The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Do they still have Baseball at the Olympics??
Could be used for that maybe.
Yeah. Cricket is trying to get in too and Metricon would be bigger than AB Field. Soccer or Rugby could also be at Metricon

what it would mean though is that we aren’t out of action at Metricon for a substantial period of time as they won’t need to install the athletics track.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Yeah. Cricket is trying to get in too and Metricon would be bigger than AB Field. Soccer or Rugby could also be at Metricon

what it would mean though is that we aren’t out of action at Metricon for a substantial period of time as they won’t need to install the athletics track.

Baseball is probably the strongest option for Metricon.

Soccer would most likely be based at Suncorp (and other venues around the country), and Rugby 7's most likely being played at Robina.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Looks like we are keeping Metricon in 2032 BUT with events at the GCLC we could get better transport?

that broadbeach park stadium looks interesting (on the sporting fields south of the bowls club. wonder if that's going to be a temporary or permanent structure?

edit: just read in the report its a temp one for beach volleyball

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
There is plans to extend down to the airport there would be four stops after Varsity Tallebudgera Elanora Tugun Gold Coast Airport.
Yep plans been around for a while. But gccc obsessed with light rail down past burleigh which i think is ludicrous

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Yep plans been around for a while. But gccc obsessed with light rail down past burleigh which i think is ludicrous
I was ok with the light rail extension but have since found out the GCCC are using the extension as a reason to review the height limits ( currently 3 stories or 15 m) along the route to allow developers to build 15 story buildings, destroying the community feel of areas such as Mermaid, Nobbys, Miami, Burleigh etc and no doubt pocketing some $$$ along the way

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
I was ok with the light rail extension but have since found out the GCCC are using the extension as a reason to review the height limits ( currently 3 stories or 15 m) along the route to allow developers to build 15 story buildings, destroying the community feel of areas such as Mermaid, Nobbys, Miami, Burleigh etc and no doubt pocketing some $$$ along the way
i've always questioned why they wanted the light rail to go to the airport before the heavy rail. the height limit is the most logical explanation, as no one in their right mind is going to go from helensvale to the gc airport via light rail as it would probably take 3 hours haha. areas like palm beach make less sense for the light rail when it's already busy as a two lane road (seen talks of various redesigns of the roads to accommodate the LR through palmy, seems odd). but yeah, can see lots of people using it when it's finished down to the airport but for short trips. i reckon it will make so much more sense when they start running the spur lines into robina/varsity/nerang/etc. a link from broady to nerang station via metricon stadium (and likewise through robina) would see massive benefits. will make people buying in the inland suburbs more viable and valuable i reckon.

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
i've always questioned why they wanted the light rail to go to the airport before the heavy rail. the height limit is the most logical explanation, as no one in their right mind is going to go from helensvale to the gc airport via light rail as it would probably take 3 hours haha. areas like palm beach make less sense for the light rail when it's already busy as a two lane road (seen talks of various redesigns of the roads to accommodate the LR through palmy, seems odd). but yeah, can see lots of people using it when it's finished down to the airport but for short trips. i reckon it will make so much more sense when they start running the spur lines into robina/varsity/nerang/etc. a link from broady to nerang station via metricon stadium (and likewise through robina) would see massive benefits. will make people buying in the inland suburbs more viable and valuable i reckon.

The 777 bus from airport to Broadbeach south works fine I would be doing your idea before sending light rail down there

SunShark

Debutant
May 25, 2021
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Southport Sharks, GC Titans

This seems stupid and I'd be pretty annoyed if I was Brisbane, but if it's true I might grab a ticket. Haven't been able to get to any game since Rd 9 and been craving one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

This seems stupid and I'd be pretty annoyed if I was Brisbane, but if it's true I might grab a ticket. Haven't been able to get to any game since Rd 9 and been craving one.

Think you'll find it's to allow St.Kilda to fly back to Vic unscathed. If they played at the Gabba (which is a red zone for Vics) then they'd have to quarantine when they got back to Vic.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
So, apparently Queensland Govt is “finding a multi model study to look at the different options for rapid transit along Nerang Broadbeach rd so light rail will be considered along with other modes of transport”

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
a light rail spur line from broadbeach to metricon stadium,linking up to nerang heavy rail station is a must.
as is another spur line through to Robina stadium, and perhaps further to robina heavy rail station.
light rail from burleigh to palm beach and cooly is not.
but heavy rail from varsity lakes to airport is.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would this be the Lions first home H&A game at Carrara since the Bears days?
They played a few "away" games at Carrara during North Melbourne's time up here as well as another "away" game against Hawthorn in 2006 while the MCG was unavailable during the Commonwealth Games:

2 August 2008 - Kangaroos 13.14 (92) def. Lions 11.18 (84) in front of 10,037 fans
21 April 2007 - Kangaroos 12.15 (87) def. Lions 8.15 (63) in front of 11,133 fans
13 May 2006 - Lions 16.10 (106) def. Hawks 9.12 (66) in front of 12,315 fans

Interestingly, Michael Rischitelli played in all of these games.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would the club be making money from these neutral games at Metricon?

Or would the ‘home’ team taking any match day earnings on food and drink sales etc.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Among the big tickets items which are being named as priorities by the council are light rail Stage 4 from Burleigh Heads to the border, the extension of the heavy rail from Varsity Lakes to Gold Coast Airport and east-west electric buses which will integrate with the tram network connecting it with Cbus and Metricon stadiums and Robina and Nerang respectively.
From the GCB. Appears that there won’t be a tram to Metricon instead an electric bus service.

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
The stadium needs a bus drop off zone across the road so certain buses (say from Boowagon park n ride) don't need to go past the stadium, get suck in traffic, then do a uturn further up toward nerang, before coming back to drop off on stadium side. So a drop off zone and large pedestrian bridge across the road is needed.
If we get successful we may be able to get an upgrade to fill in the open end with more stands - but i doubt it as there wont be a spare few million laying around in Qld budget.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back