News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee whiz. You are tough to please.

Making connections and rubbing shoulders with other professional sports teams on a daily basis is obviously beneficial and I believe we may even be getting a small financial boost from this. If the alternative to this announcement was starting a local A-League franchise then obviously we'd explore the latter but that hasn't been on the cards for close to a decade now. Professional soccer on the Gold Coast is coming from a long way back after the Clive Palmer debacle. Little steps like this are necessary to put our city in a position to re-enter the A-League in the future.

It's in our best interests to attract as many tenants to the Carrara Sport Precinct as possible. This is a positive step forward for us as an organisation.

As I said the The Vic-Yeah maybe I just don’t want the FFA to now think that the Roar cover off all of SE QLD.
I was a GCU member and it be great to once again in summer go to Soccer games.
The Roar fan base and club were the ones that campaigned the hardest to kick GCU out. They got their wAy and are now moving in.
As far as I’m concerned BrisC Roar can GAGF.
The Coast will rise again.

As I said the The Vic-Yeah maybe I just don’t want the FFA to now think that the Roar cover off all of SE QLD.
I was a GCU member and it be great to once again in summer go to Soccer games.
The Roar fan base and club were the ones that campaigned the hardest to kick GCU out. They got their wAy and are now moving in.
As far as I’m concerned BrisC Roar can GAGF.
The Coast will rise again.
Well I'm glad you're not the one making the decisions at our club. As far as I'm concerned, we should be using all available resources in our region of South East Queensland/Northern NSW to power forward as an organisation. What you're suggesting is essentially the equivalent of Fremantle cutting off all ties to Perth or Geelong cutting off all ties to Melbourne. That would not be a smart move for either club.

Are we going to cut off Northern NSW as well because they aren't Gold Coasters? Why don't we just go all the way with this and build a Trump wall around the GC borders and cut everyone off that won't pledge allegiance to the Gold Coast?

Out of curiosity, how did you feel about a team based in New South Wales bearing our city's name in the NSWRL from 1989 to 1995? Surely you must have been furious.

Well I'm glad you're not the one making the decisions at our club. As far as I'm concerned, we should be using all available resources in our region of South East Queensland/Northern NSW to power forward as an organisation. What you're suggesting is essentially the equivalent of Fremantle cutting off all ties to Perth or Geelong cutting off all ties to Melbourne. That would not be a smart move for either club.

Are we going to cut off Northern NSW as well because they aren't Gold Coasters? Why don't we just go all the way with this and build a Trump wall around the GC borders and cut everyone off that won't pledge allegiance to the Gold Coast?

Out of curiosity, how did you feel about a team based in New South Wales bearing our city's name in the NSWRL from 1989 to 1995? Surely you must have been furious.

Calm down, it’s opinions. What is it with this forum as opposed to the Titans one.
You should have surely noticed how often I call us the Gold Coast-Tweed in my posts.
Nothing more needs to be said there.

Gold Coast Suns reveal plans to develop a second oval that can host AFLW games

THE Gold Coast Suns have plans to turn one of its training ovals into an elite AFLW training facility with grandstands so it can host AFLW games at the ground.
The Suns have three ovals at their disposal, with the club’s womens team currently using Metricon Stadium for home games during the AFLW season.

Gold Coast revamped part of it’s training and administration centre to build change rooms for the female players have now revealed plans to upgrade the western oval, located directly in front of it’s headquarters, that can cater for their games in the next two years.

“We have got some really big plans to take the number two oval and turn that into an AFLW elite training facility with grandstands so we can have AFLW games hosted at our site at Carrara,” Suns chairman Tony Cochrane said.

New festival heading for Metricon in May 2021. Plenty going on in 2021 with Guns N Roses, Keith Urban and now this festival all being announced over the last few weeks.

New festival heading for Metricon in May 2021. Plenty going on in 2021 with Guns N Roses, Keith Urban and now this festival all being announced over the last few weeks.
That’s awesome!

Downside, I arrive on the Gold Coast a day late .
I’d have ditched the family for a day for that one.

I’m going to Sunday’s game
Yes your correct, there are two matches!

