Teams Miami Dolphins - The Fins

Remove this Banner Ad

Dolphins GM Chris Grier said trade talks about Deshaun Watson were more about Watson being available than the team being dissatisfied with Tua Tagovailoa.
Bold to try the, "It's not you. It's me," approach, but it makes sense for Grier to do some damage control after the Dolphins publicly went after Watson ahead of the deadline, and the GM added the team believes in Tua and are happy with his development. That said, Grier passed up an opportunity to say the team would not pursue Watson during the offseason, instead saying, "We'll revisit the entire roster." It sounds like the Miami quarterback saga will be one of the stories of the offseason.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter
Nov 3, 2021, 10:28 AM ET

Dolphins are in decent position to make a run

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2021, 10:03 AM EST

The Dolphins entered the season with high expectations, thanks to a 10-win season in 2020. A Week One win at New England validated the belief that Miami could make a real run.

Then came seven straight losses, sparking talk of major changes after the 2021 campaign ends. Sunday’s win over the Texans meant nothing; a blowout loss to Baltimore certainly was coming.

And then it didn’t. With coach Brian Flores apparently determined to avoid a repeat of the 59-10 loss to the Ravens in the first game of his career, the Dolphins drew up a blitz-heavy, go-for-broke effort to slow the Ravens down. It worked.

So where are the Dolphins in the aftermath of their most impressive performance of the year? The schedule lines up favorably through Christmas.

After the mini-bye following Thursday night’s win, the Dolphins visit the Jets. Then, the team literally will be home for the holidays. From Thanksgiving week through the day after Christmas, they’ll never leave town.

Two home games — Panthers and Giants — followed by a bye and a visit from the Jets. If (and given this nuttiest of NFL seasons it’s a big if) the Dolphins can win the next four, they’ll enter a Week 16 Monday night game at New Orleans at 7-7. Yes, a final stretch of Saints, Titans, and Patriots could see 7-7 become 7-10 But it doesn’t matter how things end. What matters is that the Dolphins have a chance to be relevant past Thanksgiving. The more teams that fall into this category, the better off the NFL is.

Five days ago, the Dolphins had no chance to be relevant past Thanksgiving. By tripling in four days their entire 2021 win total through eight games, they now can be.

It continues in nine days, with the last road trip before five weeks of hunkering down at home for a chance to make an unlikely assault on the No. 7 seed.

what I dont get ,why did it take the defense this long to play like last year again? Its not like personnel or coaching changed, seems to be me they got cute trying to make changes in some regard to something that wasn't broken and Flores has said the last few weeks "lets just go back to what we were doing"

what I dont get ,why did it take the defense this long to play like last year again? Its not like personnel or coaching changed, seems to be me they got cute trying to make changes in some regard to something that wasn't broken and Flores has said the last few weeks "lets just go back to what we were doing"
Why is the vaunted WFT defense so bad this year? Why did it get so much worse?
Hard to put a finger on that too.
For Miami...we still played decent defense this year (apart from a couple big losses, been mostly difficult for opposing offenses) and the D would have been better if our offense wasn't so pathetic that the D got gassed so quickly or gave up in a game.
This year is one of those years too where teams are so up and down week to week, or have a string of good games then fall in a heap for a string of games, or vice versa.
Remember last year, said our D was one of the better ones....and you or others reminded me we weren't actually that good, a bit fraudulent....and it did show up last year (that fraudulence).
All up, taking both 2020 and 2021 into account....we have a very high ceiling on D but tend to be inconsistent, and/or our offense is so bad, the D can't keep it going the full 60.

Why is the vaunted WFT defense so bad this year? Why did it get so much worse?

Its for a different thread, but this is far more than a once off with Ron Rivera, its an absolute pattern now that's been there over 10 years, his defenses yo-yo'd from very good to average or s**t every season in Carolina.

I dont know why, but its absolutely a thing.

Its for a different thread, but this is far more than a once off with Ron Rivera, its an absolute pattern now that's been there over 10 years, his defenses yo-yo'd from very good to average or sh*t every season in Carolina.

