Teams Miami Dolphins - The Fins

Remove this Banner Ad

I dunno what's wrong with Gase. He phased out Jarvis Landry, a beast of a player. Then Kenny Stills for much of this season was phased out. Stills publicly questioned his role, only for them to suddenly remember him and start throwing him the ball -- resulting in about 3 big games from Stills. Now they want to phase Parker out.

-----------

Speaking Thursday, Dolphins OC Dowell Loggains admitted the team was phasing DeVante Parker out of the offense.

"It's combination of injuries, production, practice," Loggains said. Fact check: True. It still seems uniquely Dolphins that the team has been so incapable of coaxing consistency out of its former first-rounder. Going on 26, Parker will not lack for teams looking to give him a second chance after the Dolphins decline his 2019 team option.

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Parker has been a bust. He is soft and injury prone, and there have been reports all the way through that he does not have the discipline or work ethic. But he does have talent which is why he hasn't been traded yet.
He wouldn't command much more than a 5th round pick to be honest.

I don't think there is anything wrong though in questioning Gase - he got rid of Landry (stupid decision) because Landry was too much an alpha type personality that couldn't be controlled. Stills does have the capacity to drop easy balls but he is our best receiver so I am staggered too why he wasn't used more often.

Gase seems to be very good at getting guys to play for him, but he is limited in play calling. The top brass need to give him new co-ordinators. Based on history though, the top brass don't know their arse from their elbows on what to do.

The team have done better than I expected, but again, another .500% type season or thereabouts so another mid round pick coming. We never learn, and be mired in mediocrity for a while yet unless we do something out of the box

Parker has been a bust. He is soft and injury prone, and there have been reports all the way through that he does not have the discipline or work ethic. But he does have talent which is why he hasn't been traded yet.
He wouldn't command much more than a 5th round pick to be honest.

I don't think there is anything wrong though in questioning Gase - he got rid of Landry (stupid decision) because Landry was too much an alpha type personality that couldn't be controlled. Stills does have the capacity to drop easy balls but he is our best receiver so I am staggered too why he wasn't used more often.

Gase seems to be very good at getting guys to play for him, but he is limited in play calling. The top brass need to give him new co-ordinators. Based on history though, the top brass don't know their arse from their elbows on what to do.

The team have done better than I expected, but again, another .500% type season or thereabouts so another mid round pick coming. We never learn, and be mired in mediocrity for a while yet unless we do something out of the box

a new young franchise qb would be the ticket imo.

But if they didn't do it last year, why would they do it this year when it seems that QB ranks are thinner.

Plus, when Tannehill has played, he has mostly played at a reasonable level. In three games since his return (not including the Vikings game mind you), he has thrown for over 600 yards, 8 touchdowns, 1 interception. The article linked has some good stats which my guess will be enough for the Dolphins to go "see, our QB is not the problem"

I think Tannehill is a good QB who can be very very good on his day, but he is older now, and less durable than he was. And I think there needs to be a big recalibration of the squad if we are to go anywhere. A new QB could be the start? I am certainly not against it

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article222632535.html

Gase has yet to have his own drafted QB, someone to merge with over the course of 5-10 years.
Gase is still very young.
Tannehill starting to break down, as you say.
Also, just to have some new hyper-enthusiastic young QB, a la Mayfield, reinvigorate the club.

All those factors why it should happen. Tho the draft class is lower than previous years, there's a few names worth monitoring who could still end up being very good QBs.

Another ineffective display when the season (mathematically) on the line.

Next week when we beat the Bills in a game that means * all, will bring us to a stat that about sums up the organisation if one of the Miami beat writers is correct about our post Shula history

"

Stephen Ross says Dolphins won’t try to hire Jim Harbaugh
Posted by Josh Alper on December 24, 2018, 11:18 AM EST
gettyimages-1064767490-e1543094003935.jpg

Getty Images

When Jim Harbaugh was making the move from Stanford to the NFL in 2011, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross made a trip to visit Harbaugh to talk about the job while the late Tony Sparano was still the head coach in Miami.

Harbaugh chose the 49ers and Sparano was fired during the 2011 season after going 4-9 in the first 13 games. Todd Bowles took over as the interim coach for the final three weeks, which brings us back to Harbaugh and coaching moves.

