News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Also no Olympic events at Metricon so no facility upgrades which is a disappointment as by 2032 the stadium will need some
Not yet. The venues proposed aren't yet final. In my opinion, I think cricket will get the nod as one of the host cities choice sports. Metricon would be the best suited facility big enough so could host the cricket or cricket finals.

Not yet. The venues proposed aren't yet final. In my opinion, I think cricket will get the nod as one of the host cities choice sports. Metricon would be the best suited facility big enough so could host the cricket or cricket finals.
If the host city gets to select a sport then surely Plebasuck selects rorting, shoe in for the gold

Believe it or not, some people in Queensland don't like the Labor Party/Palaszczuk...

This is definitely the minority though as evidenced by Labor's landslide victory in the state election late last year. In fact, the Queensland branch of the LNP never really recovered from the Fitzgerald Inquiry in the late 80s which exposed mass corruption/misconduct within the Queensland Police and the QLD National Party. Queenslanders have often punished the Nationals/LNP ever since and Labor has had a stronghold on state elections for the last three decades. The so called 'conservative state' of Queensland is probably the most left leaning of all Australian states these days. People will claim corruption within either party due to their own affiliations/agendas but the truth of the matter is the Nationals/LNP in QLD have a very dark history of corruption as mentioned above and clearly the majority of Queenslanders don't forgive or forget very easily.

On topic - Hopefully cricket is approved as a sport for the 2032 Games and Metricon is used/upgraded. That'd be a great outcome for our club and our city.

ld on state elections for the last three decades. The so called 'conservative state' of Queensland is probably the most left leaning of all Australian states these days. People will claim corruption within either party due to their own affiliations/agendas but the truth of the matter is the Nationals/LNP in QLD have a very dark history of corruption as mentioned above and clearly the majority of Queenslanders don't forgive or forget very easily.
I wouldn't argue that Queensland is a left leaning state (as evidenced by the likes of Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter getting into federal politics, the 2019 Federal election and the refusal to have daylight saving). Queensland Labor are definitely NOT left-wing. Qld Labor won an election off border closures which is about as right-wing as Donald Trump's "I am going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it" rhetoric, Brexit and "stop the boats". Certainly nothing left-wing about saying that Queensland hospitals are for Queenslanders only as well whilst letting a baby in Ballina die over a line drawn on a map in 1859.

Believe it or not, some people in Queensland don't like the Labor Party/Palaszczuk...

This is definitely the minority though as evidenced by Labor's landslide victory in the state election late last year. In fact, the Queensland branch of the LNP never really recovered from the Fitzgerald Inquiry in the late 80s which exposed mass corruption/misconduct within the Queensland Police and the QLD National Party. Queenslanders have often punished the Nationals/LNP ever since and Labor has had a stronghold on state elections for the last three decades. The so called 'conservative state' of Queensland is probably the most left leaning of all Australian states these days. People will claim corruption within either party due to their own affiliations/agendas but the truth of the matter is the Nationals/LNP in QLD have a very dark history of corruption as mentioned above and clearly the majority of Queenslanders don't forgive or forget very easily.

On topic - Hopefully cricket is approved as a sport for the 2032 Games and Metricon is used/upgraded. That'd be a great outcome for our club and our city.
This website is titled BIG FOOTY.....and when I come here, I expect to find views expressed on all things footy....

Please find another site to post your political views.....

Not here......
Damn it…

Come on, I come from a staunch Union family (dad was secretary to a Union before he retired). I really wanted to have a say on how non left leaning QLD can be.

I know a poster has asked us to not discuss politics in this thread and I respect that but I feel this post needs to be responded to as it is misleading.

I wouldn't argue that Queensland is a left leaning state (as evidenced by the likes of Pauline Hanson and Bob Katter getting into federal politics, the 2019 Federal election and the refusal to have daylight saving).
I would argue it is a left leaning state (now) when it comes to state elections considering 52 seats are currently held by the Labor Party and another 2 seats are held by the Greens. The Katters holding 3 seats in north-west Queensland certainly doesn't prove the opposite in my mind. Those 3 KAP seats equate to around 100,000 of the 5.2 million people living in Queensland which is less than 2 per cent of our state's population. One Nation currently holds 1 seat in Queensland and the population in that seat is less than 35,000. The Labor Party and Greens have a near clean sweep of Brisbane and there's about 2.5 million people living in Brisbane these days. Just so it's clear, I'm strictly talking about state politics here.