I dont know why, but its absolutely a thing.
Theres just a few sure-fire defenses every year, due to the DC, the defensive minded HC, or some kind of culture or historical D in that club's history that gets passed down over the years. Ravens, Steelers, Patriots....maybe Vikings, Bears.

Dolphins are in decent position to make a run

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2021, 10:03 AM EST

The Dolphins entered the season with high expectations, thanks to a 10-win season in 2020. A Week One win at New England validated the belief that Miami could make a real run.

Then came seven straight losses, sparking talk of major changes after the 2021 campaign ends. Sunday’s win over the Texans meant nothing; a blowout loss to Baltimore certainly was coming.

And then it didn’t. With coach Brian Flores apparently determined to avoid a repeat of the 59-10 loss to the Ravens in the first game of his career, the Dolphins drew up a blitz-heavy, go-for-broke effort to slow the Ravens down. It worked.

So where are the Dolphins in the aftermath of their most impressive performance of the year? The schedule lines up favorably through Christmas.

After the mini-bye following Thursday night’s win, the Dolphins visit the Jets. Then, the team literally will be home for the holidays. From Thanksgiving week through the day after Christmas, they’ll never leave town.

Two home games — Panthers and Giants — followed by a bye and a visit from the Jets. If (and given this nuttiest of NFL seasons it’s a big if) the Dolphins can win the next four, they’ll enter a Week 16 Monday night game at New Orleans at 7-7. Yes, a final stretch of Saints, Titans, and Patriots could see 7-7 become 7-10 But it doesn’t matter how things end. What matters is that the Dolphins have a chance to be relevant past Thanksgiving. The more teams that fall into this category, the better off the NFL is.

Five days ago, the Dolphins had no chance to be relevant past Thanksgiving. By tripling in four days their entire 2021 win total through eight games, they now can be.

It continues in nine days, with the last road trip before five weeks of hunkering down at home for a chance to make an unlikely assault on the No. 7 seed.
No chance they threw away 3 games eariler in the year against raiders, falcons and Jaguars.

If they Won 2 of those they would be 5-5 and better placed.

Too far back now.

At least they didn't embarrass themselves in primetime again yesterday have done that numerous times over the years

With the Bills faltering, Pata up and down, Jets and Dolphins potentially surging, the AFCE could squeeze together over the next two months, maybe even a division title not out of the question (theoreticallly).

The grrr of dropping some tight winnable games is happening to every team this season. Including those teams ahead of us in the division, to help that squeeze

Robert Hunt’s illegal play becomes a sensation

Posted by Mike Florio on November 12, 2021, 11:33 AM EST

Thursday night’s game included one of the most compelling plays that didn’t count in recent years.

Dolphins guard Robert Hunt snatched a screen pass as if he were the intended receiver. And that was just the beginning. He then ran the ball toward the end zone, dove for the goal line, and got there.

All the while, it was obviously an illegal play. He wasn’t an eligible receiver, and he hadn’t reported as one. But that only gave the “what the hell is happening?” moment even more of a “what the hell is happening?” vibe.

The play became a topic of discussion after the Miami win.

“It was a penalty,” an amused coach Brian Flores told reporters. “My perspective is it was a penalty. It was going to be a penalty. It was a penalty. I’m sure it was fun to watch for many, but it was a penalty.”

Flore was asked to assess Hunt’s effort to get the ball across the plane.

“Great effort,” Flores said. “Incredible effort. It’s a penalty, though. Maybe we’ll put a play in for him.”

They should. It was fun. Football is allowed to be fun. Having plays like that in the game plan breaks the monotony, excites a fan base. It can also help galvanize a team.

“I just saw the ball, and I don’t know,” Hunt said. “I just blanked out, man. I just caught the ball and tried to run with it.”
Hunt added that he isn’t asking to be involved in the offense going forward. He shouldn’t have to. He showed that he has the ability to catch the ball and to make something happen with it. So come up with a way to get him the ball in short-yardage or goal-line settings.

It would be fun. Football should be fun. The Chiefs do it, from time to time. It’s permissible in the right amount. The right amount is definitely more than none at all.

