Original Plans
1598631173988.png

1598631155893.png

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Geez that looks good. Hope they do this someday.
We will. Just need to justify the extra 5-7k seats by showing the current 25k capacity is too small. When we start playing finals and regularly sell out Metricon then it will be a conversation that is naturally brought up by the media. There are no historical elements preventing us like there are at Adelaide Oval so it will just be a matter of securing funding. Getting our own BBL franchise would help as well and I know the club is keen on gaining entry into the BBL. It would be similar to GWS and Collingwood having teams in Super Netball competition except we'd share a venue with our cricket team. Hopefully Cricket Australia are serious about expanding the BBL and give us a licence soon once this COVID situation passes.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We will. Just need to justify the extra 5-7k seats by showing the current 25k capacity is too small. When we start playing finals and regularly sell out Metricon then it will be a conversation that is naturally brought up by the media. There are no historical elements preventing us like there are at Adelaide Oval so it will just be a matter of securing funding. Getting our own BBL franchise would help as well and I know the club is keen on gaining entry into the BBL. It would be similar to GWS and Collingwood having teams in Super Netball competition except we'd share a venue with our cricket team. Hopefully Cricket Australia are serious about expanding the BBL and give us a licence soon once this COVID situation passes.

They'll also need to improve the Public Transport and parking situation when they increase attendance. From what I read, it should be done now as a priority...

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
a positive if they fill in the northern end upper level is it would probably be some really good seating, being pretty much never exposed to the sun.
downside is the suns warm up in the northern end right before the bounce and the northern end is where the opposition cheer squad sit (poor stadium design).

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
They'll also need to improve the Public Transport and parking situation when they increase attendance. From what I read, it should be done now as a priority...
Tom Tate has made it pretty clear multiple times that the highest priority for light rail extension after the airport is connectivity with our city's stadiums in Carrara and Robina. At the state level, we have Gaven Member (the only Labor member on the Gold Coast) Meaghan Scanlon who recently announced a $2 million east-west transport corridor study for the city which includes the first steps towards creating a business case for the Broadbeach-Nerang light rail extension. She also mentioned that Nerang-Broadbeach Rd will become a continuation of the $2.4 billion Coomera Connector project and therefore it was important to discuss future congestion now when we can plan for it by creating mass transport options such as light rail.

It's pretty obvious that Nerang-Broadbeach Rd is going to become a much busier corridor once the Coomera Connector is complete and the congestion will be multiplied on game days at Metricon so it makes a lot of sense to extend the light rail west from Broadbeach to get sports fans in and out of the stadium precinct without having to do deal with massive delays or parking issues. It might pay for the council to build a pub/restaurant precinct nearby as well so sports fans don't all leave the area at the same time once the game is over.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I
Tom Tate has made it pretty clear multiple times that the highest priority for light rail extension after the airport is connectivity with our city's stadiums in Carrara and Robina. At the state level, we have Gaven Member (the only Labor member on the Gold Coast) Meaghan Scanlon who recently announced a $2 million east-west transport corridor study for the city which includes the first steps towards creating a business case for the Broadbeach-Nerang light rail extension. She also mentioned that Nerang-Broadbeach Rd will become a continuation of the $2.4 billion Coomera Connector project and therefore it was important to discuss future congestion now when we can plan for it by creating mass transport options such as light rail.

It's pretty obvious that Nerang-Broadbeach Rd is going to become a much busier corridor once the Coomera Connector is complete and the congestion will be multiplied on game days at Metricon so it makes a lot of sense to extend the light rail west from Broadbeach to get sports fans in and out of the stadium precinct without having to do deal with massive delays or parking issues. It might pay for the council to build a pub/restaurant precinct nearby as well so sports fans don't all leave the area at the same time once the game is over.
I remember a potential fairy to Carrara... any news on this?

