley said the Titans lobbied the stadiums review for the Gold Coast to be treated as a regional city not a capital one when it comes to “high” transport levies.

The bigger cities had much larger, better patronised public transport than the Gold Coast: “It’s still very much a drive mentality for the residents on the Gold Coast to get where they need to.”

TITANS NEED LEASING COSTS SLASHED

The Titans inked a 10-game-a-year, five-year deal for CBUS recently but the contract is fluid to allow for relief on transport levies that might result from the stadiums review.

Titans chairman Dennis Watt said city stadiums were “a significant investment and it would be great to see our stadiums getting greater usage for the benefit of the Gold Coast public”.

“Whether other sports or concerts, it takes the pressure off the Titans to carry the weight of the cost for that piece of infrastructure.

5d5e3888fcd260fb2823c1a5e9e678ae

Gold Coast Titans chairman Dennis Watt: “Whether other sports or concerts, it takes the pressure off the Titans to carry the weight of the cost for that piece of infrastructure.”
“It moves us closer to a level playing field to our other competitors in the NRL.”

Mr Watt said savings would be ploughed back into Titans playing talent and junior pathways for males and females.

GET FULL DIGITAL ACCESS FOR 50C A DAY

Suns chairman Tony Cochrane, who last month called for Stadiums Queensland to be renamed Stadiums Brisbane alleging bias, said: “We have been trying for a long time to attract additional product to Metricon. We have made enormous efforts and every time we are beaten by Stadiums Queensland’s own venues in Brisbane.

cc62b2c4ffd55b6801d62654c8ecbc90

Gold Coast Suns Chairman Tony Cochrane: “If they are going to have more of a statewide approach rather than Brisbane-centric approach, we would welcome that with open arms.” Picture: Jerad Williams
If they are going to have more of a statewide approach rather than Brisbane-centric approach, we would welcome that with open arms.”

A dozen Suns home games a year pumped $29m into the Gold Coast economy and a further six events or concerts at Metricon would inject a further $15m, Mr Cochrane said.

Hey everyone, I'm heading up to GC next weekend to watch the Carlton game and I'll have my 9 month old baby with me. I've just realised there's no parking at Metricon itself, any advice on the best option for getting to and fro? We'll have a car--would you recommend the park and ride or is there parking in the surrounding area somewhere?

Hey everyone, I'm heading up to GC next weekend to watch the Carlton game and I'll have my 9 month old baby with me. I've just realised there's no parking at Metricon itself, any advice on the best option for getting to and fro? We'll have a car--would you recommend the park and ride or is there parking in the surrounding area somewhere?

There’s parking at kdv over the road or at the gold club if you want to park close by not sure how much probably $20/$25 whereas park and ride is free I’m lead to believe

Aw Mebbie bringing baby to the Suns game. Nice. If you want to meet the one and only Billy ray let me know and i can get my people to speak to your people yada yada..

Looks like we've pulled off a massive coup and secured the International NFL Draft Combine in early October!

2018 NFL international draft to be held on the Gold Coast to pick next generation of gridiron stars
The NFL, one of the world’s largest sporting organisations, will hold its inaugural international draft on the Gold Coast next month.

The Gold Coast International Combine is designed to unearth international gridiron talent with scouts from NFL teams to assess 75 athletes from across Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga on the Gold Coast on October 6.

A 30-minute television package showcasing the Gold Coast and the combine would be produced and shown across prime-time television in the US.

“This deal will mean millions of Americans will see first hand not only the International Combine but the Gold Coast as a world-class tourism and major events destination,” said Tourism Minister Kate Jones.

“The United States is one of our key international markets so to be able to work in partnership with an organisation like the NFL on a strategy to promote the Gold Coast and Queensland is a real coup for the state.

“The NFL is a huge sporting organisation with millions of fans right across the world and this International Combine will ensure the eyes of the sporting world are once again on the Gold Coast.”

Up to five athletes from across Australia and the Pacific will be selected from the Gold Coast International Combine and entered into the NFL International Pathway Program which could see them enter the NFL draft or be placed directly onto an NFL team.