Dolphins sign Damon Arnette to practice squad

Posted by Josh Alper on December 16, 2021, 6:58 AM EST

Cornerback Damon Arnette has found a place to continue his NFL career.

The Dolphins signed Arnette to their practice squad on Wednesday. It is the 2020 first-round pick’s first job in the NFL since being cut by the Raiders in early November.

Arnette was waived after a video was released showing Arnette threatening someone’s life while carrying a gun. He also faces lawsuits for allegedly leaving the scene of a car accident and for spitting on a parking valet at a Las Vegas hotel.

Arnette dealt with injuries during his time with the Raiders and only appeared in 13 games after being selected with the 19th overall pick last year. He had 29 tackles and three passes defensed in those appearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

such a sliding doors moment that minor Brissett injury in the Ravens game for Miami's season and Tua's career GG.exe

if Brissett didn't come out for those few series' im pretty sure Miami were shutting down Tua on the season. The fact he was dressed as a backup injured in that game was strange also.

The butterfly effect from that knock on the knee has been epic.

such a sliding doors moment that minor Brissett injury in the Ravens game for Miami's season and Tua's career GG.exe

if Brissett didn't come out for those few series' im pretty sure Miami were shutting down Tua on the season. The fact he was dressed as a backup injured in that game was strange also.

The butterfly effect from that knock on the knee has been epic.
100 percent. He still was being traded for tho after that, but lucky for Miami how it unfolded. Tua sucked it in and kept at it, team on the verge of playoffs, maybe year three he can stick it up Ross' ass.

I meant Waddle's stat line, what do you reckon it will be in his rookie year ?
Ruggs like
I would guess 650-750 yards 5TDs. Ramping it up towards the end of the year and finishing on a tear.
I dont think those speedster types can jave Jefferson like rookie seasons
I don't think they will either, but with OTAs and TC this year I'd really hope for more than what Ruggs gave the Raiders last year.
Tua still on baby wheels wont help, and gesicki beasting and parker eating targets and gaskin beasting.... Waddle "should" have an average rookie year....logically
Yes this. Playing in the slot might help him a little bit but a lot of competition for targets in the Phins team now. I wouldn’t be putting much faith in any of them being elite fantasy players, think it will be an all round contribution

In your face GG.exe and WRU666 ... Waddle even exceeded my expectation however, hes much better than Ruggs was in his rookie year. Far more complete player.

I did say he'd ramp it up towards the end of the year and bang on the money with that statement :)

Clear WR1 now.

In your face GG.exe and WRU666 ... Waddle even exceeded my expectation however, hes much better than Ruggs was in his rookie year. Far more complete player.

I did say he'd ramp it up towards the end of the year and bang on the money with that statement :)

Clear WR1 now.
Good on you and Waddle. You were right, I was wrong.

I was also right and you were wrong when I said watch Miami go on a late season tear, winning tons of games.

We all have our moments.

Good on you and Waddle. You were right, I was wrong.

I was also right and you were wrong when I said watch Miami go on a late season tear, winning tons of games.

We all have our moments.

And you reminded me of that, so its only fair I return the favour. :tearsofjoy:

Why is it i expect they will lose today with a chance to be in a wildcard spot with 2 weeks left on the line.

Been burned so many times before.

New Orleans are on their 3rd string QB team ravaged by covid this has a dolphins capitulation written all over it after getting our hopes back up after a horrific start

Why is it i expect they will lose today with a chance to be in a wildcard spot with 2 weeks left on the line.

Been burned so many times before.

New Orleans are on their 3rd string QB team ravaged by covid this has a dolphins capitulation written all over it after getting our hopes back up after a horrific start

Dolphins comfortably imo, assuming Tua doesn't s**t the bed. Saints going to struggle to move the ball I reckon. Flores just needs to stay aggressive on defense.

Dolphins comfortably imo, assuming Tua doesn't sh*t the bed. Saints going to struggle to move the ball I reckon. Flores just needs to stay aggressive on defense.

Professional tipster.

Hope the fins make the playoffs somehow, would be a hell of an achievement after starting 1-7. Thats great coaching by Flores.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back