The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I was just reading a website about the Brisbane Bombers bid for the NRL and it mentioned it could use Metricon Stadium as an occasional home ground.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
I was just reading a website about the Brisbane Bombers bid for the NRL and it mentioned it could use Metricon Stadium as an occasional home ground.

Do you mind posting a link mate :)

Would be good for the money side of things, but surely would be better options out there for the new side

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They should have a section of the theme park called “Soccer Land” featuring a 15000 rectangular stadium for a GC A-League Team that they agree to fund for 99 years as part of the GCCC deal.
My understanding is council is eyeing off the Owen Park site in Southport for a 10-15k seat venue for both A-League and musical events. The idea is for the stadium to be 'inner city' and connected to the popular light rail system.

I think it would be great to have a theme park right next to Metricon. It would entice families to enter the Carrara precinct and should result in more people attending Suns/BBL games. The planned 'Coomera Connector' road also gives those Gold Coasters in the northern suburbs a direct route to Metricon so that's obviously a big positive as well.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not sure how many people are interested in this but the famous Harlem Globetrotters basketball team will be performing at the Sports & Leisure Centre inside the Carrara sports precinct on 11 April (It's a Thursday). It's good to see the facilities are actually being used throughout the year to host events.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Not sure how many people are interested in this but the famous Harlem Globetrotters basketball team will be performing at the Sports & Leisure Centre inside the Carrara sports precinct on 11 April (It's a Thursday). It's good to see the facilities are actually being used throughout the year to host events.
spinningtheball.jpg

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
NightQuarter’s stunning comeback: Gold Coast live venue gets another life at new location
THE Gold Coast’s popular live entertainment venue NightQuarter is being offered a new home at Carrara and its owners are giving it “serious consideration”.

Assistant Tourism Industry Development Minister and Gaven MP Meaghan Scanlon has been working on a deal with Stadiums Queensland which has Gold Coast Suns backing and is close to being finalised.

The Bulletin can reveal the night markets which hosted live bands could re-open by mid-year at Metricon Stadium, most likely in the space west of the stands near the Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre.

“I think the Metricon Stadium site would be perfect – close to public transport in a great community for families,” Ms Scanlon said.

“I’ve been in close contact with NightQuarter’s owners along with Stadiums Queensland and the Suns to try to find a new home for NightQuarter.

“This is a step in the right direction. No-one wanted to see the Gold Coast lose NightQuarter.

“This is a business that supports scores of local jobs. It’s great that we’ve been able to work together to find the best solution for the people of the Coast.”

NightQuarter owner Ian Van De Woude last night confirmed he and co-owner Michelle Christoe were looking at several options including Carrara.

“We have had discussions with the guys at Metricon Stadium. We are giving it serious consideration at this stage. There are a number of hurdles to work through but it is in the mix,” he said.

“Michelle and I are keen to secure a new venue for NightQuarter in the future.”

NightQuarter opened in 2015 but was forced to close at Helensvale early last month after its landlords, Westfield shopping centre operator Scentre Group and the state-owned Queensland Investment Corporation, upped its rent by more than 100 per cent.

More than 16,000 residents backed a petition in support of the venue to the Parliament placing the Government under pressure to find another site.

Ms Scanlon scouted several locations as she worked to keep the tourist attraction in her northern Coast electorate.

The Bulletin understands Government officers are confident a three-month trial on the site can begin by mid-year.

A government source said Stadiums Queensland was likely to tick off on a deal in the next month, and the council in negotiations about parking arrangements had been supportive.

Sport Minister Mick de Brenni said he had encouraged Ms Scanlon to proceed with talks between all the parties.

“Meaghan Scanlon has been in my ear telling me all about this fantastic opportunity to maximise community use of this great venue,” Mr de Brenni said.

“It’s certainly in line with the recommendations of the Stadiums Taskforce Report from respected sports administrator John Lee.

“I’ve said to Meaghan: go for it — it’s another drawcard for the stadium and a great result for the Gold Coast.”

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the politicians in the northern Gold Coast is trying to prevent NightQuarter from relocating to the Metricon precinct but I'm hoping it goes ahead and moves to Carrara anyway. It would be a wonderful addition to our precinct and allows us to regularly host weekly events. I'd love to have the opportunity to attend a twilight AFL game at Metricon and then walk two hundred metres to a market area where I can have a drink and/or meal and be entertained by live bands going into the night.

