News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

We are already seeing a potential Childcare centre at Metricon Stadium. What else could we see the SUNS expand into?

Suns Afterschool/Beforeschool Programs?
Suns Cafe in Surfers/Broadbeach
A Suns Tram branded full suns advertising the club?
Suns store in a major shopping centre
Gold Coast Suns imagery lighting onto the Star
Gold Coast Suns advertisement in the airport
A SUNS trail similar to the Borabi one for GC2018
Naming rights for a major arena on the Gold Coast. Maybe the GC Sports Leisure centre could become SUNS Arena?
Super Netball Team
NBL Basketball Team
BBL/WBBL Cricket Team (if not a Queensland Premier Cricket team?)

Any other ideas?

We are already seeing a potential Childcare centre at Metricon Stadium. What else could we see the SUNS expand into?

Suns Afterschool/Beforeschool Programs?
Suns Cafe in Surfers/Broadbeach
A Suns Tram branded full suns advertising the club?
Suns store in a major shopping centre
Gold Coast Suns imagery lighting onto the Star
Gold Coast Suns advertisement in the airport
A SUNS trail similar to the Borabi one for GC2018
Naming rights for a major arena on the Gold Coast. Maybe the GC Sports Leisure centre could become SUNS Arena?
Super Netball Team
NBL Basketball Team
BBL/WBBL Cricket Team (if not a Queensland Premier Cricket team?)

Any other ideas?
Gold Coast Suns Radiology - Medical Imaging for Gold Coast Athletes - licence to print money!

AFL / Rugby League / Surfers / Surf Lifesavers / Swimmers / Track Athletes / Triathletes / Golfers / Lawn Bowlers - so many good Gold Coast athletes
+ all the budding amateurs and high schoolers

if the light rail gets the tram spur off to metricon, a standalone pub nearby with a suns affiliation would probably be the only way i could see that being feasible. no light rail just puts a pub in the middle of nowhere, even with a light rail its a bit of a stretch.

if the light rail gets the tram spur off to metricon, a standalone pub nearby with a suns affiliation would probably be the only way i could see that being feasible. no light rail just puts a pub in the middle of nowhere, even with a light rail its a bit of a stretch.
You either need to be in an entertainment area, or be a good local in the middle of a suburb to be a successful pub.

If people need to use transport to get to you, you’re foobared.

What did foo fighters get back in the day?
37,000. The Queen concert should eclipse that number and set an all-time attendance record at Carrara. We should also make a sweet profit out of it considering we pocketed over $1 million for the Foo Fighters concert in 2011 and that was under the old stadium deal which was not as profitable for us. No doubt promoters will also take notice of the large crowd for this event and look to schedule more headline acts at Metricon.

37,000. The Queen concert should eclipse that number and set an all-time attendance record at Carrara. We should also make a sweet profit out of it considering we pocketed over $1 million for the Foo Fighters concert in 2011 and that was under the old stadium deal which was not as profitable for us. No doubt promoters will also take notice of the large crowd for this event and look to schedule more headline acts at Metricon.

40,000 for the opening ceremony at the games I think is the record

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40,000 expected to show up for the Queen concert tonight (that would be a record crowd!). Let's hope the weather is kind and we do get a big crowd because it'll no doubt result in more musical concerts being held at Metricon and $$$ for us holders of management rights to the stadium.

40,000 expected to show up for the Queen concert tonight (that would be a record crowd!). Let's hope the weather is kind and we do get a big crowd because it'll no doubt result in more musical concerts being held at Metricon and $$$ for us holders of management rights to the stadium.

40k wow I can already list the complaints after the concert
1. Busses
2. Car parking
3. Food/drink lines
4. Food/drink run out

This is why they need a tram/light rail up there. Or a closer train station. Buses aren't enough.
Couldn't agree more. The good news is that the local GC government and Mayor Tom Tate have stated spur lines to the city's two stadiums are the next highest priority after airport connectivity. The bad news is that's still potentially three stages away as they have only just started work on the Broadbeach-Burleigh extension which will then lead into the Burleigh-Coolangatta extension. Then it's going to be a battle between us and the Titans as to which stadium deserves to be connected to the tram route first. Hopefully we have our own BBL team by then because I think that'll get us over the line in terms of being a higher priority for tram connectivity but I have a feeling we will lose that battle if it's just us vs the Titans. This is at least five years away btw.

Couldn't agree more. The good news is that the local GC government and Mayor Tom Tate have stated spur lines to the city's two stadiums are the next highest priority after airport connectivity. The bad news is that's still potentially three stages away as they have only just started work on the Broadbeach-Burleigh extension which will then lead into the Burleigh-Coolangatta extension. Then it's going to be a battle between us and the Titans as to which stadium deserves to be connected to the tram route first. Hopefully we have our own BBL team by then because I think that'll get us over the line in terms of being a higher priority for tram connectivity but I have a feeling we will lose that battle if it's just us vs the Titans. This is at least five years away btw.
If the team is getting more fans/getting successful by that point, aka more traffic, you'd think it would be more of a priority. Where is the titans stadium?

If the team is getting more fans/getting successful by that point, aka more traffic, you'd think it would be more of a priority. Where is the titans stadium?
The Gold Coast is a unique city where it's not always clear which sport reigns supreme but I think rugby league probably still has more sway when it comes to political support (particularly at the state level). If we start pulling massive crowds and the Titans don't then it would be an easier decision but casual sports fans in Queensland are typically fair weather and will really only attend in masses when the team is winning regularly. In fact, the analytics seem to show that the truly rusted on Suns and Titans fans that will show up to every home game are essentially the exact same amount (a little over 10k each).

The Titans stadium is located in Robina which is a major hub for shopping and other events. Having said that, the Robina train station is located about 600 metres from Robina stadium so you could probably argue they are already connected to public transport and therefore the Suns should be the higher priority. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way when it comes to politics.

The Gold Coast is a unique city where it's not always clear which sport reigns supreme but I think rugby league probably still has more sway when it comes to political support (particularly at the state level). If we start pulling massive crowds and the Titans don't then it would be an easier decision but casual sports fans in Queensland are typically fair weather and will really only attend in masses when the team is winning regularly. In fact, the analytics seem to show that the truly rusted on Suns and Titans fans that will show up to every home game are essentially the exact same amount (a little over 10k).

The Titans stadium is located in Robina which is a major hub for shopping and other events. Having said that, the Robina train station is located about 600 metres from Robina stadium so you could probably argue they are already connected to public transport and therefore the Suns should be the higher priority. Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way.

There's also a bus from the Coolangatta Airport to Robina Station (Route 760 departs every 30 mins and takes about 35 mins) and then a short walk to the Titans Cbus Stadium.

Last edited:
There's also a bus from the Coolangatta Airport to Robina Station (Route 760 departs every 30 mins and takes about 35 mins) and then a short walk to the Titans Cbus Stadium.

Having Robina train station close to the stadium makes me think they might do the light rail to there first picking up cbus but who knows how local government works I guess it’s who they can make the most money and votes off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back