Remove this Banner Ad

Winston Wolf

Debutant
Oct 9, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Final 2002 NFL Rushing Leaders

This was taken from BIG DAVE'S MIAMI DOLPHIN website

Interesting Observation .....9 of the top 10 rushers didn't make the playoffs. So much for needing a running game to make the playoffs. What do you think about those odd stats??

PLAYER.......................TEAM.....TOTAL...ATT..AVG..TD...LONG
Ricky Williams...............Dolphins...1853...383...4.8....16....63
LaDanian Tomlinson......Chargers...1683...372...4.5....14....76
Priest Holmes..............Chiefs........1615...313...5.2...21....56
Clinton Portis..............Broncos.....1508...273...5.5....15....59
Travis Henry................Bills...........1438...325...4.4...13....34
Deuce McAllister..........Saints........1388...325...4.3...13....62
Tiki Barber...................Giants........1387...304...4.6...11....70
Jamal Lewis.................Ravens.......1327...308...4.3...6.....75
Fred Taylor..................Jaguars.......1314...287...4.6...8....63
Corey Dillon.................Bengals.......1311...314...4.2...7....67

Priest Holmes was gyped not getting to play in the final two games. I don't know if he would have got 1853 yards, but he was definitely on track to beat poser Marshal Faulks TD record. :mad:

Oh, and Winston....disregard my pre-season preview predicting that the Dolphins would use Rick to establish their passing game. I don't think even Miami knew he would be that good. ;)

Peace,

Anyone Out There? It's Week 2 of the Season

...just wondering if there is any of you out there. It's week two of the season now, and the Dolphins need to overcome the odds to make it 1-1. Any fans out there who wanna talk NFL??

You'll be wanting the General Sports board.

Dolphins' Wannstedt resign's

He was pushed. Ricky screwed him

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...?slug=ap-dolphins-wannstedt&prov=ap&type=lgns

Reports: Dolphins' Wannstedt plans to resign

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer
November 9, 2004
MIAMI (AP) -- Coach Dave Wannstedt's latest loss with the Miami Dolphins may be his last.

Midway through a dismal season that has left Miami with the NFL's worst record, Wannstedt was expected to resign Tuesday, according to media reports late Monday. Television station WTVJ reported Wannstedt already resigned.

Wannstedt met Monday night at the team's complex with owner Wayne Huizenga, who confirmed an announcement was planned Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

``Dave called me and we got together, but I'm not going to comment at this point,'' Huizenga told The Associated Press.

The Herald, citing unidentified club sources and an NFL source in its report, said defensive coordinator Jim Bates will be named interim coach at a news conference Tuesday.

It's unclear whether Wannstedt was forced to resign midway through a dismal season that began with the retirement of star running back Ricky Williams and has left the team at 1-8. The timing of the move wasn't surprising with the Dolphins beginning their bye week.

Bates' first game as interim head coach would be Nov. 21 at Seattle. He was head coach of the USFL's San Antonio Gunslingers in 1985 and became the Dolphins' defensive coordinator when Wannstedt became head coach in 2000.

Miami blew two leads and lost 24-23 Sunday to the Arizona Cardinals, who ended a 17-game road losing streak. The Dolphins endured their most lopsided defeat of the season last Monday, 41-14 against the archrival New York Jets.

Dolphins players were aware of Wannstedt's tenuous future and the rising tide of discontent among fans.

``I feel sorry for the guy because he's a first-class guy,'' cornerback Patrick Surtain said after Sunday's defeat.

``It's not like guys aren't going out there giving 110 percent and laying it on the line for him. We're doing it all -- getting holding penalties, offsides, we're doing crazy stuff. How can he control that when he's on the sidelines?''

Wannstedt barely avoided being fired after last season, when Miami failed to reach the playoffs for the second year in a row. Huizenga decided to keep Wannstedt but stripped him of authority over personnel decisions.

Little has gone right for Miami since. Wannstedt was twice forced to change offensive coordinators during the offseason, and Williams abruptly retired just before training camp. Receiver David Boston, the top offseason acquisition, suffered a season-ending knee injury before the first exhibition game.

That was the start of an injury wave as the Dolphins endured the worst start in their 39-year history. They're one defeat from their first losing season since 1988.

Wannstedt, who succeeded Jimmy Johnson in 2000, has a record of 43-33 in Miami. His career NFL record, including six seasons with the Chicago Bears, is 84-90.

Wannstedt was fired in 1997 by the Bears. His final two teams there went 4-12.

The Dolphins won only one playoff game under Wannstedt, and that was four years ago. Even with seven Pro Bowl players in 2002, including NFL rushing champion Williams and sacks leader Jason Taylor, the Dolphins missed the playoffs.

One of Wannstedt's first moves when he became coach was to nudge a 38-year-old Dan Marino into retirement. As a replacement Wannstedt acquired Jay Fiedler, who has never been popular with Dolphins' fans.

Wannstedt was just the fourth coach in Dolphins history, and only Don Shula coached the team longer.

While the Dolphins have been a perennial playoff contender -- until this year, at least -- they haven't reached the AFC championship game since 1992. Their last Super Bowl berth was in 1984, and they haven't won an NFL title since 1973.

Huizenga, who became sole owner of the Dolphins in 1994, has been through three coaches in pursuit of a championship. He nudged Shula into retirement following the 1995 season, and Johnson called it quits four years later.

Re: Dolphins' Wannstedt resign's

You have to feel sorry for Wannstedt, after Ricky Williams jumped ship it was always going to be hard to have an impact without a running game.

coasting said:
You have to feel sorry for Wannstedt, after Ricky Williams jumped ship it was always going to be hard to have an impact without a running game.

