The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
close up the northern end, move the members & sunscreamers up there, move score board to above the food & drink outlets near the corporate sections. get it started!!
7021A393-DA67-4053-8DFB-E28D0090E3DD.png

HereIam86

Club Legend
Jun 5, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
La lakers Brisbane Heat
Tony Cochrane has suggested the GABBA will be out of action for 3-3.5 years, I presume that would mean more football and cricket etc. for Metricon during that period.

Back in April one of the Lions staff on the roar deal was saying the state government wants the Lions to play in regional QLD when the Gabba is getting rebuilt. A few on the Lions board think it will be games in Springfield regional QLD and Gold Coast.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Do we know what the update with the following club developments are?

1. Gold Coast Suns Early Learning Centre (Childcare proposal for the training oval)

2. Elite AFLW Stadium with grandstand for Metricon Oval no.2?

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
update on the childcare centre.
DA was initially lodged on 1/7/2019, approved 11/2/20. minor amendment was made on 26/8/20, and again on 7/5/21. the latter was approved by council on 2/8/21. application number is MIN/2021/202 for anyone that wants to look it up.

in the latest amendment, the development was split into 2 stages, with stage 2 being a training college. so expect the childcare centre to be built first, followed by the training college a ways down the track i'd imagine. in the cover letter it notes the change with the staging of the training college as financial reasons, so sounds like it's still going ahead but just spreading out some funds

below are some general images/plans from the latest drawings available.

1629191854785.png

1629191871437.png

1629191884333.png

1629191942387.png

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
DA was initially lodged on 1/7/2019, approved 11/2/20. minor amendment was made on 26/8/20, and again on 7/5/21. the latter was approved by council on 2/8/21. application number is MIN/2021/202 for anyone that wants to look it up.

in the latest amendment, the development was split into 2 stages, with stage 2 being a training college. so expect the childcare centre to be built first, followed by the training college a ways down the track i'd imagine. in the cover letter it notes the change with the staging of the training college as financial reasons, so sounds like it's still going ahead but just spreading out some funds

View attachment 1208901

View attachment 1208902

View attachment 1208903

View attachment 1208904
That is great! Thanks for that exile!

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
That is great! Thanks for that exile!
no problem!

also forgot to mention, interesting to note there'll be a suns shop at the entrance too. pretty unique partnership we've got going with them, wonder how many sales they'll make and if all the kids will be decked out in red & gold haha.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
no problem!

also forgot to mention, interesting to note there'll be a suns shop at the entrance too. pretty unique partnership we've got going with them, wonder how many sales they'll make and if all the kids will be decked out in red & gold haha.
I was lucky to speak to a player today on a member video call and he was saying a lot of the boys have already had their first kids and many are pregnant with their second babies so this could be a players baby sitting service!!!

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I was lucky to speak to a player today on a member video call and he was saying a lot of the boys have already had their first kids and many are pregnant with their second babies so this could be a players baby sitting service!!!
I wonder they look so slow around the ground if they are pregnant ta, da

I’ll see myself out 🙁

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

View attachment 1208901

View attachment 1208902

View attachment 1208903

View attachment 1208904
Well done exile

forgive my ignorance but what is a training collage?

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi Suns

I've only been to the Gold Coast for a holiday, so I could be way off base here, but do you know if re-rerouting the Gold Coast line has been considered to bring fans closer to the stadium? The red is the current line.

There's a tonne of green space between the line and the stadium, and enough green space to reconnect with the current line before Robina Station. Obviously it wouldn't be cheap, but with a potential BBL team, and cricket potentially at the Olympics, it could be worth the investment.

Nerang is 2km or so from the stadium. Would this make the stadium more accessible for many of the fans, or are many of the fans not actually based on the line?

Metricon (3).png

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The red line is the heavy rail from Brisbane and that won't be re-routed. There is a bus service from Nerang Station to Metricon on game days.

However there is talk that there might be a light rail spur constructed from Broadbeach to Nerang, going past Metricon...

I'm sure someone on this board, more local than I am, will have a better idea of what's happening.

Nov 26, 2016
Canberra, ACT
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The red line is the heavy rail from Brisbane and that won't be re-routed. There is a bus service from Nerang Station to Metricon on game days.

However there is talk that there might be a light rail spur constructed from Broadbeach to Nerang, going past Metricon...

I'm sure someone on this board, more local than I am, will have a better idea of what's happening.

Ahh interesting, thanks for the insight!

Light rail would be a good result for the precinct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Happy to be corrected here but it’s my understanding that in the latest plan the light rail will go down to the border north- south basically and busses will run east-west so nothing to Metricon

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Is it actually called the Elite oval?

Could definitely see them being renamed after some life member players after they retire - thr "David Swallow Oval" anyone?

Design wise I quite like it, But maybe extend the awning slightly more to the right, Get some more seat coverage in there?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
If it impacts on the half time kick to kick my boys will definitely stop going to the footy
Seriously
I guess if we start winning.....
There will see be the oval as that is used for training for the Brisbane Roar and even the AFLW side from time to time and academies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back