Heritage Bank Stadium (Carrara)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just booked accomm at the royal pines for the cats game, no trouble with accessing the ground this year!
Good stuff. I'm going to assume you're only going for the footy and don't have much interest in the beach or anything else like that. Can I ask what happened last time when you had trouble?

Good stuff. I'm going to assume you're only going for the footy and don't have much interest in the beach or anything else like that. Can I ask what happened last time when you had trouble?
Got a hire car, find that public transport on the gc is pretty expensive anyway particularly with theme parks and my mum has stayed at the royal pines a couple of times and says it's really nice. Na, no troubles last time, probably could have chosen my words a bit better but was just claiming that i 100% won't get any this year

Got a hire car, find that public transport on the gc is pretty expensive anyway particularly with theme parks and my mum has stayed at the royal pines a couple of times and says it's really nice. Na, no troubles last time, probably could have chosen my words a bit better but was just claiming that i 100% won't get any this year
Probably a lesson to be learned here in that public transport to the stadium on game days is free on the Gold Coast. I'm not 100% sure if this is the case for every bus but I know it is for the trains. Did you take a taxi to the theme park? That would explain what it cost you so much. They run buses through Broadbeach and Surfers Paradise that go directly to the theme parks. I'd be surprised if they charge you more than $10 for that bus ride.

No doubt Royal Pines is a nice place I just know a lot of people would miss out on the 'Gold Coast experience' if they were to stay there but it sounds like it doesn't bother you. Best place to stay if all you want to do is go to the footy.

Word on the street is that the new tram system on the Gold Coast will be opened to the public on 2 June 2014. Although it doesn't go directly to Metricon Stadium, it'll still help a lot for tourists getting to games. Instructions can be found in the last post of the first page in this thread.

The Goldlinq website says the trams are going to run quite frequently. I'll show it here:

Mon-Fri
00:00-05:00 - No service
05:00-07:00 - Every 15 mins
07:00-19:00 - Every 7.5 mins
19:00-24:00 - Every 15 mins

Sat
00:00-05:00 - Every 30 mins
07:00-19:00 - Every 10 mins

Sun
00:00-05:00 - Every 30 mins
07:00-19:00 - Every 10 mins

So most people using this service to get to the footy will likely come from Surfers Paradise so I'm going to base what I'm saying on that. Anyone doing that will get off at Broadbeach North station and walk over to Victoria Avenue (should take 2 mins) to take the free shuttle to Metricon. From any Surfers Paradise tram stop the trip will take 20 minutes maximum to the Broadbeach North stop and the shuttle to the stadium will take a further 25 minutes. So you'd need to leave about an hour before of the bounce to ensure you aren't late. So here is my suggestion for when to leave for each remaining match of this season:

Sunday 8 June - Gold Coast v Sydney
Get on tram at Surfers Paradise: 2:20pm
Get off tram at Broadbeach North: 2:40pm
Walk to Victoria Avenue: 2:40pm
Get on shuttle bus at Victoria Avenue: 2:42pm
Arrive at Metricon: 3:07pm
Bounce: 3:20pm

Saturday 14 June - Gold Coast v Geelong
Get on tram at Surfers Paradise: 3:40pm
Get off tram at Broadbeach North: 4:00pm
Walk to Victoria Avenue: 4:00pm
Get on shuttle bus at Victoria Avenue: 4:02pm
Arrive at Metricon: 4:27pm
Bounce: 4:40pm

Saturday 5 July - Gold Coast v Collingwood
Get on tram at Surfers Paradise: 3:40pm
Get off tram at Broadbeach North: 4:00pm
Walk to Victoria Avenue: 4:00pm
Get on shuttle bus at Victoria Avenue: 4:02pm
Arrive at Metricon: 4:27pm
Bounce: 4:40pm

Saturday 2 August - Gold Coast v St Kilda
Get on tram at Surfers Paradise: 6:40pm
Get off tram at Broadbeach North: 7:00pm
Walk to Victoria Avenue: 7:00pm
Get on shuttle bus at Victoria Avenue: 7:02pm
Arrive at Metricon: 7:27pm
Bounce: 7:40pm

Saturday 5 July - Gold Coast v Port Adelaide
Get on tram at Surfers Paradise: 1:10pm
Get off tram at Broadbeach North: 1:30pm
Walk to Victoria Avenue: 1:30pm
Get on shuttle bus at Victoria Avenue: 1:32pm
Arrive at Metricon: 1:57pm
Bounce: 2:10pm

Here is a picture of how to get to the bus shuttle area on Victoria Avenue for anyone who doesn't know:
5aZstsi.jpg

I'll be at the Port game in August. It's an afternoon game. I plan on getting a train from Brisbane to Nerang station, and returning the same way after the game. Do people walk from/to Nerang station to/from Metricon stadium? Or is it too far?