Queensland Labor are definitely NOT left-wing. Qld Labor won an election off border closures which is about as right-wing as Donald Trump's "I am going to build a wall and make Mexico pay for it" rhetoric, Brexit and "stop the boats".
It really depends on what you consider left leaning policies and that's certainly one way to spin it. Another way would be that the Labor Party prioritised health over the economy and closed the border to states that potentially put us at risk of going down the same path. The majority of the Queensland public clearly felt the latter was true and rewarded the Labor Party last year with a landslide election victory. Obviously some of our industries like tourism took a big hit last year but we're currently seeing the worst case scenario alternative play out in Sydney and I feel fortunate to live in a state that hasn't had to go through what Victoria or New South Wales have in the last 12 months. Maybe you feel differently and that's your prerogative.

Certainly nothing left-wing about saying that Queensland hospitals are for Queenslanders only as well whilst letting a baby in Ballina die over a line drawn on a map in 1859.
It's important to give the full context of this story to understand what actually happened. A day or two after the story first broke it was revealed that the doctor she was seeing in Ballina actually told her that she wouldn't be able to cross the border and so the mother didn't even bother attempting to apply for an exemption because she assumed the doctor was giving her correct advice. The QLD politicians didn't even know about the situation until after the fact and then they made it very clear that emergency situations like this would be granted exemptions to cross the border and access our hospitals. The doctor was at fault here for giving her really bad advice and that cost a child's life.

I know a poster has asked us to not discuss politics in this thread and I respect that but I feel this post needs to be responded to as it is misleading.

I would argue it is a left leaning state (now) when it comes to state elections considering 52 seats are currently held by the Labor Party and another 2 seats are held by the Greens. The Katters holding 3 seats in north-west Queensland certainly doesn't prove the opposite in my mind. Those 3 KAP seats equate to around 100,000 of the 5.2 million people living in Queensland which is less than 2 per cent of our state's population. One Nation currently holds 1 seat in Queensland and the population in that seat is less than 35,000. The Labor Party and Greens have a near clean sweep of Brisbane and there's about 2.5 million people living in Brisbane these days. Just so it's clear, I'm strictly talking about state politics here.
Nothing left-wing about Queensland Labor at all.

It really depends on what you consider left leaning policies and that's certainly one way to spin it.
Real lefties dream of a world where everyone has access to health care and a world without borders. Closing borders within our own country goes completely against that ideology.

Another way would be that the Labor Party prioritised health over the economy and closed the border to states that potentially put us at risk of going down the same path.
That is complete nonsense. The ACT (who are also Labor) was completely open to every state last year except Victoria during their second wave (the ONLY border closure that was actually justified last year), and they now haven't a local covid case in over a year. They are the only mainland jurisdiction to not have a second lockdown as well.
The majority of the Queensland public clearly felt the latter was true and rewarded the Labor Party last year with a landslide election victory. Obviously some of our industries like tourism took a big hit last year but we're currently seeing the worst case scenario alternative play out in Sydney and I feel fortunate to live in a state that hasn't had to go through what Victoria or New South Wales have in the last 12 months. Maybe you feel differently and that's your prerogative.
The border closure was about getting the votes of people who just liked the idea of people in NSW not being able to enter Queensland. The fact that NRL players were allowed to fly into Sydney, play a contact sport in front of crowds with no mask mandate, come back into Queensland, have no requirements to self-isolate for two weeks and then play in front of crowds in Queensland with no mask mandate. This is proof that the border closure last year was all about politics. As well as the fact that regional NSW was magically undeclared a hotspot a few days after the election (even though there were * all cases there last year).

It's important to give the full context of this story to understand what actually happened. A day or two after the story first broke it was revealed that the doctor she was seeing in Ballina actually told her that she wouldn't be able to cross the border and so the mother didn't even bother attempting to apply for an exemption because she assumed the doctor was giving her correct advice. The QLD politicians didn't even know about the situation until after the fact and then they made it very clear that emergency situations like this would be granted exemptions to cross the border and access our hospitals. The doctor was at fault here for giving her really bad advice and that cost a child's life.
Palaszczuk was at fault for closing the border and not including Ballina in the bubble to begin with even though there was no cases in NSW north of Newcastle.