Ms Jones said the deal was negotiated by Tourism and Events Queensland in partnership with the City of Gold Coast.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate said the NFL combine would generate valuable exposure for the city in the US.

“This is an incredible opportunity for our city and I wholeheartedly welcome the NFL International Draft which will play out on the Gold Coast,’’ he said.

“When it comes to significant media exposure across the US, the international draft is up there with the best the NFL offers.

“As a nation, we’ve enjoyed seeing Aussies make the NFL over the years and I hope this draft results in more talent from Down Under enter into the NFL.’’

They haven't confirmed it will be held at Metricon yet but it seems a logical choice given the facilities AND this video:

World class centre to boost squash on the Coast
THE Gold Coast will now be the home of squash with a world-class facility set up at Carrara.

Following the success of the Commonwealth Games, the courts have been relocated to form the National Squash Centre.

The Commonwealth Games legacy project will see Squash Australia’s High Performance projects and major events, including the World Doubles Championships in June 2019 and the World Junior Championships in July 2020, being held on the coast.

Squash Australia CEO Richard Vaughan said the centre marks an important step for the growing sport.

“The National Squash Centre at Carrara is an amazing legacy outcome for the Gold Coast and Queensland,” he said.

Queensland Minister for the Commonwealth Games Kate Jones said the courts are a chance to inspire the future of squash.

“Our future squash stars now have the opportunity to play on the same courts which proved successful for Australia’s men’s doubles and mixed doubles teams, with both claiming gold at the Commonwealth Games,” she said.

Nice to see Squash Australia have moved their national headquarters to Carrara. It's starting to become a jam-packed sporting precinct!

Can't wait for a Big Bash cricket team to set up base at Carrara as well.

EDIT: It looks like Squash Australia have fully taken over the Carrara Indoor Stadium that's placed between Metricon and Suns HQ. I wondered what was going to happen to that facility going forward so it's good to see it will be used.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plans to build a boutique 12,000 seat stadium at Owen Park in Southport. This would be the Gold Coast equivalent of an inner city stadium and is intended for musical events (GC does not have a suitable venue for a 10-15k sized event!) as well as smaller sporting events like A-League matches. The site has over 100 years of history being the traditional home of the Gold Coast Show as well as playing host to the Southport Sharks once a upon a time (multiple Sharks premierships were won at Owen Park). The site is also serviced by two light rail stations nearby and the overall project should be a positive one for the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately it will almost definitely have a rectangular configuration which virtually rules out the prospect of future AFL/Cricket games being played there but it should still be good to finally have a suitable venue for bigger musical artists. They should be able double up with concerts with Brisbane (one night Brisbane, next night Gold Coast).

Plans to build a boutique 12,000 seat stadium at Owen Park in Southport. This would be the Gold Coast equivalent of an inner city stadium and is intended for musical events (GC does not have a suitable venue for a 10-15k sized event!) as well as smaller sporting events like A-League matches. The site has over 100 years of history being the traditional home of the Gold Coast Show as well as playing host to the Southport Sharks once a upon a time (multiple Sharks premierships were won at Owen Park). The site is also serviced by two light rail stations nearby and the overall project should be a positive one for the Gold Coast.

Unfortunately it will almost definitely have a rectangular configuration which virtually rules out the prospect of future AFL/Cricket games being played there but it should still be good to finally have a suitable venue for bigger musical artists. They should be able double up with concerts with Brisbane (one night Brisbane, next night Gold Coast).
they are talking an outdoor venue yeh? not a roof?
would it have to be rectangular field at all? if its for acts why wouldn't you make it a fan shape with stage and stands opposite?

they are talking an outdoor venue yeh? not a roof?
would it have to be rectangular field at all? if its for acts why wouldn't you make it a fan shape with stage and stands opposite?
My understanding was that the council wanted to create stadium with a rectangular configuration to allow for A-League/Super Rugby matches. No doubt the higher ups at TSS would love to see Super Rugby game involving the Reds just down the road from their campus. Having said that, the article below implies there's a possibility it could become a baseball stadium. One would think a baseball configuration would open the door for sports played on an oval configuration (GWS's current stadium was originally the baseball stadium built for the Sydney 2000 Olympics). If the venue is a success, the government may feel the need to develop the site into a proper entertainment arena instead, so that's always a long-term possibility as well.