Bowles is the head coach of the Jets for at least another week and PFT reported on Sunday that the team plans to make a run at hiring Harbaugh to replace him. According to Ross, the Dolphins won’t be a competitor.

Ross told the Miami Herald that he will not try to hire Harbaugh away from Michigan. Harbaugh has said that he is staying in Ann Arbor.

As was the case in 2011, the Dolphins currently have a head coach under contract and Ross has given no concrete answer about whether Adam Gase is going to remain in Miami for a fourth season.

Even if the Dolphins are sticking with Gase, Ross could try to get in the way of Harbaugh moving to the Jets or any other NFL team. He went to Michigan and is a major donor to the school, so could get involved in putting together a reason for Harbaugh to stay put if necessary.

Report: Dolphins are “all but certain” to part ways with Mike Tannenbaum
Posted by Mike Florio on December 26, 2018, 5:53 AM EST
GettyImages-617547338-e1545821510535.jpg

Getty Images

Undecided about potential changes 10 days ago, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has made at least one decision regarding the future of his team.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that Ross is “all but certain to dismiss” V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum, who has spent four seasons with the team.

But that very well could be the only change Ross makes. Salguero also reports that, “barring some unexpected circumstance,” coach Adam Gase and G.M. Chris Grier will return in 2019. The unexpected circumstance would entail something like: (1) the Dolphins performing poorly again in Week 17 against the Bills; and (2) a “significant upgrade becoming available” at coach.

While Ross won’t pursue Jim Harbaugh, who currently is the coach at the college to which Ross has given enough money to get a building named after himself, Ross is believed to be very interested in Jim’s brother, John, and that Ross could attempt to initiate conversations with the Ravens about what would be, as a practical matter, a trade. With John Harbaugh under contract for only one more year and potentially willing to not sign an extension, Ross could possibly pry Harbaugh away.

It will take money, especially with Seahawks coach Pete Carroll now reportedly making $11 million per year. Beyond that, the full power over the football operations currently possessed by Gase would be attractive to any coach who currently doesn’t have it — and John Harbaugh currently doesn’t have it in Baltimore.

Even if Ross keeps Gase, Salguero suggests that Gase should be offered a contract extension that would bump up his $5 million annual salary but also reduce his influence, balancing his voice with someone else who would be able to tell Gase “no” when Gase wants to trade a Jarvis Landry or a Mike Pouncey or a Jay Ajayi, for example, or to keep a Ryan Tannehill. Of course, there’s a chance Gase may not want to give up his current authority, which could provoke a showdown that could become an “unexpected circumstance” that would pave the way for a bigger change in Miami.

You've got to wonder how a guy like Ross who must be so successful in his business life manages to spectacularly fail in just about every facet in his Dolphins life. What appointments has he made that have been successful?
The organisation must be run so ineptly at best, or be so toxic that they continually fail each and every year to improve.
Maybe by sacking the executive "football guy" a new person comes in and says "fuggit, lets blow up this mess and start again" cos it is clear that this roster is limited.

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are prepared to move on from Ryan Tannehill after this season rather than pay him the $19 million he's owed over the next two years.

None of Tannehill's 2019-2020 scheduled pay is guaranteed, so it will be an easy cord to cut. By releasing or trading Tannehill, the Fins would save $13.2 million under the 2019 salary cap, or $18.7 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. Amid reports the front office will also be cleaned out, the Dolphins' organization appears headed for a near-full overhaul this offseason.

Source: Miami Herald

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero reports the Dolphins are "all but certain" to fire EVP Mike Tannenbaum.

But according to Salguero, "barring some unexpected circumstance", coach Adam Gase and GM Chris Grier are expected to remain in place. Tannenbaum, the ex-Jets GM, has been in Miami since 2014 and was part of the group that hired Gase and Grier. Tannenbaum doesn't have much power in the organization, since Gase has all of the personnel decision-making powers and has full control of the 53-man roster, offense, defense, and special teams. Gase is on very shaky ground.

Source: Miami Herald

Nick Saban on Dolphins’ experience: I found out maybe I was more suited for college
Posted by Charean Williams on December 28, 2018, 7:33 PM EST

GettyImages-116615490-e1546043631528.jpg

Getty Images

The Alabama media guide ignores two seasons of Nick Saban’s year-by-year coaching career. In his two seasons with the Dolphins, Saban went 9-7 in 2005 and 6-10 in 2006.