Camsta

All Australian
May 12, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the politicians in the northern Gold Coast is trying to prevent NightQuarter from relocating to the Metricon precinct but I'm hoping it goes ahead and moves to Carrara anyway. It would be a wonderful addition to our precinct and allows us to regularly host weekly events. I'd love to have the opportunity to attend a twilight AFL game at Metricon and then walk two hundred metres to a market area where I can have a drink and/or meal and be entertained by live bands going into the night.
My concern is only on game days - great if you’re already going to the footy but can’t see many going to night quarter when there’s no parking and sharing public transport with the footy crowds...

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Where would you park if you wanted to go to nightquarter?
What crowds did night quarter get before? 100s? 1000s?
I never went
helensvale westfield's carpark was right next door, along with the train station and the shopping centre across the road, there was plenty of parking, not to mention the lightrail. i believe the concert section had a capacity of around 4-5k. on a slow, rainy night they might get 600-800 i'd have guessed.

the logical spot is the collective at the old athletes village at southport. still near public transport and still relatively "northern", but i'm not sure about the parking situation.

i'm not sure metricon stadium is the right choice. i read that they would only be able to use a "downsized" food trucks set up rather than the shipping container configuration, which i don't think would be as successful. also, unless the light rail runs past metricon stadium to nerang station, getting in and out wouldn't be very pleasant.

i've seen people mention westfield coomera as well, but i'm not sure the owners of nightquarter would be willing to sign a lease with scentre group again lol.

basically, if you can find a block of land that is central to family-based residential areas, with adequate parking, public transport options and isolated enough to allow live music performances, it would be perfect. how hard can it be? :$

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
helensvale westfield's carpark was right next door, along with the train station and the shopping centre across the road, there was plenty of parking, not to mention the lightrail. i believe the concert section had a capacity of around 4-5k. on a slow, rainy night they might get 600-800 i'd have guessed.

the logical spot is the collective at the old athletes village at southport. still near public transport and still relatively "northern", but i'm not sure about the parking situation.

i'm not sure metricon stadium is the right choice. i read that they would only be able to use a "downsized" food trucks set up rather than the shipping container configuration, which i don't think would be as successful. also, unless the light rail runs past metricon stadium to nerang station, getting in and out wouldn't be very pleasant.

i've seen people mention westfield coomera as well, but i'm not sure the owners of nightquarter would be willing to sign a lease with scentre group again lol.

basically, if you can find a block of land that is central to family-based residential areas, with adequate parking, public transport options and isolated enough to allow live music performances, it would be perfect. how hard can it be? :$

Westfield Coomera !!!!!!!......Agree totally....why would anyone want to re-sign with the mob who just increased your rent by 100%.......and bear in mind all Nightquarter was doing was using Westfield's un-used land.......it was totally useless until Nightquarter came along, and once they started making a quid, BIG BUSINESS decided they wanted some of it.....enough said...

Last edited:
https://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/news/2019-03-26/metricon-extends-longstanding-partnership

Australia’s largest national home-builder has extended their partnership with the club for a further four years until the end of 2022.

Ahead of the 2019 season, Metricon have built a new double story activation site to be known as ‘The Terrace’. The Terrace will be utilised as an entertainment outlet for Metricon clients and contractors as well as providing a beautiful home for members and fans attending the stadium.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Queen and Adam Lambert to play Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium on February 29, 2020
ROCK royalty Queen will play the Gold Coast next year in what is set to be one of the biggest concert in the history of the city.

The iconic rock outfit, fronted by Adam Lambert, is set to bring its Bohemian Rhapsody Tour to Carrara’s Metricon Stadium on February 29 – and a sell-out is predicted.

In a major coup for the city, the Gold Coast Bulletin understands the Gold Coast show was selected in lieu of a second Brisbane show.

Negotiations to bring the band to the city began in secret in January and came to fruition late last week when the date was locked in.

Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane said he expected a sell-out crowd of 40,000 for the concert.

“ This is a great win for the entire Gold Coast and Northern NSW. To have one of the most iconic and world class bands finish their Australian/NZ tour here at Metricon is fantastic, I’m sure we will have a sold out 40,000,” he said.

“This would not have been possible without the new Stadium deal we secured with the State government and without the enormous assistance from the council working side by side with us to make this happen.

