Multiplat Metro Exodus

Remove this Banner Ad

Exodus is $10usd cheaper on the Epic store than it was on Steam but because of the profit share, that's still more beneficial to Deep Silver. 88% of $50 is better than 70% of $60 and the consumer gets $10 off a new game for using a new launcher. Everybody wins except Valve.

Apparently all Steam pre-orders are being honoured regardless. This seems like something that will happen more. Epic need to force a reason for people to switch from Steam, consumers won't care too much about the profit share. Free games, plus cheaper games at launch, plus exclusivity is probably their best bet.

As much as it pains me to do so as I must have this day one, but going to skip the PC version until it’s on Steam. PS4 it is. I have no major issues with another launcher, but the more I read about Tencent the more dubious I become. I completely trust Tim Sweeney and his comments that Tencent are only a minor shareholder and that any data that is kept is kept in the US but who can say the same should that balance change.

/Sigh

Cool new trailer anyway. It’s just sad reading through the comments that yet another what should be amazing game will again come with controversy. This time at no fault of the developer either.

Ah lucky, at least you get to play it. I don't have a console. :(
As far as the regional pricing goes though, from what I'm seeing it's pretty non-existent for Metro: Exodus. The USA is the only country benefiting from the EPIC exclusivity. Russians instead of paying €25 are now looking at €60 for the game. Japan has gone from €48 to €61 and South America has to use USD meaning it's going to be more expensive there, as well. I should've bought this before they pulled it from GOG, ah well.

I remember reading a while ago that eastern Euros don’t like regional pricing because it usually means they get stung with paying Swedish prices. Not sure what the price is like in Dollerydoos and I really want to play it on PC but I’m dubious of companies like Tencent and Huawei.

Can't find an actual quote so I don't know if it's real, taken out of context or a miss translation, but I've seen a few mentions now on the Steam forums for 2033 and Last Light where somebody from 4A has said something like "if Exodus doesn't sell well on PC then we won't do another one for it." It would be sad if true and that's the legacy they leave considering it was the platform that turned it from a cult hit into what it is now. Glukhovsky himself has said he approves of the Epic move because they are going to help build the Metro franchise. I don't know if that's because he knows more or he just believes it and is a bit of a gaming nuffy. As much as I agree that Epic's move was completely anti-consumer and going against everything they have said in the past, they're only creating a console war like thing on the PC, I'm selfish and would still use their crappy launcher to play Metro however I still don't trust Tencent.

Can't find an actual quote so I don't know if it's real, taken out of context or a miss translation, but I've seen a few mentions now on the Steam forums for 2033 and Last Light where somebody from 4A has said something like "if Exodus doesn't sell well on PC then we won't do another one for it." It would be sad if true and that's the legacy they leave considering it was the platform that turned it from a cult hit into what it is now. Glukhovsky himself has said he approves of the Epic move because they are going to help build the Metro franchise. I don't know if that's because he knows more or he just believes it and is a bit of a gaming nuffy. As much as I agree that Epic's move was completely anti-consumer and going against everything they have said in the past, they're only creating a console war like thing on the PC, I'm selfish and would still use their crappy launcher to play Metro however I still don't trust Tencent.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/412020/discussions/0/1780513643852520184/

Sounds like it was just a buttthurt dev, the official Metro Exodus twitter account responded saying PC "will always be at the heart of our plans"

Yup, it is a positive message there. I've no doubt they have the funds to create a very good launcher/store front. But all I'm reading at the moment is how they have 0 features by comparision to Steam/GOG to go with all the security issues. Left, right and centre people are writing about how they're getting e-mail alerts saying someone is trying to access their account. And when they do and spend money it's a torturous process of months waiting on EPIC to address it. But, it's just out of principle in locking in a game they never invested in to a 12 month exclusivity deal that I've no interest in buying it. Maybe competition is good for Steam, but at least do it organically and let the customer decide. GOG offer DRM-free and seem a lot more consumer friendly which is why I support them if a game is released on both Steam/GOG platforms. EPIC could use the 12% cut and cheaper prices (although at the moment this is only exclusive to USA) as a selling point & investing heavily in Indie development to win people over. I could see their point if they invested in Metro Exodus and had it exclusive to them a-la Titanfall etc or whatever, but this was a terrible anti-competition move from Koch/Deep Silver and EPIC. I think the hate they're getting is pretty warranted in my opinion

If they had done it even 3 months ago I’m sure it would have gone down better but two weeks out was just a total dick move. Then every time I talk myself into just dealing with it I then think back to Tencent, a tech spy for the Chinese government, with a 40% share of Epic. While that is a minority share, if Tim Sweeney ever divides up his controlling share then 40% could easily become the majority.

Why :'(

Yeah doesn't make sense why they'd want data related to gaming? Probably for spending habits when it comes to microtransactions etc?

Tencent were/are involved in a social credit score system for their communist government. I think this is a similar practice for all major Chinese tech companies such as Huawei. It just applies to Chinese citizens in china, how it would affect those outside I don’t know but data gathering is their business. Not that Australia is much better with the new Access and Assistance bill. I trust Sweeney’s comments that Tencent have no access currently but clearly that’s their eventual goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't fault Epic for doing their best to win favour

More Regional Pricing Options Added

Regional pricing options have been expanded on the Epic Games store! The new regional pricing options are now live and we will be continuing expansion going forward. If you recently purchased a game at a higher price due to your region not previously being available, we will be refunding you the difference over the next two weeks. No action is needed on your part for these refunds.

We’re going to be releasing new features regularly like the expanded regional pricing. Keep an eye out for an Epic Game store roadmap in the near future.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/more-regional-pricing-options-added

Just checked and no Australian pricing yet. Still USD at the checkout and $64.99 USD is turning into $91 AUD. Cheaper to grab a code from EB or Mighty Ape, or even a key seller if you can trust them. I think I'll cave in as much as I shouldn't, just depends on what I end up paying for it. I've been anticipating this game far too long to wait it out until 2020 on Steam or get a console version.

Probably in the minority but I'm strongly considering getting this on PS4 tomorrow. Just about to finish Last Light, and am running into EB to get the $1 Far Cry tomorrow, so might chuck this in. Anyone seen it at a decent price so as to price match?