News PeopleFirst (Bank) Stadium and Precinct

Remove this Banner Ad

Carrara complex to be named Gold Coast Sports precinct as council plans Ron Clarke tribute
FORMER mayor Ron Clarke has been snubbed by the council he led for two terms and the team he helped create after it was decided not to rename Carrara Sports Precinct after the late legend.

Despite his leading role in establishing both the Gold Coast Suns and state-of-the-art stadium they call home, the city’s AFL team and Stadiums Queensland yesterday scuttled hopes of renaming the precinct for the late mayor.

Instead the council’s Community Services Committee unanimously voted to rename the complex, which includes Metricon Stadium, Gold Coast Sports Precinct.

Stadiums Queensland told council it had “commercial arrangements” with the AFL and Gold Coast Suns that would potentially be jeopardised by naming the Carrara precinct after Mr Clarke, who died last June.

Then Suns chairman John Witheriff also conveyed the club’s concerns in a letter to Mayor Tom Tate: “The Suns expressed concern that renaming the precinct after Ron Clarke might impact current and future commercial naming rights agreements,” the council’s report on the issue said.

“Such agreements are critical to the financial arrangements in place for the Suns.”

Mr Witheriff also recognised the role Mr Clarke had played in establishing the team.

GOLDOC, organisers of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Mr Clarke’s widow Helen, former Queensland premier Anna Bligh and former Suns chief executive Travis Auld all supported naming the complex after the late Olympian.

The Bulletin revealed in January that then-councillor Margaret Grummitt was leading a push to name the precinct, which will host the 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Committee chairman Bob La Castra, who is one of just four remaining sitting councillors to have served alongside Mr Clarke during his eight years as mayor, said the commercial considerations of the site’s tenants and operator was the deciding factor.

“I think people will understand this but there are a number of (tributes) we are looking at, be in the precinct or at Runaway Bay or somewhere else,” he said.

“It would not surprise me if there are multiple tributes in places across the city.

Cr La Castra last year purchased a portrait of Mr Clarke which he hopes to hang in a sporting venue at the Carrara precinct once its construction is completed.

Cr La Castra said the Runaway Bay Sports Centre, near the former mayor’s long-time home, could potentially be named in his honour.

The committee’s unanimous vote will go before the full council next week.

Mrs Clarke last night told the Gold Coast Bulletin she would welcome any tribute to her beloved husband.

“I understand the commerciality of the Carrara decision but I think it is lovely they want to remember Ron and it is a nice honour,” she said.

“My sons in particular will be pleased and if the sports centre in particular is chose then it would be great because that was his creation.

“Ron was always so proud of the Gold Coast and to have a statue or anything would be a wonderful tribute.”

z5UCTDn.jpg

Game representatives check facilities and venues and declare it a standout
The Gold Coast Commonwealth Games facilities are being lauded the best yet after representatives of the Oceania and Caribbean Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs) stiooed in for a 48-hour inspection.

Work at venues such as the Coomera Indoor Sports Centre and Broadbeach Bowls Club are due to be completed by the middle of the year, while the Carrara Stadium should be finished early next year.
If I'm reading the bold section above correctly, the Suns will be playing out of a 40,000 seat stadium for the entirety of the 2017 AFL season...

If I'm reading the bold section above correctly, the Suns will be playing out of a 40,000 seat stadium for the entirety of the 2017 AFL season...

I Havnt been to Metricon this year. Have they started to build it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

isn't the extra seating temporary? I would have thought they are referring to the permanent facilities, and the extra seating would be added in the lead up to the games.

isn't the extra seating temporary? I would have thought they are referring to the permanent facilities, and the extra seating would be added in the lead up to the games.
Let's hope so 13, 000 people in a 40, 000 seat stadium will look terrible.

would be cool financially if the CLSC became ours after the comm games, and we leased parts out during the season. not sure on the cost of the overhead, but if it could be managed into a profit that would be great! dunno the chances of that happening though.

As I understand it the section to the left of the gold (or baby poo brown) cladding it the Suns admin and training facility, is that correct Matchu, do the Suns get the run of the rest (vast majority) post the Comm games?
Correct. The Suns' training and admin facilities are to the left of the gold cladding from that picture's perspective. If I'm not mistaken, you can see the wooden cladding already in place for the admin section.

I don't think the Suns will officially own the building post-Games but I'd say they'll use it more than anyone else. I have a feeling Gold Coast Basketball will move from the existing carrara indoor arena into one of the CSLC halls as it will be filled with basketball courts anyway. The plan is for the other hall to be filled with netball courts but who knows what that will mean for the future. Of course there's a chance Gold Coast Cricket will move to Carrara when a BBL team is set up at Metricon but I think they would prefer to stay based at their Robina facilities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back