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I remember a potential fairy to Carrara... any news on this?
The Hopo ferries (hopo.com.au) were established in December 2019 so the infrastructure exists. They would just need to create a ferry terminal at Metricon which probably wouldn't be too costly. I think it's an idea that will probably be revisited next year when we (hopefully) return to normality.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I guess we can put this in here- Gymnastics Australian Championships moving from Melbourne to the GC for the next four years. Will be held at the Gold Coast Sports Leisure Centre
It's really nice to see that our local council is so active in trying to bring new events to the Gold Coast. Announcements like this are the true lasting legacy of the 2018 Commonwealth Games!

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
It's really nice to see that our local council is so active in trying to bring new events to the Gold Coast. Announcements like this are the true lasting legacy of the 2018 Commonwealth Games!
Potential future World Athletics Championships at Metricon too and the potential for Metricon and surrounding venues to be used for the 2032 Olympics if Queensland is successful.. I wonder if Metricon will be used for the rescheduled 2022 T20 World Cup too? A Rugby World Cup is coming to Australia in 2027 so there is the potential for Metricon to be used for that too not to mention a possibility of a Gold Coast NBL or Super Netball team to play at Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre and the much discussed possible Gold Coast BBL team playing at Metricon. Could potentially bring a Diamonds or Boomers/Opals match to GC too

Bring it on I say, bring it on!

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Potential future World Athletics Championships at Metricon too and the potential for Metricon and surrounding venues to be used for the 2032 Olympics if Queensland is successful.. I wonder if Metricon will be used for the rescheduled 2022 T20 World Cup too? A Rugby World Cup is coming to Australia in 2027 so there is the potential for Metricon to be used for that too not to mention a possibility of a Gold Coast NBL or Super Netball team to play at Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre and the much discussed possible Gold Coast BBL team playing at Metricon. Could potentially bring a Diamonds or Boomers/Opals match to GC too

Bring it on I say, bring it on!
That all sounds very exciting! The more world class events we can bring here, the better.

One thing to keep in mind is the plan to build a 10k roofed arena inside the CBD boundaries (Southport). We definitely need a venue of that size for musical concerts and what not so that potentially takes events away from Metricon but overall it's better for the city to have more venues for these kinds of events. I'd guess a potential future GC NBL franchise would likely set up base at the new 10k arena and a Super Netball franchise would probably be based at the GCSLC at Carrara due to the 5k capacity GC Convention & Exhibition Centre not being cost effective. Although the basketball team would likely train at the GCSLC where Basketball Gold Coast is based so the 10k arena would really only be used on game days. Obviously Squash Australia are already based at the Carrara Indoor Stadium (the venue between Metricon and the GCSLC) and we have Gold Coast Soccer across the road as well as the NPL Gold Coast Knights team about 600 north. There's also the KDV Golf and Tennis Academy about 400 metres away and Richmond are currently based at KDV's hotel. Then you add in the Emerald Lakes Golf Course a little south and over the road of Metricon as well as Royal Pines Resort about 800 metres east where the Australian PGA tournaments are regularly held.

So there are a lot of world class sports facilities/organisations in close vicinity to Metricon Stadium. The noticeable absentees are the Titans/rugby league (Robina) and rugby union (Broadbeach). Cricket is kind of half in, half out at the moment because their base is in Robina but the Brisbane Heat train/play at Metricon in the lead up to Gold Coast fixtures. A future GC BBL franchise would definitely be based at the GCSLC. The cricket facilities at Robina are a long way off those at Carrara so I wouldn't be surprised to see Carrara become the future home of cricket on the Gold Coast.

Last edited:

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
That all sounds very exciting! The more world class events we can bring here, the better.

