Delisted Michael Barlow [delisted]

Isn't old heads like the Barlow Hodge McVeigh S. Mitchell types what the GC need? Worked for the Lions this year. Along with Melbourne with Lewis and going back to Vince and Cross. GC with no clue.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Isn't old heads like the Barlow Hodge McVeigh S. Mitchell types what the GC need? Worked for the Lions this year. Along with Melbourne with Lewis and going back to Vince and Cross. GC with no clue.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think it was more of a personality clash with Dew

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
Baffling decision from Gold Coast. Not only is he still more than capable as an inside midfielder, he's a terrific clubman and would be great for the young GC list. Bizzare.

Really hope he gets picked up by Carlton.

The big problem for Barlow is that the most obvious fit for him just got rid of him. The only other club that might be keen is Carlton and they're not that short of 30+ players either.

Don't get why Dew doesn't rate him. Especially when a clearly cooked Rischitelli has played the whole season.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Barlow is also pretty much exclusively a midifelder. He's never been pacey and isn't going to get quicker from 30 onwards. Can only assume they think he will just take midfield minutes away from their young group.

Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis have all played at least some time in defence since moving. Goddard would be the same, also McVeigh who has been mentioned as a target has been an AA HBF. Barlow could offer on field leadership and physical maturity, but not in the same sense as sitting behind the ball directing traffic, on field coaching the way Hodge does at Brisbane because he'd be at the coal face most of the time. Just a theory.

But in saying that, given the state of Gold Coast's list you could easily keep Barlow and add both Goddard and McVeigh.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
A team that requires experience and a big body capable of racking up excellent numbers could really use his services.

Maybe a team like Gold Coast!

Oh wait

harrisendblue

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Baffling decision from Gold Coast. Not only is he still more than capable as an inside midfielder, he's a terrific clubman and would be great for the young GC list. Bizzare.

Really hope he gets picked up by Carlton.
Not in the age bracket were after unfortunately. Also got to wonder why GCS ditched him when they need experience heads.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Not in the age bracket were after unfortunately. Also got to wonder why GCS ditched him when they need experience heads.
Age bracket is one thing but experience is another

We had power, McDonald, cornes, brogan, Hunt, Mumford, Shaw, Griffen, Deledio and Johnson come into the team that were arguably outside of the age bracket but improved us and we were better for it

harrisendblue

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Age bracket is one thing but experience is another

We had power, McDonald, cornes, brogan, Hunt, Mumford, Shaw, Griffen, Deledio and Johnson come into the team that were arguably outside of the age bracket but improved us and we were better for it
Problem is he is to old 31 and we have neough of that that age group. Also the wrong type of mid for us - very very slow. We have enough inside mids. The demographic we are after is 22-27.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Seems a strange decision given where GC are at, although I thought it was strange that he was out of favour with Dew and the MC to begin with.

Reportedly a great clubman and excellent trainer, not to mention is a decent player. Would definitely not be against him wearing Navy Blue and setting a good example/protecting some of our young midfielders. Hopefully we look at him.

The problem was do you play barlow at inside mid or someone like a Brodie or Ainsworth?
I feel like there would be room for both. The only other inside mids that are better at the Suns are Lyons, Swallow and maybe Miller. IMO you could get away with 5 in a starting 22 and you also need depth too. Add that Ainsworth and Bowes can play elsewhere and....

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
I feel like there would be room for both. The only other inside mids that are better at the Suns are Lyons, Swallow and maybe Miller. IMO you could get away with 5 in a starting 22 and you also need depth too. Add that Ainsworth and Bowes can play elsewhere and....
Bowes only went into the midfield properly in the last couple of games. Ainsworth played a bit in the forward line. I just think if we played all of them in the midfield we would have been slow as hell

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
He'd be regretting his decision to go to the Gold Coast massively I'd say. How he wasn't in their 22 for most the season is beyond me though, touch and go whether another club picks him up.

Was out with fractured jaw which was complicated by Bell’s palsy for a good stint.

Nevertheless, I was against him in the team. Dew had said he couldn’t play miller, swallow, Lyons, Brodie, Barlow all together because they are all similar. Couldn’t cover oppo mids with good defensive running because of their lack of pace. Was why Jarryd Lyons got dropped during the year.

When he played, particularly rd 22 he just didn’t athletically look up to afl standard anymore.
1st qtr rd 23 he was abysmal.
Did play quite well last 3 qtrs though.

We are looking at a big turnover and had to get list spots open.
Personally would have been happy for him to stay and a couple of other plodders go (lemmens, schoenfeld) but we signed them to contract extensions for some unknown reason...

Unfortunately didn’t work out. Could see dews reasoning to some extent.

Back