Trading Ogunleye for Marty Booker didnt help either.

Miami are a half decent QB and RB away from a playoff team. Defensively they have some talant especially in the secondary and their recieving core when fit are very good. They could have it fixed by next season unfortunately for wannstedt thats one year too late.

That 2005 second round pick to Philadelphia for A.J. Feeley is looking like a shocker of a trade now too.

Porthos said:
That 2005 second round pick to Philadelphia for A.J. Feeley is looking like a shocker of a trade now too.

I think they also traded their 3rd round pick for Lamar Gordon. They have traded away all their picks and they are still sh*te. They were better off just copping the bad year and keeping their picks... but I guess when coaches jobs are on the line they don't really care about the future.

Yep. This guy obviously got Schwabby's handbook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why blame Ricky Williams? Wannstedt was always going to go if Miami didn't reach the playoffs - something they failed to do with two o/s seasons by Ricky Williams.

Miami needed to find other offensive weapons this year. They haven't - that's the end of the story. Other teams have lost their starting RB and managed to cope just fine. Christ, even New Orleans could find a backup runner that could run for 100 yards.

Sure Williams didn't help, but they did have a reasonable amount of time to correct the situation and they didn't. If your offense relies on one player than you really need to question the coaching strategy anyway. Had Williams gone down with a knee or similar - the situation would be no different.

At least I suppose Wannstedt has an excuse. Now Haslett, what's his excuse? :mad:

I think Wannstedt is to blame. He had one decent season in Chicago, then he decided to play musical QBs with Walsh and Kramer.
In Miami, he picked up from Jimmy Johnson and rode them into the ground.

Williams averaged less than 4 yards a carry, you can't blame him for a poor o-line, no passing game, bad trades, poor drafting....

Broken said:
I think Wannstedt is to blame. He had one decent season in Chicago, then he decided to play musical QBs with Walsh and Kramer.

Williams averaged less than 4 yards a carry, you can't blame him for a poor o-line, no passing game, bad trades, poor drafting....

That may be the case.

all the picks for comming last have been traded away. I can see them being bad for a number of years to come

Broken said:

Speaking of Johnson this could be the 1 job in the NFL which he would want to get back into coaching. Spurrie and Nick Saban have been the other names mentioned.

DBAH0 said:
Speaking of Johnson this could be the 1 job in the NFL which he would want to get back into coaching. Spurrie and Nick Saban have been the other names mentioned.
I doubt Saban would accept the offer (he's already said no).

Many in the Big Easy are hoping he's waiting for a position closer to home.

BATON ROUGE -- Due to unsubstantiated rumors that have linked LSU coach Nick Saban to a head coaching position in the NFL, Saban made the following statement on Tuesday:

"I'm happy with the job that I have at LSU and I'm not interested in doing anything else. I'm happy here and my family is happy here. I don't know anything about any other jobs. We have lots of challenges ahead of us and I'm looking forward to playing the final three games of the regular season which starts this weekend against Alabama."

Upset of the year!!

Miami beat New England!!

29-28.

Surely this is the biggest upset of the year! Miami will be going nuts right at the moment! I cant believe NE lost to Miami...they had the ball in Miami's half and Brady threw an Interception and its all over!!

Amazing result! Just reading the stats, Miami were down 28-17 with just a tick over 2mins to go and they come away with a 29-28 win. Not only that, after they got their first TD to close the gap they intercepted a NE pass and went into NE territory where they scored the game winning touchdown on a 4th down situation!! In both of their TD's they went for the 2pt conversion and missed, but still got away with this amazing win! It also looks like NE had the best of the play as well, Brady doesnt look to have had his best game but still managed 171yds from 18/29 and 3 TD passes! While Dillon rushed for 121yds off 26 attempts. For Miami Feeley managed 198yds from 22/35 and one TD pass, while Miami only rushed for a total of 52 yards!

How will this affect the AFC Playoff Race??

There sure have been some amazing results and finishes this weekend in the NFL!!

Re: Upset of the year!!

DOLPHINS! DOLPHINS! DOLPHINS!

Awesome

Billy Volek can stay in Tennessee!!!.......We got A.J Feely!!!!

DOLPHINS GET ANOTHER WIN AT LAST!!!

Nah....who am I kidding......Billy please come on down to Florida!!!

God help us!!

Sorry to hear it Woodson. Thoughts are with you mate.

Thank you Miami. The Steelers only have to win one more game to get home field advantage thru the playoffs.

Dasher39 said:
How will this affect the AFC Playoff Race??

Just makes it all more intriguing. Egg on the faces of media who were convinced NE had it in the bag. No real respect paid to Pittsburgh. Rookie quartbacks aren't allowed to win SB's apparently. :rolleyes: F*** them. Not jumping on the Steelers bandwagon now. The Colts will surely be everyone's SB wish now. Go, jump on the Colts bandwagon... I'm sure they are awaiting to be crowned the Champs as soon as Peyton passes Dan's record and the NE Pats will be licking thier wounds in the meantime. More nasty surprises to come. I'm not feeling very good atm. Gotta unleash.

And who laughed at me for tipping Miami?

They were due for a win. The defense has been solid all year, and since giving the Weiner the flick, the offense has put plenty of points on the board. Last week they were unlucky against Denver, and this week played their hearts out.

Funny thing about todays game was even without a running game, Miami scored three running touchdowns.

And WTF was Brady thinking with that last interception? Straight out of the Testaverde handbook.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back