One thing to keep in mind is the plan to build a 10k roofed arena inside the CBD boundaries (Southport). We definitely need a venue of that size for musical concerts and what not so that potentially takes events away from Metricon but overall it's better for the city to have more venues for these kinds of events. I'd guess a potential future GC NBL franchise would likely set up base at the new 10k arena and a Super Netball franchise would probably be based at the GCSLC at Carrara due to the 5k capacity GC Convention & Exhibition Centre not being cost effective. Although the basketball team would likely train at the GCSLC where Basketball Gold Coast is based so the 10k arena would really only be used on game days. Obviously Squash Australia are already based at the Carrara Indoor Stadium (the venue between Metricon and the GCSLC) and we have Gold Coast Soccer across the road as well as the NPL Gold Coast Knights team about 600 north. There's also the KDV Golf and Tennis Academy about 400 metres away and Richmond are currently based at KDV's hotel. Then you add in the Emerald Lakes Golf Course a little south and over the road of Metricon as well as Royal Pines Resort about 800 metres east where the Australian PGA tournaments are regularly held.

So there are a lot of world class sports facilities/organisations in close vicinity to Metricon Stadium. The noticeable absentees are the Titans/rugby league (Robina) and rugby union (Broadbeach). Cricket is kind of half in, half out at the moment because their base is in Robina but the Brisbane Heat train/play at Metricon in the lead up to Gold Coast fixtures. A future GC BBL franchise would definitely be based at the GCSLC. The cricket facilities at Robina are a long way off those at Carrara so I wouldn't be surprised to see Carrara become the future home of cricket on the Gold Coast.
Does anyone know why they Robina as the site for the rectangular stadium? They could have chosen the Carrara similar to what we with Melbourne Park and Moore Park having the oval and rectangular ground in the same precinct

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Does anyone know why they Robina as the site for the rectangular stadium? They could have chosen the Carrara similar to what we with Melbourne Park and Moore Park having the oval and rectangular ground in the same precinct

Councillors took less than an hour to unanimously accept land owner Robina Land Corporation's final offer, which came in slightly under $17 million.

Mayor Ron Clarke said the 5ha site near the railway station, the favoured option from day one, was the 'best deal' for ratepayers and football fans.

Councillors chose the Robina site over a rival bid at Nerang because of its central location, position above flood level, and its proximity to Robina Town Centre and other economic hubs.

The stadium was awarded to Robina despite a last-minute attempt by rival land owners at Nerang to undercut the bid. Japanese landowner Club Cavill slashed its asking price to $16 million from $24 million, in a bid to outdo the council-favoured Robina site.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Has anyone noticed the new LED permanent signage at the Gabba now fully on the fence? Would be good to see this implemented at Metricon over the temporary led boards that Huawei donated about half a meter inside the fence?
66735B31-78A8-41FC-80C7-EF0FDC1A046E.png
76025939-80DC-4625-A48C-96719821F8FB.png
43B9F2DF-6B50-412A-82E5-A9D1D2C26F70.png
E70A92A9-F9E4-4305-8ED7-B98A7020EDBD.png

Last edited:

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

It's official! The Roar have moved to Carrara and will have their first training session there on Monday. This is further confirmation that our training facilities at Carrara really are elite. Next up (hopefully) is our very own BBL franchise! 🤞

Are we the first AFL club to share training facilities with an A-League team on a full-time basis?

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast

It's official! The Roar have moved to Carrara and will have their first training session there on Monday. This is further confirmation that our training facilities at Carrara really are elite. Next up (hopefully) is our very own BBL franchise! 🤞

Are we the first AFL club to share training facilities with an A-League team on a full-time basis?

I don’t like it. We aren’t Brisbane. I want our own A League team called Gold Coast playing out of the Gold Coast.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I don’t like it. We aren’t Brisbane. I want our own A League team called Gold Coast playing out of the Gold Coast.
Gee whiz. You are tough to please.

Making connections and rubbing shoulders with other professional sports teams on a daily basis is obviously beneficial and I believe we may even be getting a small financial boost from this. If the alternative to this announcement was starting a local A-League franchise then obviously we'd explore the latter but that hasn't been on the cards for close to a decade now. Professional soccer on the Gold Coast is coming from a long way back after the Clive Palmer debacle. Little steps like this are necessary to put our city in a position to re-enter the A-League in the future.

It's in our best interests to attract as many tenants to the Carrara Sport Precinct as possible. This is a positive step forward for us as an organisation.

Back