News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

It must be said that the surface at Metricon has held up remarkably well! You only have to look at the state of the Sydney Showgrounds (Giants Stadium) over the weekend to get an idea of how other grounds go when they host more than one fixture a weekend. We're very luckily to have a ground that is this durable and adaptable.

It must be said that the surface at Metricon has held up remarkably well! You only have to look at the state of the Sydney Showgrounds (Giants Stadium) over the weekend to get an idea of how other grounds go when they host more than one fixture a weekend. We're very luckily to have a ground that is this durable and adaptable.

Yeah and the ground staff might have something to do with that as well..........

Yeah and the ground staff might have something to do with that as well..........
Of course but I would have thought groundskeeping protocols were pretty standard across all AFL venues. Don't forget, Giants Stadium is an almost identical venue to Metricon so I think there's probably more to it than just maintenance work.

Of course but I would have thought groundskeeping protocols were pretty standard across all AFL venues. Don't forget, Giants Stadium is an almost identical venue to Metricon so I think there's probably more to it than just maintenance work.
Metricon is the better venue though

I just think we have a really good drainage ground (durable) as you mentioned,and an excellent ground staff to administer it, and maybe better year-round weather. The 3 go hand in hand in hand.

No disagreeing, but have you been to giants stadium to make that call?
The one thing it does have going for it is better public transport.
I have been to both venues multiple time and both have pros and cons

transport
The Giants win this hands down, you can even park at the venue, who da thit

atomsphere
Metricon wins this for me, sooooo many empty seats at Giant stadium

food and Beverage
giants win this with more variety and better access

overall appeal
Metricon is a much more aesthetically pleasing presinct

fan comfort
it’s bloody freezing in western Sydney

1595045295446.png 1595045311996.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was asked this morning if I knew why the stadium wasn’t completed right around at the scoreboard end.. does anyone know? Was it a cost issue or they decided it wasn’t needed until crowd numbers were regularly maximum capacity

I was asked this morning if I knew why the stadium wasn’t completed right around at the scoreboard end.. does anyone know? Was it a cost issue or they decided it wasn’t needed until crowd numbers were regularly maximum capacity
Not enough funding. We were lucky we got additional funding for covering down the other end of the ground- that wasn't initially included

1597464267540.png

Also, there isnt a lot of room down the other end to extend up to the top as seen with the comm games in the right corner

I think they knew we were unlikely to get the 20,000+ attendees to games in our first few years.
Not enough funding. We were lucky we got additional funding for covering down the other end of the ground- that wasn't initially included

View attachment 936221

Also, there isnt a lot of room down the other end to extend up to the top as seen with the comm games in the right corner
May have to find a way to incorporate the light tower at the northern end of the stadium like they did with the north-western light tower (see below). We would also have to find a way to incorporate the big screen into the filled-in second tier. I think the capacity could increase to about 30-32k if we filled it in but obviously we need to pull crowds that warrant an upgrade. When we start regularly pulling 20k to games then questions relating to an upgrade will be asked (like they have with Giants stadium in recent years). As of right now, the stadium capacity of 25k is suitable for us.

hY1x19j.jpg

I think they knew we were unlikely to get the 20,000+ attendees to games in our first few years.

May have to find a way to incorporate the light tower at the northern end of the stadium like they did with the north-western light tower (see below). We would also have to find a way to incorporate the big screen into the filled-in second tier. I think the capacity could increase to about 30-32k if we filled it in but obviously we need to pull crowds that warrant an upgrade. When we start regularly pulling 20k to games then questions relating to an upgrade will be asked (like they have with Giants stadium in recent years). As of right now, the stadium capacity of 25k is suitable for us.

hY1x19j.jpg

Some Ideas how the scoreboard could be incorporated- this way you bring the stands all the way around until you hit the scoreboard
1597469885116.png 1597469934498.png

We could also do what they do with perth- will require the scoreboard to be a little smaller to allow extra seating
1597470430078.png

or we could do what they do for some stadiums in soccer
1597470529411.png 1597470549053.png

You could even do it in stages starting by adding the section next to the media 1597470006738.png

Or even right at the start, have a few pop up stands like seen at MANUKA OVAL CANBERRA
1597470048385.png 1597470088530.png

fINA

I mean... I like our stadium how it is - It's different to most of the other stadiums in the league and has a different feel to the cold soulless hellholes like the Gabba and Marvel.

It's open and flows and it kind of matches who we are as a club.

Obviously I recognise the fact that eventually we'll need more seating and I don't mind the concept images of the roof going all the way around to meet up with the scoreboard but yeah, I love the current vibe of the place.

