Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Having never gone to SA for a footy game, I only recently learned that before the move to AO, AAMI Stadium used to only have busses for transport to and from the game. Was this ever a concern for the Port/Crows fans when getting back from the game?

Getting back from Metricon is a huge pain in the arse, and I can't see any way around it except for perhaps a ferry terminal to split the crowd a bit. Curious how Metricon can * it up so much, but other stadiums manage it well.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good news for St Kilda (Aug 2), Port Adelaide (Aug 16) and West Coast (TBD) fans with the Gold Coast trams officially opening today. You can now stay in Southport, Main Beach, Surfers Paradise or Broadbeach and still get to the shuttle bus area very easily. The shuttle to Metricon is about 150 metres from the Broadbeach North tram station if anyone is wondering. I believe the rules of a pre-purchased AFL ticket providing free travel on the trams apply but not 100% sure at this point.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Update taken from GC Suns website:

Free Transport with TransLink
Passengers in possession of a valid event ticket can travel FREE with TransLink to and from the event on all regular Queensland Rail City Network, Surfside Bus lines and G:link services for four hours before the game starts and four hours after the conclusion of the game (conditions apply).

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
As a matter of interest, does anyone know if Metricon will used as the next Comm Games main stadium. If so, will it be upgraded in anyway?
Long thread, but if you're interested, check this out:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/metricon-stadium-stage-2-redevelopment.1038050/

To answer your question briefly though, it's going to be used as the main stadium for the 2018 games, and for the athletics. It's being upgraded down the open end to bring the total seats to 40,000. No word yet if it'll be permanent or whether it'll only be temporary!

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Free Transport with TransLink
Passengers in possession of a valid event ticket can travel FREE with TransLink to and from the event on all regular Queensland Rail City Network, Surfside Bus lines and G:link services for four hours before the game starts and four hours after the conclusion of the game (conditions apply).
Just thinking about it now, this is going to make after game activities a lot easier. Patrons have four hours up their selves after the conclusion of a game. Seeing as the 7:40pm games finish at about 10:15pm, that gives anyone at the game free travel around the Gold Coast until 2:15am.

Get on the shuttle to Broadbeach after the game, arrive at about 10:40pm, go out in Broady or get on the tram to Surfers Paradise and arrive at about 10:50pm. That gives you about 3 hours to enjoy whatever you like without having to worry about the cost of travel to get home or go out. Very appealing!

You could even use your ticket once it passes midnight to get a free big mac (presuming the Suns win) at either the 24 hour Cavill Avenue McDonald's or the 24 hour one in Broadbeach along the tram line! Just make sure the people at Maccas don't take your ticket otherwise you won't get free travel anymore haha.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It doesn't even have to just be for the adults or nocturnal patrons either. If Tom Lynch kicks two goals in the game (regardless of the result) then every GC Suns members gets 2 hours free at Timezone in Surfers Paradise. That would be the perfect post game activity for the family after an afternoon/twilight game.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
That's obviously an issue but if you know what you're doing you can get on pretty quickly.
If there's a way to have a kick on the field after the game and still get a bus in good time that I don't know about, please teach me your ways!

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If there's a way to have a kick on the field after the game and still get a bus in good time that I don't know about, please teach me your ways!
Can't say there is unfortunately. You could always kick on the training oval at halftime and then leave for the bus as soon as the final siren goes. I know it's not the same but it's a decent substitute.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Can't say there is unfortunately. You could always kick on the training oval at halftime and then leave for the bus as soon as the final siren goes. I know it's not the same but it's a decent substitute.
Actually, come to think of it, I always travel to/from Broadbeach on game-day, but the Surfers Paradise queue is always a hell of a lot smaller than the others. It'd probably be quicker just to catch the shuttle to Surfers, then catch the tram down to Broadbeach with your ticket. I'M A GENIUS!

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Actually, come to think of it, I always travel to/from Broadbeach on game-day, but the Surfers Paradise queue is always a hell of a lot smaller than the others. It'd probably be quicker just to catch the shuttle to Surfers, then catch the tram down to Broadbeach with your ticket. I'M A GENIUS!
There is a shuttle from Surfers? Where does that run from? I thought there was only a shuttle AFTER the game that stopped around Cavill Avenue...

Good plan though :thumbsu:

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
There is a shuttle from Surfers? Where does that run from? I thought there was only a shuttle AFTER the game that stopped around Cavill Avenue...

Good plan though :thumbsu:
Sorry, that's what I was referring to. Shuttle to the game from Victoria Park @ Broadbeach, and shuttle back to Surfers w/ tram to Broadbeach.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, that's what I was referring to. Shuttle to the game from Victoria Park @ Broadbeach, and shuttle back to Surfers w/ tram to Broadbeach.
I get you now. Yeah I think that would save you time. It only takes around 7 mins to get from Cavill Avenue to Broadbeach South tram station so it's definitely worth looking into. It won't cost you anything so why not give it a try?