On Saturday night, he returns to the stadium where he briefly had a stint as an NFL coach.

“I learned from my experience coming here. I learned something about myself,” Saban said, via Steven Wine of the Associated Press. “At the time, it was a tough consequence to have to deal with. I couldn’t have been in a better situation with better people here in Miami. But I found out maybe I was a little more suited to be a college coach. That was a tough realization because of the obligations I had to the people I worked for, and the players.”

Things have worked out more than OK for Saban as his Crimson Tide play Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl for a berth in the College Football Playoff final. Alabama is trying to win its sixth title in 10 seasons.

“I enjoyed coaching in the NFL,” Saban said. “I love college coaching.”

Things have not worked out so well for the Dolphins after Saban decided Drew Brees‘ surgically repaired shoulder was too much risk in the 2006 offseason. The Dolphins signed Daunte Culpepper instead of Brees, who went to New Orleans.

Brees, who has a Super Bowl ring, became the NFL’s all-time leading passer this season. The Dolphins are 90-117 with two playoff appearances and no playoff wins since declining to sign Brees. They are on their seventh coach since then, including interim coaches, and current coach Adam Gase is on the hot seat.

“It takes time to build a program,” Saban said, advocating for the Dolphins to keep Gase. “Sometimes when you make changes, you take two steps back to go one step forward.”

Tannenbaum’s expected departure could spark overhaul of Miami front office
Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2018, 1:39 PM EST

GettyImages-1052707360-e1546022275367.jpg

Getty Images

The weekend report that Dolphins V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum is all but certain to be fired is if anything becoming more certain as Week 17 approaches. So if/when Tannenbaum goes, what happens next?

At this point, no one knows. Chris Grier serves as the G.M., but he doesn’t have true G.M. powers. As Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald explained it over the weekend, coach Adam Gase holds the contractual final say over the team.

Salguero also suggested that the Dolphins should offer Gase an extension and a raise, along with a reeling in of his authority. And that may become a necessity, given what the Dolphins could be planning for the future.

Per a league source, Vikings assistant G.M. George Paton and Bills assistant G.M. Joe Schoen are among those who could be interviewed for a position in Miami, possibly for the same title Tannenbaum holds. But if Miami isn’t able to offer a new employee control over the football operation, the Vikings and Bills (and any other team with a current front-office employee under contract) would be able to block the process.

That’s why the Dolphins need to wrest power from Gase, either voluntarily or involuntarily, if the goal is to hire a high-level executive from another NFL franchise. And that gives Gase plenty of leverage over the team, since Gase sacrificing his say becomes the key both to keeping him and to adding a high-end candidate, regardless of whether the title is G.M. or V.P. of football operations.

The wild-card in all of this becomes Grier. After the retirement of Ozzie Newsome, Grier will become the only minority G.M. left in the NFL, and there soon will be plenty of external pressure placed on the league both to rectify the situation and to not exacerbate it. The league could then turn that pressure toward the Dolphins, and the Dolphins may feel compelled to find a way to keep Grier, even if the new head of football operations (whatever the title) wants to hire his own staff.

Looming over everything is the lingering belief that owner Stephen Ross would be interested in hiring Ravens coach John Harbaugh. Before hiring Harbaugh, however, Ross would have to: (1) fire Gase; (2) conduct an inclusive coaching search that satisfies the Rooney Rule; (3) work out compensation with the Ravens in the event Harbaugh is hired; and (4) negotiate a contract with Harbaugh. Absent deft and discreet back-channeling, Ross may have to pull the plug on a coach he’d otherwise prefer to keep and then hope that Harbaugh can eventually be landed.

However it plays out, the expected termination of Tannenbaum will become the first in what ultimately could become a messy pile of dominoes that will land Lord knows where. Which basically summarizes the state of the Dolphins over most of the past decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Saban on Dolphins’ experience: I found out maybe I was more suited for college
Posted by Charean Williams on December 28, 2018, 7:33 PM EST

GettyImages-116615490-e1546043631528.jpg

Getty Images

The Alabama media guide ignores two seasons of Nick Saban’s year-by-year coaching career. In his two seasons with the Dolphins, Saban went 9-7 in 2005 and 6-10 in 2006.