I'll be at the Port game in August. It's an afternoon game. I plan on getting a train from Brisbane to Nerang station, and returning the same way after the game. Do people walk from/to Nerang station to/from Metricon stadium? Or is it too far?
They do shuttle buses from nerang which take about 5-8 mins to drive. No need to walk. Good approach you are taking.

They do shuttle buses from nerang which take about 5-8 mins to drive. No need to walk. Good approach you are taking.
Thanks for the info Billy ray. If it's only a short drive then it sounds like walking is feasible. I like to walk and I've never been to the GC before, so I wouldn't mind. I realize that the bus is free with a footy ticket but if it's a nice walk then I would rather do that.

Thanks for the info Billy ray. If it's only a short drive then it sounds like walking is feasible. I like to walk and I've never been to the GC before, so I wouldn't mind. I realize that the bus is free with a footy ticket but if it's a nice walk then I would rather do that.
google maps directions from Nerang @-27.994130,153.350242 to Metricon Stadium, Nerang-Broadbeach Road, Carrara, Queensland shows it as 2.3km (28 min walk).
i have never done it - perhaps another local has - but 2.3km isnt much.
hope you have fun - and dont go home a winner :p

Not much of a scenic route to be honest mate. Unless you enjoy grass, I wouldn't suggest it.

I travelled up there for the first time last weekend and loved it, one of the best stadiums in the comp. I liked everything about it: how my seats were close to the action, the beanbags on the grass hill behind the scoreboard, this 'Fifth Quarter Live' area & how it was a quick shuttle from Broadbeach, where I stayed. Any interstate fan should not only do the trip but get to the stadium at least 1.5 hours prior just to have a look around, as I did on Sunday.

(By the way, I can confirm the trams are now working but staying in Broadbeach I didn't need to use them, I just walked from my motel to Victoria avenue)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I travelled up there for the first time last weekend and loved it, one of the best stadiums in the comp. I liked everything about it: how my seats were close to the action, the beanbags on the grass hill behind the scoreboard, this 'Fifth Quarter Live' area & how it was a quick shuttle from Broadbeach, where I stayed. Any interstate fan should not only do the trip but get to the stadium at least 1.5 hours prior just to have a look around, as I did on Sunday.

(By the way, I can confirm the trams are now working but staying in Broadbeach I didn't need to use them, I just walked from my motel to Victoria avenue)
Great to hear. No doubt the stadium offers a lot of unique elements that you wouldn't find anywhere else. The Fifth Quarter Bar is probably the most underrated of all the things they offer. To have a live band playing at half time and at full time every home game is pretty cool.

You're right that the trams are running but are yet to open to the public. Until they open to the public I suggest people heading to Metricon should stay in Broadbeach to avoid complications in getting to the Victoria Avenue shuttle bus area.

R3nvtch.jpg

Gives you a bit of an idea of what the Fifth Quarter Bar area looks like. Photo is taken from the stage that the live bands perform on.

Another underrated aspect of the ground - a public oval with posts right next to the stadium that can be used by any attendee at any point during a game.

mYOfstV.jpg

ifVFNje.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics Matchu. I'll be there in August when the mighty Power travel up that way. As Ive said before my oldies live on the Coast, so accommodation is a breeze :p

Ive been to Metricon before, but it'll be my wife and daughters first time. So im hoping for a cracker of a game with a bit of entertainment. To tell the truth, its one game in our remaining fixture im worried about.

Nice pics Matchu. I'll be there in August when the mighty Power travel up that way. As Ive said before my oldies live on the Coast, so accommodation is a breeze :p

Ive been to Metricon before, but it'll be my wife and daughters first time. So im hoping for a cracker of a game with a bit of entertainment. To tell the truth, its one game in our remaining fixture im worried about.
Good stuff. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of Port fans there were at Metricon last year but I think some of that had to do with our great start to the season. Really looking forward to seeing the boys in teal again in August but I have to agree in that it may be a danger game for us. Gold Coast at Metricon is certainly no easy task and they'll likely be motoring to their first finals appearance.

I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless. Plenty of activities for your daughter to get involved in and perhaps you and your wife will one of the lucky/unlucky couples to be shown on the kiss cam haha.

Good stuff. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of Port fans there were at Metricon last year but I think some of that had to do with our great start to the season. Really looking forward to seeing the boys in teal again in August but I have to agree in that it may be a danger game for us. Gold Coast at Metricon is certainly no easy task and they'll likely be motoring to their first finals appearance.

I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless. Plenty of activities for your daughter to get involved in and perhaps you and your wife will one of the lucky/unlucky couples to be shown on the kiss cam haha.
My daughter would prefer that its her and Chad on the kiss cam lol.

Its funny, my mum and dad moved up that way in 1994, and my pa loves his sport, of all kinds. He's seen so many live soccer games up there, im not even sure which stadium. He's always been a staunch Port Adelaide supporter, and this will be his second only time at Metricon too.