Boutique multi-purpose stadium could lead to regular major baseball events on Gold Coast
Plans to construct an arena with a capacity of between 10,000 and 12,000 have ramped up this week, with the Bulletin revealing Owen Park in Southport is believed to be an ideal site.

Such a venue is desired to cater for a number of sports and entertainment options, including concerts, and Baseball Australia chief executive Cam Vale believes his sport could perfectly fit into the picture.

Outside of the costly option of converting football fields, Australia currently has no stadium suitable for major baseball events such as an international series featuring the likes of Japan and South Korea, or the World Baseball Classic. Perth will soon have the country’s biggest baseball facility at a capacity of nearly 5000.

Vale said a bigger multi-purpose venue on the Coast with either grass or artificial turf could see the city become the centre of any keynote series and even spark the return of regular top-line matches in the form of an Australian Baseball League franchise.

“Baseball being part of the broader stadiums solution is a far better model than having our own stadium that is only for baseball because the economics don’t stack up,” he said.

Vale revealed there is “serious Japanese interest” in basing an ABL team on the Gold Coast that would blend foreign and homegrown talent, while a similar model could also work with Taiwanese support.

The lease on Baseball Australia’s headquarters in Chevron Island is up for renewal in August next year and Vale added a boutique stadium could ensure the Coast remains at the heart of the sport Down Under.

“There is no reason to move from the Gold Coast at the moment but there is also probably no compelling reason to stay,” he said of his office’s location.

“A venue that could host this major content once a year would be the logical location for the national body to have a long-term base at.”

Last edited:
GC stadiums were very poorly planned in the first place. Should have had a reconfigurable stadium in Southport or Helensvale to begin with that could be oval or rectangle depending on sport

There’s no way we can ever have an A-League team playing out of ROBINA so this boutique stadium is needed.
In Australia Baseball matches have often been played on grounds that provide strange configurations so if we then had another Baseball team then it wouldn’t be a problem, the games just will have very high scores.

There’s no way we can ever have an A-League team playing out of ROBINA so this boutique stadium is needed.
In Australia Baseball matches have often been played on grounds that provide strange configurations so if we then had another Baseball team then it wouldn’t be a problem, the games just will have very high scores.

Exactly. I played night baseball at Lang Park for gawds sake and even I was able to hit them out of the park. Our diamond there was positioned so we were hitting west to east. All they did was extend the height of the fence on the eastern side of the ground. The scores were still pretty high though.

GC stadiums were very poorly planned in the first place. Should have had a reconfigurable stadium in Southport or Helensvale to begin with that could be oval or rectangle depending on sport
Funnily enough, the AFL's preference was to build a new stadium on the vacant land next to Helensvale train station. The QLD state government and local council preferred the redeveloped Carrara Stadium option and pursued that instead. The AFL then acquiesced and the end result was Metricon Stadium.

As long as the Council builds it and keeps SQ well and truly clear I'm happy
I think that may be part of the plan. The reason being that earlier this year it became very obvious that neither professional team on the Gold Coast had a realistic alternative to the exorbitant rental fees Stadium Queensland were charging. There was no way to leverage a better deal by threatening to take games to another venue. Therefore, this boutique stadium can serve as a leverage tool for both the Titans and Suns (and possibly a GC-based BBL team in the future) should Stadiums Queensland try their luck again.

Question regarding Carrara crowd numbers - I've noticed they were like 15% higher in 2017 and 2018 compared to 2015 and 2016 (circa 14k up from circa 12k). I'm just wondering if the folks here had any idea why that might be happening?

The form of the team is about the same over the 4 years in terms of wins and losses, so I wouldn't think it's the onfield product making the difference over the period. Is the club engaging better with fans? Is it friendlier fixture timeslots? Better weather? Youth engagement paying dividends? Seems like a nascent good news story nobody is talking about.