At the moment it kind of reminds me of a scaled down version of Ohio Stadium
1597502653618.png

I always likened Metricon to a miniature Adelaide oval. Built most of the way round, with an open area at one end. Great atmosphere. No stadium in the country compares to Adelaide oval as far a best stadium goes in my opinion, so to think of it as similar is high praise.
How good would it be if they included a raised hill!

How good would it be if they included a raised hill!

I was thinking this last night.. if they raised the grass area and moved the scoreboard back a bit like at Adelaide it would be great to stand on the hill as the standing areas down the wing are very limited viewing especially on those little crowded platforms

I know Metricon Stadium is meant to be boutique and small scale especially with the crowds we get however sometimes especially seeing it was built in modern times, I do think it was a really missed opportunity. Sometimes it really does feel a bit amateurish especially seeing great developments at the Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium.

There isn't any 'pubs' or 'live site potential' areas around. There isn't that walk from the city to the stadium like Optus, Adelaide Oval, Docklands, and even The Gabba. If we had our time again, maybe we had this development in a more centralised location. Even somewhere like Southport. There isn't that 'inside' feel of the stadium either. When you go to the MCG, AO, and Optus, when you enter the gates, you are in the stadium and this allows things such as bars, restaurants and function centres to be build inside providing great views of the city looking out from views in function rooms and restaurants- something that metricon lacks. As I said before, we could utilize LED lighting to have light shows and make the stadium more homely with coloured 'sails' etc.

Transport is really a major problem and really wasn't addressed well. We have busses but you can be waiting for ages to get home waiting for buses. Even Optus Stadium's bus terminal has a bit of thought into it which would have helped us.

Optus too has has great parklands around it that help create a relaxed feel that you can get to the stadium way before the event, enjoy some time outside then head in for the match. There are a lot of things that could get some attention and hopefully the next development, might also be a shift to a new centralised venue in 20-30 years time (same way that Fremantle moved to Optus after 25 years, Adelaide to AO after 23 and West Coast after 30 years.

Was the Carrara site the best option for the stadium? Maybe in hindsight more north next to Nerang Station where there are more room that could allow that extended parklands- again like Optus next to a train line. Could they have developed near Southport that would have gone where the now Comm games village is?

video for some terrific ideas put into Optus Stadium

I know Metricon Stadium is meant to be boutique and small scale especially with the crowds we get however sometimes especially seeing it was built in modern times, I do think it was a really missed opportunity. Sometimes it really does feel a bit amateurish especially seeing great developments at the Adelaide Oval and Optus Stadium.

There isn't any 'pubs' or 'live site potential' areas around. There isn't that walk from the city to the stadium like Optus, Adelaide Oval, Docklands, and even The Gabba. If we had our time again, maybe we had this development in a more centralised location. Even somewhere like Southport. There isn't that 'inside' feel of the stadium either. When you go to the MCG, AO, and Optus, when you enter the gates, you are in the stadium and this allows things such as bars, restaurants and function centres to be build inside providing great views of the city looking out from views in function rooms and restaurants- something that metricon lacks. As I said before, we could utilize LED lighting to have light shows and make the stadium more homely with coloured 'sails' etc.

Transport is really a major problem and really wasn't addressed well. We have busses but you can be waiting for ages to get home waiting for buses. Even Optus Stadium's bus terminal has a bit of thought into it which would have helped us.

Optus too has has great parklands around it that help create a relaxed feel that you can get to the stadium way before the event, enjoy some time outside then head in for the match. There are a lot of things that could get some attention and hopefully the next development, might also be a shift to a new centralised venue in 20-30 years time (same way that Fremantle moved to Optus after 25 years, Adelaide to AO after 23 and West Coast after 30 years.

Was the Carrara site the best option for the stadium? Maybe in hindsight more north next to Nerang Station where there are more room that could allow that extended parklands- again like Optus next to a train line. Could they have developed near Southport that would have gone where the now Comm games village is?

video for some terrific ideas put into Optus Stadium

I always wondered the same on location it was like they chose Carrara for the free land from the government and the light towers.. and technology became so advanced between 2010 and 2015 it was sort of caught between especially now with LED lighting ect so much more cost effective..

Interestingly the new Townsville stadium has an open uncovered end like Metricon

I always wondered the same on location it was like they chose Carrara for the free land from the government and the light towers.. and technology became so advanced between 2010 and 2015 it was sort of caught between especially now with LED lighting ect so much more cost effective..

Interestingly the new Townsville stadium has an open uncovered end like Metricon

Having an open end at one end isn’t overly a new concept. Heinz Field in Pittsburgh has an open end, as does Central Coast Stadium, and both those stadiums were done in the early 2000’s

Remove this Banner Ad

Back