He promised me that he would never support the Suns, and would only watch Port if i were with him. He's very loyal like that. Anyway i'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully a big crowd for which should be billed a blockbuster.

My daughter would prefer that its her and Chad on the kiss cam lol.

Its funny, my mum and dad moved up that way in 1994, and my pa loves his sport, of all kinds. He's seen so many live soccer games up there, im not even sure which stadium. He's always been a staunch Port Adelaide supporter, and this will be his second only time at Metricon too.

He promised me that he would never support the Suns, and would only watch Port if i were with him. He's very loyal like that. Anyway i'm really looking forward to it. Hopefully a big crowd for which should be billed a blockbuster.
Haha mate, I think I'd take the chance to be on kiss cam with Chad if the opportunity were to arise. That's how much I love the bloke.

Not sure where your grandpa would have seen live soccer on the Gold Coast unless it was in the 3 years that we had an A-League side. That would have been at Robina. Much more likely he's gone to see the Roar play at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

I'll always support Port Adelaide as my number one team but the Suns are a close second. I suppose it isn't surprising that someone a bit older would be more loyal than others that are younger. However, I get the feeling quite a few of the Suns supporters still hold their original club dear and are supporting the Gold Coast for the good of the game. Not so sure the Port game will get the crowd it deserves though. Heavily dependant on whether the Suns are still in finals contention but I'd be shocked if that game managed to pull more than 16k.

Haha mate, I think I'd take the chance to be on kiss cam with Chad if the opportunity were to arise. That's how much I love the bloke.

Not sure where your grandpa would have seen live soccer on the Gold Coast unless it was in the 3 years that we had an A-League side. That would have been at Robina. Much more likely he's gone to see the Roar play at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

I'll always support Port Adelaide as my number one team but the Suns are a close second. I suppose it isn't surprising that someone a bit older would be more loyal than others that are younger. However, I get the feeling quite a few of the Suns supporters still hold their original club dear and are supporting the Gold Coast for the good of the game. Not so sure the Port game will get the crowd it deserves though. Heavily dependant on whether the Suns are still in finals contention but I'd be shocked if that game managed to pull more than 16k.
My dad actually, not my grandpa ( rest his soul ) lol. And yea, he watches live soccer, so you'll have to do some homework on that one. Maybe he travels up to Brissie, but i'm sure he watched games on the Coast.

Anyway i'm looking forward to this game, may even determine our spot in the four, or even the eight ? You'll know me, i'll be the loudest Port supporter there. We'll be up in the stands opposite the big scoreboard. Me and my daughter might try and find a spot were we can watch the game close on for a quarter or two.

Hope there is some nice beers on offer. Not that mid strength carlton crap last time i was there.

My dad actually, not my grandpa ( rest his soul ) lol. And yea, he watches live soccer, so you'll have to do some homework on that one. Maybe he travels up to Brissie, but i'm sure he watched games on the Coast.

Anyway i'm looking forward to this game, may even determine our spot in the four, or even the eight ? You'll know me, i'll be the loudest Port supporter there. We'll be up in the stands opposite the big scoreboard. Me and my daughter might try and find a spot were we can watch the game close on for a quarter or two.

Hope there is some nice beers on offer. Not that mid strength carlton crap last time i was there.
My bad. Thought you meant a grandparent when you said pa. Well as I said, the only way he'd watch soccer live on the Goldy would have been a few years ago when Gold Coast United were playing in the A-League. Unless he is watching local soccer?

The game has the potential to be huge for both clubs. It could very well be the difference between us in the top four and/or the Suns in the top 8. The noise at Metricon won't compare to Adelaide Oval but the locals don't mind getting vocal if they feel they are getting some rough calls from the umps. Can't comment on the beers as I don't drink them but I'm fairly sure you'll find mid strength is still the go.

Another underrated aspect of the ground - a public oval with posts right next to the stadium that can be used by any attendee at any point during a game.

mYOfstV.jpg

ifVFNje.jpg
its a great experience metricon, easy to get around & a festive atmosphere. have the Suns built them self a decent, GYM & locker rooms yet? last time i looked they where a heap of portable buildings that they used:confused:

its a great experience metricon, easy to get around & a festive atmosphere. have the Suns built them self a decent, GYM & locker rooms yet? last time i looked they where a heap of portable buildings that they used:confused:
They are currently still training out of demountables. However, they have been able to come to an agreement with the state government which will see one of the Commonwealth Games venues right next to the stadium become their training and admin facility. It is being built in a specific way to easily allow the transition from sport venue to training facility. Add to that an aquatic centre and a world class running track, it won't be long before the Suns training facilities are right up there with the best of them in the league.

It's all coming together for the Suns, as you can see. The one thing that needs to be addressed is transport to and from the stadium. Shuttle buses alone won't get the job done in the long run. Besides that, virtually everything else is done perfectly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back