Question regarding Carrara crowd numbers - I've noticed they were like 15% higher in 2017 and 2018 compared to 2015 and 2016 (circa 14k up from circa 12k). I'm just wondering if the folks here had any idea why that might be happening?

The form of the team is about the same over the 4 years in terms of wins and losses, so I wouldn't think it's the onfield product making the difference over the period. Is the club engaging better with fans? Is it friendlier fixture timeslots? Better weather? Youth engagement paying dividends? Seems like a nascent good news story nobody is talking about.
I'd put most of that down to natural growth. Families now bringing their kids etc. Finally resonating with locals that already have a first team. One more is the suns are now getting home games to big Victorian clubs during Victorian school holidays.

Playing teams like geelong Richmond hawthorn Collingwood helps boost numbers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gold Coast ferry: Broadbeach and Tipplers added to public transport system’s stops
GOLD Coast City councillors will today vote for the proposed ferry system to be extended to the heart of Broadbeach and to make parts of the trial free for residents.

Council now wants the two-year trial to include 14 stops, not 12, and to cover an extra 3km to take more cars off the roads, open up South Stradbroke Island to non-boaties and help bring more workers and tourists into the inner city.

Under plans to be unveiled to city leaders at council this morning:

• The proposed route will start at Tipplers on South Stradbroke Island and run to the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre at Broadbeach. It will also travel west to Metricon Stadium at Carrara for major events. The other stops are: Couran Cove, Labrador, Wavebreak Island, Doug Jennings Park, SeaWorld, Southport Pier, Mariner's Cove, Main Beach, Cavill Ave and the Home of the Arts at Evandale.

• The system will go to tender in March following a vote by councillors. Ferries are expected to carry passengers from December 2019.

• A grand launch will be held similar to last December’s open day for the Gold Coast light rail’s second stage where residents will be offered a free trip. These trips are expected to offered over a number of weekends through the holiday period.

• The council has engaged a specialist maritime consultant to conduct a wash study on sections of the Nerang River and canals where faster speeds will be required.

If the new 14-stop route is approved today, council will then consider hydrological reports and await the State Government’s decision on how the ferries will integrate with the city's existing public transport network.

Mayor Tom Tate said he was confident ferries would be on the water this time next year.

“I am confident more than ever that this will finally be delivered after 20 years of conversation,” he said.

“Everyone knows I have met with the Minister and the public understand we are working hand in glove on this.

“It will help in decongesting traffic from Southport, Main Beach and The Spit and in doing that it will be the best way of utilising our world-renowned waterways.

“Everyone knows that tourism needs further offerings and though this is public transport, I believe tourists will spend the day travelling on the ferry to different stops and go up to The Spit for a barbecue.”

If approved at today’s meeting, a report will go before councillors in March as the final step before tenders are called the same month.

The system has been projected to take more than 3500 cars off the road.

The Bulletin understands several companies from NSW and Victoria have informally expressed an interest in tendering for the project.

The council is hoping to secure cutting-edge solar catamarans that will be able to make the 16km journey in about 40 minutes while travelling at speeds of up to 12 knots.

Unlike Brisbane’s 22-year-old CityCat designs, newer ferries have the potential to travel faster but create significantly less wash, lessening the potential for causing damage to revetment walls along the Nerang River.

The Gold Coast Bulletin revealed the revived ferry proposal in July. Weeks later it was backed by the Gold Coast Waterways Authority.

Under the plan, the council would provide dock infrastructure, the Department of Transport and Main Roads would integrate its timetables into the city’s public transport network and the waterways authority would oversee the tender and contract.

We've seen this before but it would appear they are more serious about it this time. Adding a Broadbeach ferry terminal would certainly increase the amount of people travelling to Metricon on game days IMO. The article says it would be in operation in December 2019 if everything goes to plan so footy fans would be able to travel to Metricon via ferry during the 2020 AFL season but really the first sports fans to experience it on the Gold Coast will be those who attend Big Bash League games at Carrara over the 2019-2020 season. It's a novelty but I also think some will genuinely use it to travel to Metricon every time the Suns play.

I wonder if transport on the ferry will be free if you have a game day ticket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back