“We are now focused on delivering a great festive atmosphere, with a huge and varied food/beverage offering so people can come early, have a great dinner experience and really enjoy the pre-show atmosphere that we can create at Metricon.”

The tour will begin at Brisbane’s Suncorp Stadium on February 13 and continue at ANZ Stadium Sydney on February 15, AAMI Park Melbourne on February 19, Optus Stadium in Perth on February 23 and Adelaide Oval on February 26.

Tickets go on sale April 15 from Ticketek, with a Telstra presale beginning on April 10.

Queen guitarist Brian May said in a statement: “Our last tour featured our most ambitious production ever and got us our best notices ever. So we decided to rip it apart and get even more ambitious! Watch out, Australia!”

The British band was formed in 1970 with the famous line up of Freddie Mercury, May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon.

It's the first time a big name band has chosen to split two shows between Brisbane and the Gold Coast, instead of just hosting two concerts in Brisbane. Hopefully this sets the precedent for future bands to also split shows between Suncorp and Metricon. Not having the two concerts within a few days of one another is a good thing too (Suncorp on Feb 13, Metricon on Feb 29). After the success of the recent Bohemian Rhapsody movie, they are expecting the concert to sell out with 40,000 attendees. We must thank Mark Evans and co. again for fixing the stadium deal last year because there's no way we would have secured this without it.

Due to football and cricket, we really only have two windows where we can host concerts: February and October-early December. Here's hoping we can secure another concert in the second window of 2020 and keep the big events coming to Metricon.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It should probably also be pointed out that we stand to gain a lot from this financially. If memory serves me correctly, the club made over $1 million profit from the Foo Fighters concert back in 2011 under the old stadium deal and a smaller crowd (based on predictions). Bon Jovi pulled out of their planned concert at Metricon because of the poor stadium deal so I think if we can show the big name acts that not only will they make money if they come here, but also that the Gold Coast public has an appetite for this by selling out the Queen concert then we are a much better chance of securing big names in the future. No doubt public transport will be a topic of hot debate when this concert rolls around but hopefully the state government and the local GC council recognise the events hub that Carrara has become and the need for a light rail extension from Broadbeach to Metricon so we no longer have this issue going forward.

Anyway, tickets go on sale in a week from now for anyone who is interested.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It should probably also be pointed out that we stand to gain a lot from this financially. If memory serves me correctly, the club made over $1 million profit from the Foo Fighters concert back in 2011 under the old stadium deal and a smaller crowd (based on predictions). Bon Jovi pulled out of their planned concert at Metricon because of the poor stadium deal so I think if we can show the big name acts that not only will they make money if they come here, but also that the Gold Coast public has an appetite for this by selling out the Queen concert then we are a much better chance of securing big names in the future. No doubt public transport will be a topic of hot debate when this concert rolls around but hopefully the state government and the local GC council recognise the events hub that Carrara has become and the need for a light rail extension from Broadbeach to Metricon so we no longer have this issue going forward.

Anyway, tickets go on sale in a week from now for anyone who is interested.

Wonder if there will be any pre-sale for GCFC members?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Wonder if there will be any pre-sale for GCFC members?
Looks like Telstra are doing pre-sale.
In theory would I be correct in saying the ferry service should be running to metricon by then? Helping much of the public transport issues.
I think you might be right (in theory). The media has suggested a ferry service would be operational by the end of this year so going by that we might have the opportunity to see Queen via ferry. I doubt it, though.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gather & FEAST at the Gold Coast’s newest Twilight MARKET at the Carrara Sports & Leisure Centre, conveniently located next to Metricon Stadium.

With 20+ amazing food trucks to choose from, enjoy delicious world food and sweet treats, handmade, designer and vintage stalls plus live music on stage and a pop up bar! Bring a picnic blanket and settle in for an evening of amazing food and entertainment. Not to mention a FREE kids jumping castle and a Currumbin Valley Fire Brigade display!

Kicking off on Friday May 3rd, from 4-9pm on the lush green grass.
This must be our answer to the demise of NightQuarter. Anyone planning on going to Gather & Feast tonight? Would fantastic if they were holding it next week on Saturday so the crowd from the Demons game at Metricon could naturally drift over to the markets area and have dinner/drinks before going home.

Back