News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
This must be our answer to the demise of NightQuarter. Anyone planning on going to Gather & Feast tonight? Would fantastic if they were holding it next week on Saturday so the crowd from the Demons game at Metricon could naturally drift over to the markets area and have dinner/drinks before going home.
can I park nearby?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Looks like all this talk about South East Queensland hosting the Olympics in 2032 could result in some serious upgrades to the Gold Coast's public transport network. No doubt Metricon would be used during the Games and they have already identified upgrading both light and heavy rail connectivity as one of the major requirements in the bid for the Olympics. Basically what I'm saying is that a light rail extension to Metricon is virtually guaranteed should we (SEQLD) secure the 2032 Olympic Games. A heavy rail extension to the Gabba (Cross River Rail most likely) would also happen so it would be a big win for QLD footy fans.

I imagine the possibility of a permanent upgrade to Metricon's seating capacity would also be a possibility if the tenants require such an upgrade. Hopefully by that stage we have our own Big Bash League team and we can push for a permanent upgrade in capacity to the 30-35k mark. That would put us in line with Brisbane as the Gabba is only capable of holding 36k these days.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Can’t see Brissie getting it, the time difference in the US lead to failed ratings during the Sydney Olympics and the yanks won’t want that again
The IOC President came out and publicly encouraged us to bid for the hosting rights to the 2032 Games. He even offered as much as $2.5 billion to convince us to bid. Now state MPs are saying it could be a 'cost neutral' Games and possibly even turn a profit if we manage to secure hosting rights.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Boost for Gold Coast sports under Labor election pledge
Federal Labor is promising a big investment in Gold Coast sporting facilities if it wins next weekend’s election.

The Opposition has pledged $1 million towards new women’s change facilities for the new Gold Coast Suns AFL Women’s team.

That’s on top of a $500,000 pledge from the State Government.

It comes as the Suns prepare to enter the AFLW from next year.

Labor Senator Murray Watt says it will help deliver first-class facilities for our newest elite football team.

“This is an exciting next stage in the Suns’ development and Labor is keen to help the club and its outstanding women players,” Senator Watt said.

“Federal Labor backs the Suns’ goal, of ensuring its women players have the very best facilities for this new beginning.”

Labor is also promising $550,000 to help build a new home for Football Gold Coast.

The organisation is currently run from various fields and rented offices but is in talks with Council about leasing land at Emerald Lakes.

Football Gold Coast will also chip in $450,000 for the first stage of its new base which will see a new high quality field and training centre as well as a new headquarters for the sport.

“Football Gold Coast is the second largest Football Zone in Queensland, with affiliated clubs stretching from Ormeau in the north to Murwillumbah, over the border,” Senator Watt said.

“Despite its prominence, the Gold Coast has never had a zone-wide football venue to host school, state or national carnivals, to deliver coach and referee training, or to conduct talent identification and development programs for girls and boys.

“It’s time this was fixed and football got the recognition its huge local supporter base deserves.”

This is positive news. I think it's really important for us to provide our female players with first class facilities from the very start because we know how much our original sub-par facilities hurt our men's team. It's also good for the overall Carrara sporting precinct that they are going to give some money to Football (Soccer) Gold Coast to build new headquarters just across the road from Metricon.

Certainly not trying to sway anyone to vote one way or another next week but history seems to suggest Labor has been more generous to us than any other party and this is another example of that. It probably helps that the State MP for Gaven (Carrara) is Labor's Meaghan Scanlon and she seems to value our contributions to the community and be very supportive. You can do a lot when you have government support!

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I won't be voting one way or the other (as I reside overseas)and I'm always sceptical of all promises from all parties. I just remember what my Dad once said to me, "you can't give to someone without first taking it from someone else".
Both major parties are full of oxygen thieves, they think we are all stupid, the “United Labour team” is just the height of hypocrisy after the Rudd , Gillard Rudd years. United my ass Shorten was holding the knife on both cases. Neither party cares about the people or the future of the country just their pensions and perks.

Rant over

chriswnorman

Draftee
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm interested to know what people do and don't like about Metricon Stadium.
Location? Parking? Food? Prices? Entertainment?
Post your thoughts.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Post your thoughts.
Yep, little or no parking (and the GC is a car city)
So travel to/from is reliant on buses (no train station nearby, its a 20+min walk away).

Not enough GA sections, and too high prices on the majority of seats you see on coverage hence they are empty

The food is fairly good, same fare as most stadiums. has a pretty good kebab place, and a burger place. and a donut place. used to be a Malaysian satay place but they left which is a shame as that was my personal go to each game.

Entertainment is mostly good. Like most grounds the PA at breaks is too loud. free wifi which mostly works ok.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Gold Coast ferry service trial to kick off by December
A ferry service trial on the Gold Coast is another step closer with the Mayor confident it will be up and running in December.

Council’s Transport and Infrastructure Committee today ticked off on the city’s contribution of $1 million to upgrade facilities at the five proposed stops.

A local company has been recommended to run the two-year trial with full Council to make a final call next month.

This came out a little over a week ago. If the ferries are up and running by December this year then I suspect they will be available for the cricket in December/January, the Queen concert in February and of course Suns home games between March-September.

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Post your thoughts.

Location: close to highway, close to central gc, perfect from that perspective. No bars / restaurants nearby which is a big feature of other grounds - have a few drinks with friends before walking to the ground which we can’t do.

Parking: what parking? obviously dismal. Bus situation terrible if >15k attendance and not particularly handy either - takes a long time to get home if using the buses. Train station too far away to be useful. Is the worst thing about attending games.

Food: don’t know, seems standard

Entertainment: if you can generate more wins that would boost the entertainment rating! Jess skarratt used to blow your ears out with her screeching. She seems to be gone now? I Like the bands / musicians playing in the half time break.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thought I’d ask this here too
What’s the best way to get to the stadium.
I fly into Brisbane on the Thursday before the crows game (to see my uncle going into surgery on Wednesday - my parents go up Monday)
Then on Saturday we’ll head down to the Gold Coast for the game at night.
But as I have an early flight on Sunday we’re staying at coolongata.

Taking into account we’re coming from Brisbane and staying at the airport. What’s the best way to get to the game?
Looking at the stadium precinct map I see there’s a car park in the north west next to the academy as we’ll as one south on the other side of the road.

Is it an issue getting in and out of it?

Or is bus the most convenient.

Also. I love how they show the cross section of the stands vs the mcg and marvel stadium on the website. Back row of the grand stand is a similar position to the 2nd/3rd level of the gss :eek: $35? Why yes please

if you're heading down from Brisbane by train, get off at Nerang and catch the free shuttle bus to Metricon....if you already have your tickets to the game, train travel is free.
We’ll be driving down and probably check into our hotel at coolongata earlier in the day

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Back