Michael Christian... Please explain - The Cunnington bump

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoy laughing at North more than anybody. But seriously......... how is that a suspension? 🤷‍♂️

Same.

A little late, but not excessively so.
Didn't appear high.
Player was winded, but came back before long at 100%.

It's barely even a free kick. (I wouldn't complain if it was paid, or if it wasn't).

Aug 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It was after the kick so downfield free was correct but oh boy wowee... Unless there is some weird medical report from the crows how that is marked as medium impact?!!

Tex9798

Team Captain
Sep 25, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Let's take a look at the newly available evidence in comparison to the assessment:

View attachment 1100948

The ball had literally just left the boot when Cunnington braces to bump.

View attachment 1100949

Cunnington kept his feet on the ground - didn't jump into Laird.

View attachment 1100950

Contact is made shoulder to shoulder - importantly, Cunnington never raises or elevates his elbow.

You tell me, folks.

You tell me...
Conveniently leave out the next frame that clearly shows his shoulder collecting the head.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Late and unnecessary. Clearly a bump too. Laird starts his kick and Cunnington has 3 steps to decide if he can smother or get out of the way. He doesn't neither.

High contact. It's clear as day from the reverse angle.

Is it medium impact or low impact? Well it's probably low impact, but just like the Zac Williams suspension before round 1 the AFL have decided there's an idiot tax and Cunnington has to pay it. He'll probably get it overturned at the tribunal but at least every player is on notice.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If it was HIGH contact and medium impact...surely Laird gets a concussion test? He gets hit in the head at speed by a much more solid player and doesn't need a test. He's just winded.

Yeah, nah.

Laird was OK because he didn't get any sort of real impact to the head. Had he been hit properly in the head he would have stayed down and everyone would have agreed it's a 3 weeker.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Conveniently leave out the next frame that clearly shows his shoulder collecting the head.

The shoulder definitely draws level with the head, but not sure it actually touched the head? Laird seemed a lot more worried about his knee - if he'd copped one in the side of the way you'd have surely seen a reaction to that.

I assume there's a medical report of some kind which confirms there was contact to the head.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Yeah ok head contact. Still pretty light impact. He deserves a week off for not smothering the ball, if I was a north supporter that's what I'd be upset about.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham

May just be the worst citing we’ll see. Like what on earth is Michael Christian seeing here?

Surely North challenge and sanity prevails as he gets off.

Isn’t this just a normal bump? What am I missing in this footage?

This is definitely a concern. Do we really want the classic bump gone from the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
He actually starts slowing and pulling up to lessen the impact.
Once again Christian with another head scratcher.
Once again the AFL will put some type of amendment/rule change/clarification/interpretation in place rather than fix the actual problem which has been the same problem for years.
What has Michael Christian got over the league??

Oct 2, 2002
* . . port lincoln
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Seattle SuperSonics
He actually starts slowing and pulling up to lessen the impact.
Once again Christian with another head scratcher.
Once again the AFL will put some type of amendment/rule change/clarification/interpretation in place rather than fix the actual problem which has been the same problem for years.
What has Michael Christian got over the league??
I thought if you choose to bump and hit the head when the balls gone you are always going to be in trouble he didn't have to bump i guess anyway I don't think he deserves a week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like a downfield free kick (just) and nothing else.

Are the MRP Bored? With all due respect to Cunnington he's not the most agile of player so a bump half a second after disposal certainly isn't malicious, especially considering he tucked in his elbow, turned his body and stayed on the ground.

There is 100% an angle that shows some contact made to the head, so it would constitute a high bump. Obviously impact pretty low.
Yep, the force of the head impact was about what a kid’s head sustains when they run up and hug their mum.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Yep, the force of the head impact was about what a kid’s head sustains when they run up and hug their mum.
Yeh low impact, just highlighting that it was made to the head.

I'm not liking the AFL using "potential to cause injury". Any tackle, bump, ruck contest, marking contest, attack on the ball has the potential to cause injury.

Back