She also didn't care a baby died when she was banging on about how Queensland hospitals were only for Queenslanders.

Real lefties want to see everyone get access to health care no matter what, Palaszczuk's comment goes against that ideology. Queensland Labor are definitely not left-wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing left-wing about Queensland Labor at all.

Real lefties dream of a world where everyone has access to health care and a world without borders. Closing borders within our own country goes completely against that ideology.

That is complete nonsense. The ACT (who are also Labor) was completely open to every state last year except Victoria during their second wave (the ONLY border closure that was actually justified last year), and they now haven't a local covid case in over a year. They are the only mainland jurisdiction to not have a second lockdown as well.

The border closure was about getting the votes of people who just liked the idea of people in NSW not being able to enter Queensland. The fact that NRL players were allowed to fly into Sydney, play a contact sport in front of crowds with no mask mandate, come back into Queensland, have no requirements to self-isolate for two weeks and then play in front of crowds in Queensland with no mask mandate. This is proof that the border closure last year was all about politics. As well as the fact that regional NSW was magically undeclared a hotspot a few days after the election (even though there were fu** all cases there last year).

Palaszczuk was at fault for closing the border and not including Ballina in the bubble to begin with even though there was no cases in NSW north of Newcastle.

She also didn't care a baby died when she was banging on about how Queensland hospitals were only for Queenslanders.

Real lefties want to see everyone get access to health care no matter what, Palaszczuk's comment goes against that ideology. Queensland Labor are definitely not left-wing.
I'd like to respond to this post properly as well but I implied in my last post that I'd only give one response due to others on here not wanting to see political posts. I'll just say that there's a difference between left leaning and 'real lefties' as you put it. There's a spectrum and I didn't state Queensland was all the way left, just that it leans left of centre (at the moment). You say there's nothing left wing about Queensland but another great recent example of Queensland leaning left occurred in late 2017 when 61% of Queenslanders voted in favour of same sex marriage being legalised. How is that not an indication of a left leaning state?

One more thing just because you decided to take an unwarranted shot at someone and blame a very serious situation (death) on them - Palaszczuk's comment about Queensland hospitals being for Queenslanders was two weeks BEFORE the Ballina baby situation. You've made it out like the baby died and she made the comment afterward, which is simply not true and paints a very different picture. Go back and watch the press conference where they first commented on the Ballina baby situation and you'll find they were compassionate and very clear that New South Welshmen could enter Queensland hospitals for emergency situations like this one. Private message me if you want to continue this conversation because I feel you've got some warped views on what ACTUALLY happened last year.

Now let's move on.

I wonder if Metricon will be permanently upgraded to 32-35,000 seats if we get the cricket? Does the ICC have some kind of minimum capacity requirement for being international tournaments?

Whatever happened to this idea? I thought it would be high on the clubs list of things to get going as there’s no external revenue incomes for the club apart from the afl, the stadium, sponsors and selling a game to Darwin
Good question. I was under the impression that the smaller oval on the southern side of Metricon is now going to be transformed into a 5k seated AFLW stadium for our women's team. That would likely mean the daycare idea goes out the window.

Tony Cochrane has suggested the GABBA will be out of action for 3-3.5 years, I presume that would mean more football and cricket etc. for Metricon during that period.
Maybe this is the trigger for us to secure light rail connectivity to Metricon and potentially even a capacity upgrade? The Lions currently have 40,000 members so if we have potentially as many as 25-30k Brisbane fans heading down to Nerang station every second week for 3-4 years then there's going to be a lot of problems servicing those people via shuttle buses. The same could be said about popular cricket fixtures like certain Brisbane Heat games or even the Ashes.

I think the best case scenario for us would be light rail being built from Broadbeach to Nerang heavy rail station with a stop just outside Metricon as well as a permanent upgrade to Metricon's seating capacity to 32-35k by filling in the open end. The population of the Gold Coast will be very close to a million by 2029 when the Gabba is supposed to be done so it does make sense for these upgrades to occur. Particularly if cricket is confirmed as an Olympic sport for the 2032 Games at some point between now and then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back