News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I’m 6’6” and the two short oldies behind me were on their feet having a blast
Yes, I think that central seating would have been great
As I pointed out early on, that's where the rectangular stadiums have it in spades
It was probably a small portion of the crowd, but there were some very unhappy punters around me on the half forward flank /wing
One guy tried to start a fight over people standing up

The blue is the current schmozzle that is exiting Metricon.Pedestrian flows crossing each other and everything out through one side.The red is just some possibilities to improve exiting.Everyone who comes to the Stadium says it's great but the getting in and away puts people off.
View attachment 831740

83cce080c2bf9720fb245b70c9a867b9.jpg

Could possibly put a taxi rank in that slip road where I’ve circled yellow.. At the Gabba I had to walk a couple streets away for uber rank
If you moved things like car drop off and pick up zones and taxi and uber zones a bit further away from the bus zone might help a little bit

A footbridge over Nerang Broadbeach rd would be great but probably too expensive but with the new M2 connector dumping in 500m up the road they may see some advantages in terms of traffic flow and pedestrian safety
Maybe consider pedestrian lights outside the Sports Centre that only work on event days too

Maybe have bus zones on both side of nerang Broadbeach road could spread it out also with your idea of pedestrian lights

83cce080c2bf9720fb245b70c9a867b9.jpg

Could possibly put a taxi rank in that slip road where I’ve circled yellow.. At the Gabba I had to walk a couple streets away for uber rank
If you moved things like car drop off and pick up zones and taxi and uber zones a bit further away from the bus zone might help a little bit

Maybe have bus zones on both side of nerang Broadbeach road could spread it out also with your idea of pedestrian lights
The only trouble is thats where the Childcare is planned.

Yes, I think that central seating would have been great
As I pointed out early on, that's where the rectangular stadiums have it in spades
It was probably a small portion of the crowd, but there were some very unhappy punters around me on the half forward flank /wing
One guy tried to start a fight over people standing up
Haha yeah I get where you’re coming from - I know from experience that everyone on the floor is going to stand and everyone in the stands is going to sit.

either way it’s a rock concert - think they did well to have the big LED screens for the short-asses

There’s no reason section of road still couldn’t be used for taxi/uber it’s blocked off on game day anyway for public traffic.. it’ll just be like the school at the Gabba pretty much
stupid question but is that oval required now with the new facilities.. afterall, we have heard stories from players of doing their ankles on the uneven ground of that back oval there.

The big story in the Gold Coast Bulletin today is the council's decision to establish an 'electric bus rapid transit system'. The idea is to connect the western suburbs up with the light rail and Metricon is of course one of the major venues that will benefit from this project. Will it fix the transport issues we see on a fortnightly basis at Metricon? Probably not but there should at least be some improvements. A light rail extension from Broadbeach remains the ideal solution to our problems.

The big story in the Gold Coast Bulletin today is the council's decision to establish an 'electric bus rapid transit system'. The idea is to connect the western suburbs up with the light rail and Metricon is of course one of the major venues that will benefit from this project. Will it fix the transport issues we see on a fortnightly basis at Metricon? Probably not but there should at least be some improvements. A light rail extension from Broadbeach remains the ideal solution to our problems.
That kind of came out of the blue
These things only work if there's dedicated lanes
Otherwise you're just on an electric bus stuck in traffic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In years to come, Rhapsody may be seen as a template for stadium tours in these parts, with Brisbane and the Gold Coast scoring their own, separate gigs.

“TEG’s promoting companies will definitely look at bringing more world class content to the Metricon,” explains Geoff Jones, CEO of TEG, the entertainment giant which owns TEG Live, Van Egmond Group, and TEG Dainty, producer of the Queen tour. “It is a great stadium in a large catchment area.” TEG’s Ticketek business is the official supplier for the venue.

If TEG were happy with the Queen concert then we're a very good chance to get other big acts to come to Metricon! October-January is the ideal window to hold concerts here to avoid any ground damage for our AFL/AFLW games but we proved this year that we can host football matches a week before and after a big international concert.

Could we see the grandstands named?
I often hear the corporate area referred to as the 'Members Stand' but I don't believe the southern or eastern stands have any official or unofficial names. If we're going to seriously have this conversation then I think it's important to choose the right people to name the stands after. Adelaide Oval currently has stands named after cricketers - Edwin Smith Stand, Sir Donald Bradman Pavilion and the Chappell Stand; stands named after footballers - the Gavin Wanganeen Stand, Jack Oatey Stand, Max Basheer Stand, Fos Williams Stand and Mark Ricciuto Stand; and one named after... a river? The Riverbank stand.

We don't have the cricket history other Australian grounds have and it wouldn't be fitting to name a stand after a Brisbane Bears player who is associated with the Lions these days. No other tenants were based at Carrara long enough to warrant a stand being named after their player/s. Therefore, I think we are clear to name the stands after Suns players. I hope to sit in the David Swallow Stand one day!

I often hear the corporate area referred to as the 'Members Stand' but I don't believe the southern or eastern stands have any official or unofficial names. If we're going to seriously have this conversation then I think it's important to choose the right people to name the stands after. Adelaide Oval currently has stands named after cricketers - Edwin Smith Stand, Sir Donald Bradman Pavilion and the Chappell Stand; stands named after footballers - the Gavin Wanganeen Stand, Jack Oatey Stand, Max Basheer Stand, Fos Williams Stand and Mark Ricciuto Stand; and one named after... a river? The Riverbank stand.

We don't have the cricket history other Australian grounds have and it wouldn't be fitting to name a stand after a Brisbane Bears player who is associated with the Lions these days. No other tenants were based at Carrara long enough to warrant a stand being named after their player/s. Therefore, I think we are clear to name the stands after Suns players. I hope to sit in the David Swallow Stand one day!
The Ron Clarke Stand?
The Commonwealth Stand?

Random question from somebody that doesn’t live there.
What ever happened to the planned ferry along the river? That was also to come to Metricon on game day? Did the idea sink? (pun intended)
The Hopo ferries have been running since December. I don't believe they have built a stop at Metricon though. Not yet anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back