Rusty Brookes

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 9, 2001
Preston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Manningham Cobras
It doesn't even have to just be for the adults or nocturnal patrons either. If Tom Lynch kicks two goals in the game (regardless of the result) then every GC Suns members gets 2 hours free at Timezone in Surfers Paradise. That would be the perfect post game activity for the family after an afternoon/twilight game.

That's a great deal. The Timezone at Surfers is awesome.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A few changes for access to Metricon Stadium in 2015 (stadium details). Shuttle buses from Broadbeach will now run from the Broadbeach South Tram Station as opposed to Victoria Park in the past. Broadbeach South is the last station on the tram line and has a bus area built into the station. A picture of the route from Broadbeach South to Metricon Stadium:

WZhjrcj.png

Excitingly, the new Suns CEO all but confirmed there will be a ferry terminal constructed at Metricon Stadium in the near future. Ferry terminals will also be built in Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach so it will become the more aesthetically pleasing way to get to the stadium. Here is the view patrons will have from the Surfers Paradise ferry terminal at Appel Park and the view of the stadium from the Nerang River:

ECnDZRT.jpg

xR1OP2w.jpg

PowerbaII

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 14, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is there a planned date for the construction of the new stand for the Commonwealth Games yet?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is there a planned date for the construction of the new stand for the Commonwealth Games yet?
My understanding is that it'll be one of the last things to be constructed, mainly to not interrupt the Suns. The bottom tier up the river end will need to be ripped out which is likely to wreak havoc on the Suns given how close the goal posts are to the front row of seats. I think there is also going to be considerable upgrades to the stadium technology and lights so that'll affect night games. No doubt the Suns will have to play home games at the Gabba in the early parts of 2018 and perhaps some of 2017 as well. These two pictures may give you an idea of what is going to happen:

if2vPiw.jpg

iFJUuml.jpg

The large temporary grandstand will be placed between the two light posts at the open end. There is also a little gap between the corporate area and the post to the left of the big screen. This area will be filled in with permanent seats that will take Metricon's capacity to about 27,000. You can also see in the render above that the big screen will be moved to the right so that it is no longer placed directly behind the goals and a second big screen will be installed directly opposite as can be seen here:

wtx7z8e.jpg

A post Comm Games configuration which fills in the open section has been suggested in the past which would increase capacity to 33-35,000. It would look something like this:

Eod59h7.jpg

But that seems unlikely.

To answer your question, work on the Carrara Sports Precinct is already underway but work on the actual stadium won't start until late 2016 at the earliest.

PowerbaII

Club Legend
Suspended
Feb 14, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My understanding is that it'll be one of the last things to be constructed, mainly to not interrupt the Suns. The bottom tier up the river end will need to be ripped out which is likely to wreak havoc on the Suns given how close the goal posts are to the front row of seats. I think there is also going to be considerable upgrades to the stadium technology and lights so that'll affect night games. No doubt the Suns will have to play home games at the Gabba in the early parts of 2018 and perhaps some of 2017 as well. These two pictures may give you an idea of what is going to happen:

if2vPiw.jpg

iFJUuml.jpg

The large temporary grandstand will be placed between the two light posts at the open end. There is also a little gap between the corporate area and the post to the left of the big screen. This area will be filled in with permanent seats that will take Metricon's capacity to about 27,000. You can also see in the render above that the big screen will be moved to the right so that it is no longer placed directly behind the goals and a second big screen will be installed directly opposite as can be seen here:

wtx7z8e.jpg

A post Comm Games configuration which fills in the open section has been suggested in the past which would increase capacity to 33-35,000. It would look something like this:

Eod59h7.jpg

But that seems unlikely.

To answer your question, work on the Carrara Sports Precinct is already underway but work on the actual stadium won't start until late 2016 at the earliest.
Thanks for the comprehensive answer mate! :thumbsu:

magic_johnson!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
London
AFL Club
Geelong
To be fair, I don't think any of the above will come into fruition. Those appear to be completely quick mock ups with no design to them, to show an idea that they will change something. For example, that replay screen is a mess of a spot and the titchy little extension that you suggest would bring the permanent capacity to 27,000 are just jammed there with no real order. There doesn't seem to be any actual design in them yet, but i suppose we'll have to wait until they release the plans in a couple of years.

I doubt the suns will have any problems playing there in 2017 though (unless they demolish so much that capacity is two men and a dog), it's more than easy to demolish a stand and still play until they place the athletics track in. MCG didn't lose any time; KP, bellerive, SCG

Back