Brisbane Bullets v South East Melbourne Phoenix
Friday 18th December, 7:00pm (QLD time)
Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre

Brisbane Bullets v South East Melbourne Phoenix
Sunday 20th December, 12:00pm (QLD time)
Gold Coast Sports and Leisure Centre

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That looks great BUT when we re-enter the NBL I’d like it to be at the Convention Centre again.
Would be great to have a team again, not sure it will happen anytime soon. Also I can’t see this venue not being the home court, i like the convention centre ( great location and walking distance for me) but the team would likely be housed and train at Metricon so playing there as well makes sense

what would we call the team Boddsy?

Would be great to have a team again, not sure it will happen anytime soon. Also I can’t see this venue not being the home court, i like the convention centre ( great location and walking distance for me) but the team would likely be housed and train at Metricon so playing there as well makes sense

Dolphins??

That looks great BUT when we re-enter the NBL I’d like it to be at the Convention Centre again.
IF we get a new NBL franchise in the future then it will almost definitely be based at the new 10k indoor arena that the council wants to build in Southport/Miami/Robina. One of the biggest reasons the Blaze failed was because the rental costs at the convention centre were ridiculously high and they had no other suitable options for a home venue at the time. Soon there will be three options with the new indoor arena, the convention centre and the GCSLC.

I remember the Blaze bid team initially wanted to name the franchise the 'Gold Coast Heat' but then ran into issues with the Miami Heat in the NBA. The options are somewhat limited for this reason.

Revealed: Location of new elite sport field as Carrara attracts national sporting team
CARRARA is a clear winner to attract a new national sporting team beating off two rival Gold Coast precincts, according to a council report.

The key factors which enabled the Commonwealth Games host venue to beat rivals were the Gold Coast Sport and Leisure Centre, access to the Suns old demountable offices, top class gymnasium and having two elite soccer pitches.

z32bkPO.jpg

It has been revealed that council considered Cbus Stadium at Robina which would have included use of the rectangular sporting field and Bond University High Performance Centre.

Their third possibility was the Gold Coast Performance Centre at Runaway Bay which has onsite offices, access to an inside running track along with a high performance gymnasium and soccer field.

Officers in a report, considered behind closed doors by councillors for commercial reasons, said the potential site had to include professional office facilities, change rooms, high performance gyms along with parking and be capable of hosting gala events.

Asked if Carrara was the precinct which could attract new national sporting sides, area councillor Bob La Castra told the Bulletin "Absolutely. It's a the city's sporting hub. Runaway Bay is too far out anyway."

"Everything is in that area (at Carrara) and Cbus is expensive to use and is not our stadium, of course (belonging to the State Government).

Councillors have ticked off on approving funding of $97,000 for the first two years and $50,000 for the final two years to attract a National Sports Business to the Coast.

Officers in their report said the Coast had proved during 2020 that it was the perfect location for domestic and international sporting teams to train and play during COVID restrictions.

"During this time the city has also fielded significant interest from national sporting organisations to relocate their operations to the Gold Coast," the report said.

"This has been attributed to multitude of factors which has included the impact of COVID-19, what the Gold Coast has to offer in both facilities and lifestyle and the current media commentary of a potential Olympic Games in which the Coast could play a contributing role."

The report suggests council aims to attract a "well branded sporting tenant to a major sporting venue on the Gold Coast" which would create 50 full-time job.

Council's return on an initial investment of $97,000 would be $5.25 million.

Councillors have agreed to spend $200,000 on a new elite field at Carrara with mapping showing it would be developed on the site's northern edge next to the Nerang River.

The field would not be available until November, the council officers in the meantime could negotiate use of other fields between the Suns and the Brisbane Roar which relocated for training here.

Cr La Castra believes both teams are "working in together with few clashes".

He said the new elite field would enable the existing top training ground to be used for soccer, rather than having to rely on other grounds opposite the stadium.

"Then they will have access to all the change rooms. Everything is there for them," Cr La Castra said.

Since the redevelopment of Metricon Stadium in 2011, almost $300 million has been invested in the precinct which hosted the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

An updated master plan for the sporting hub is expected to be considered in March.

This may well be the first step to us getting our own A-League franchise again. Looks like the new elite rectangular ground will be completed in November which matches up with the 2021-22 A-League season. It looks like the Brisbane Roar will start using our old demountable buildings as well.

Not sure what this means for our planned women's 5k stadium but I assume that will be built on the other side of the stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back