Teams Miami Dolphins - The Fins

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not just a Dolphins fan boy that thinks Tannehill is gonna be the GOAT or anything like that. He is certainly down the last couple of weeks

I just think that he is doing OK in the system he is in, and that system is poor.

I have no idea why Parker can't get gametime
I have no idea of what is going on with our running game. Miller is anonymous at the moment.
I have no idea as to what our tactics are on 3rd down conversions
I have no idea how Suh or Wake or Vernon can't get a sack
I have no idea how Philbin or Coyle are still employed. Lazor could probably be in that category too.
I have no idea why we haven't addressed our O-Line deficiencies
I have no idea why all of a sudden we are now giving away so many stupid penalties
I have no idea why the team is starting so slowly in games
I have no idea why we are perennially poor ... I wanted to say average, but really, we aren't even that at the moment

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports Dolphins owner Stephen Ross is "more inclined" to fire DC Kevin Coyle than coach Joe Philbin.

Philbin is the real issue in Miami, but the reality is the Dolphins have no one on the coaching staff worthy of promotion, even on an interim basis. Coyle is reportedly unpopular in the locker room, and firing him could at least buy Philbin some slack. Salguero reports Philbin does not believe any staff changes are necessary right now, but faced with losing his job or firing Coyle, he may change his tune. Ross and Philbin are scheduled to meet Monday afternoon.

Source: Miami Herald

Dolphins promoted TEs coach Dan Campbell to head coach.

Unless you're a Dolphins tight end, you've probably never heard of him. A 1999 third-rounder, Campbell is only 39. His 10-year playing career ended in 2008. At the very least, there's no way he's a worse leader than Joe Philbin. Campbell's first leadership test is what to do with DC Kevin Coyle. It's hard to see how the Dolphins could fire Philbin but not his overwhelmed defensive boss, too.

Dolphins fired coach Joe Philbin.

TE coach Dan Campbell is expected to be named the interim head coach. The status of DC Kevin Coyle is still unclear, but he will likely be let go as well. Philbin went 24-28 in his three seasons and change as the Dolphins' head coach and never posted a winning record. His teams consistently underachieved, and he showed an alarming lack of control of the locker room during the "Bullygate" scandal. When looking at his tenure, it is shocking Philbin kept his job this long. It would be surprising if he lands another head coaching gig in the NFL.
Related: Dolphins

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Well, that's a trifecta now of teams I support sacking coaches in recent times! Hird gone, Rodgers gone, Philbin gone, and with NHL season starting soon I guess Alan Vigneault should be getting nervous!

Anyway its sad that a seemingly decent guy has lost his job, but Philbin, as his record suggests just screamed mediocrity. Will be interesting to see who Dolphins might target - they were apparently into Harbaugh at some point I recall. But in the short term, hopefully we can start to turn a few things around quickly. And with it being bye week, at least we cant lose next week so onwards and upwards for the Phins!!

Our beefcake HC will destroy you all.

491439746-dan-campbell-answers-questions-from-the-gettyimages.jpg

He speaks and presents well.

Seems like he'd be popular with the players and could (hopefully) build the kind of culture he speaks of.

Who could be the next head coach of the Miami Dolphins?

After an intense opening news conference, all of us -- including Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross -- are willing to see what interim head coach Dan Campbell can do. He's an NFL veteran with plenty of clout on the field and he's only spent a few years without a helmet and pads on. This goes a long way with established players.

That being said, there is no doubt Ross will be looking around in the meantime and after the season ends. And when he does, he'll be looking at one of the three major coaching categories every owner sifts through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dolphins interim coach Dan Campbell is expected to decide if DC Kevin Coyle will remain with the team on Tuesday.

It should not be much of a decision. The Dolphins have given up 642 yards on the ground through four weeks and have given up the 12th-most points in the league despite a schedule which featured Blake Bortles, Kirk Cousins and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Coyle is not popular in the locker room and has not gotten results on the field. He should be relieved of his duties.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

I still think Richie Incognito would have been a better choice.

You watch your tongue. Richie is a god damn hero, wrongly accused and abused by the NFL.

You watch your tongue. Richie is a god damn hero, wrongly accused and abused by the NFL.

I also think Jonathan Martin would make an excellent good defensive coordinator.

Think about it, you could have the good cop/bad cop routine going and win back the hearts of all the different personalities in your locker room, it would make excellent television on game day also, RI on the head set to JM when the defense screws up. Oh the hilarity!

Out: Phillbin, Coyle
In: Incognito, Martin

Awesome changes. :thumbsu:

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "reached out" to ex-Lions coach and Bills DC Jim Schwartz.

However, reporter Adam Beasley can't confirm if the Dolphins were/are interested in Schwartz for their defensive coordinator position. Current DC Kevin Coyle is a lame duck after the Dolphins fired Joe Philbin, but the team appears unsure of whom to replace Coyle with. Adding Schwartz would be all about getting Ndamukong Suh going.

Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter

Dolphins promoted DBs coach Lou Anarumo to defensive coordinator.

The Dolphins either struck out on or didn't pursue open-market options like Jim Schwartz. The Dolphins' secondary has been far from elite the past two seasons, but was about league average in 2014. It's hard to see how anyone could be a downgrade on Kevin Coyle, who seemed over his head. Interim coach Dan Campbell wants to instill a fire-and-brimstone attitude. He clearly thinks Anarumo is the best man for the job. Anarumo last coordinated a defense for the "U.S. Merchant Marine Academy" from 1992-94.

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Dolphins fired DC Kevin Coyle.

In typical Dolphins fashion, it took them three days to decide they were moving on from a defensive boss who's been a handicap for well over a year now. Coyle's unit disintegrated on the field as it reportedly tuned him out off of it. It's unclear if he'll be replaced from within or without. The Dolphins reportedly "reached out" to ex-Lions coach and Bills DC Jim Schwartz earlier in the week. He'd be a big-time improvement on Coyle, one aimed at getting Ndamukong Suh and the rest of Miami's front seven going.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports "multiple teams, including Miami" are expected to inquire about Saints coach Sean Payton's availability after the season.

SI's Peter King wrote this past July that 2015 could be Payton's final season in New Orleans. With the Saints, Payton got off to a red-hot start but has leveled off since the BountyGate Scandal. The power structure in New Orleans has also shifted, with Jeff Ireland taking on a bigger personnel role at the expense of embattled GM Mickey Loomis. The Dolphins make sense as a potential Payton landing spot in theory, but they have struggled to lure big-time head coaches to Miami under owner Stephen Ross.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back