On Saturday night, he returns to the stadium where he briefly had a stint as an NFL coach.

“I learned from my experience coming here. I learned something about myself,” Saban said, via Steven Wine of the Associated Press. “At the time, it was a tough consequence to have to deal with. I couldn’t have been in a better situation with better people here in Miami. But I found out maybe I was a little more suited to be a college coach. That was a tough realization because of the obligations I had to the people I worked for, and the players.”

Things have worked out more than OK for Saban as his Crimson Tide play Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl for a berth in the College Football Playoff final. Alabama is trying to win its sixth title in 10 seasons.

“I enjoyed coaching in the NFL,” Saban said. “I love college coaching.”

Things have not worked out so well for the Dolphins after Saban decided Drew Brees‘ surgically repaired shoulder was too much risk in the 2006 offseason. The Dolphins signed Daunte Culpepper instead of Brees, who went to New Orleans.

Brees, who has a Super Bowl ring, became the NFL’s all-time leading passer this season. The Dolphins are 90-117 with two playoff appearances and no playoff wins since declining to sign Brees. They are on their seventh coach since then, including interim coaches, and current coach Adam Gase is on the hot seat.

“It takes time to build a program,” Saban said, advocating for the Dolphins to keep Gase. “Sometimes when you make changes, you take two steps back to go one step forward.

What sort of change would you make where you take two steps back to go one step forward? Your net position is still -1 ... with that logic Dolphins will go for it too

And the Brees thing ... ouch

The Gase - Tannehill era is surely over now. And whilst I expected to win today's dead rubber, it is probably apt that it ends with a whimper

Interesting times ahead

Stephen Ross changed his mind about taking his time
Posted by Mike Florio on December 31, 2018, 10:46 AM EST

GettyImages-630494656-e1546271168213.jpg

Getty Images

As of Sunday night, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross planned to take some time before making a decision about coach Adam Gase. Between Sunday night and Monday morning, something changed.

Per a league source, Ross unexpectedly decided to pull the trigger on Gase after three seasons with the team, the first of which resulted in a playoff berth.

Some have speculated that Gase quite possibly asked Ross for clarity ASAFP, given that other opportunities will be out there for Gase. And if Gase finds another job in coaching, any buyout obligation by Ross would be reduced.

It was believed Ross planned to keep the bird in the hand while determining whether he had a chance at getting a bigger bird in the bush. That’s what Ross did in early 2011 when sniffing around Jim Harbaugh while Tony Sparano was still the coach.

This time around, Ross has interest in Ravens coach John Harbaugh. With a vacancy now created, the Dolphins can begin the interview process, waiting for Baltimore’s season to end before moving forward on a possible attempt to essentially trade for Harbaugh.

Chris Grier takes over as head of football operations in Miami
Posted by Josh Alper on December 31, 2018, 11:08 AM EST
GettyImages-526114866-e1546272481639.jpg

Getty Images

The Dolphins fired head coach Adam Gase on Monday and the announcement of that move also revealed other changes to the power structure in Miami.

As expected, the team announced that executive vice president of football operations Mike Tannenbaum will no longer continue in that role. Per the team, he has been reassigned to another role while General Manager Chris Grier has been promoted to run the team’s football operations.

Grier will report to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross in that role and the team announced that the new coach will report to Grier. That’s a change from the structure with Gase and Tannenbaum and Ross said in a statement that the team wanted “a more streamlined structure for accountability” as they move forward.

Grier has worked for the Dolphins since 2000 and went from director of college scouting to G.M. in 2016.

Report: Tannenbaum’s reassignment is actually an exit

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2019, 10:22 AM EST

When the news emerged on Monday that Dolphins owner Stephen Ross had reassigned V.P. of football operations Mike Tannenbaum to a non-football position, some league insiders wondered whether he’d become one of those non-football football guys who have influence without accountability.

That’s not the case.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Heraldreports that Tannenbaum has essentially been fired, but with more of a face-saving exit.

“He will not be working for the team again,” Salguero writes. “By the time the draft comes in April, it will be obvious he is no longer with the organization.”

Ross will pay Tannenbaum for the next two years, the remaining duration of his contract. But Tannenbaum, a former G.M. of the Jets, will move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back