Michael Christian - The worst thing to happen to AFL

Aug 27, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
There was literally no force, basically stands there and puts the arm up for a bump and Worpel purposely runs into it
According to Chris Scott this is called a bumper bar move, something his players train for, so we can.assume there's nothing to see here, will be cleared on appeal.

That North Bloke should not have been suspended. He made a legal shepherd bump and the whiplash caused a potential head clash.

When Ryan Burton chose to bump and accidentally knocked out Shaun Higgins, it was fine, when Sam Durdin bumped Gary Rohan, and accidentally knocked him out, it wasn't fine.

By suspending Durdin for a perfect legitimate bump
AFL said in December that there is strict liability on anyone choosing to bump. If you cause an injury you will be held to account for that.

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
When Ryan Burton chose to bump and accidentally knocked out Shaun Higgins, it was fine, when Sam Durdin bumped Gary Rohan, and accidentally knocked him out, it wasn't fine.
It is a disgrace that Durdin was rubbed out. I always wonder where the craziness would end. What happens if Brown, Lynch, Walker, Ryan etc. go up for a mark and accidentally knock a bloke out with a knee to the back of the head? Do they go in for mark of the year and get weeks?

Feb 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
AFL said in December that there is strict liability on anyone choosing to bump. If you cause an injury you will be held to account for that.
It was strict liability if you choose to bump when you have another option like tackle. In the Durdin incident he couldn't of tackled Rohan because he didn't have the ball

Surely Paul

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
For a club that got gifted a home final by the league against Geelong in 2017 they sure do have a victim complex.

Read the rules champ. It's a home state final that you get if you finish higher, not your home ground - did you ever see St Kilda play a final at Moorabbin??.
Oh, and commiserations about Essendon.
And remember, jealousy is an unattractive quality.

Do I win anything?

It amazes me that such integral parts of the game can be "interpreted" so differently from one season to another.

Round 5 2018 (Late April) - this is fine

Roound 8 2019 (Early May) - this is not fine

It is just mind boggling.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
It amazes me that such integral parts of the game can be "interpreted" so differently from one season to another.

Round 5 2018 (Late April) - this is fine

Roound 8 2019 (Early May) - this is not fine

It is just mind boggling.

Not even between seasons, sometimes within weeks.

The tribunal/MRO are just following agendas of the AFL and media to keep the game in the public interest. Suspending the superstars would decrease ratings, and we can't have that.

But the agenda that trumps the one above is, was the other player knocked out? If yes, suspend.

I'll keep bringing it up, but if Gaff didn't break Brayshaw's jaw, he would've just got a fine or even cleared with "insufficient force". But remember, he was aiming for a punch to the guts/chest, and when players went down, the media would always claim they went down "too easy for a light tummy tap". Gaff went with the same force in his punch aimed at the chest (love tap) which was strong enough to break someones jaw.

Not even between seasons, sometimes within weeks.

The tribunal/MRO are just following agendas of the AFL and media to keep the game in the public interest. Suspending the superstars would decrease ratings, and we can't have that.

But the agenda that trumps the one above is, was the other player knocked out? If yes, suspend.

I'll keep bringing it up, but if Gaff didn't break Brayshaw's jaw, he would've just got a fine or even cleared with "insufficient force". But remember, he was aiming for a punch to the guts/chest, and when players went down, the media would always claim they went down "too easy for a light tummy tap". Gaff went with the same force in his punch aimed at the chest (love tap) which was strong enough to break someones jaw.

Yep, completely agree, its a "sports entertainment" business now rather than an actual sporting competition.

And completely agree on Gaff, he just got unlucky.

Or, more accurately, he got lucky, because if he didn't break Brayshaw's jaw he'd probably be at North now lol.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
The whole game is chook lotto these days.

\The whistle blows and half the time no one knows which way it's going or what it's for.
Or everyone stops because they know a free was just given away, and it's play on.

Chrisso is only the bonus round...
Off-topic, but the way advantage rule is implemented is madness.

Umpire blows the whistle, the player with the ball has to either ignore it, thinking it's his teams free kick so they can take advantage, or risks giving away 50m penalty because he guessed the whistle the wrong way.

Other choice is, hears whistle, stops and then allows the opposing team to get numbers back.

We get taught to play to the whistle, but you can't do that in AFL anymore. You have to play until the double whistle.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
Yep, completely agree, its a "sports entertainment" business now rather than an actual sporting competition.

And completely agree on Gaff, he just got unlucky.

Or, more accurately, he got lucky, because if he didn't break Brayshaw's jaw he'd probably be at North now lol.
Yeah, AFE, Australian Football Entertainment makes more sense than league.

It's weird how I was taught to play the ball, not the man, during my playing days in juniors.

Now, you're more likely to be suspended playing the ball and hurting players accidentally via normal football actions than non-footballing actions. Punching and raising your elbows seem to be ok if you don't hurt them that much.

The whole game is chook lotto these days.

\The whistle blows and half the time no one knows which way it's going or what it's for.
Or everyone stops because they know a free was just given away, and it's play on.

Chrisso is only the bonus round...

Yep, it is amazing how often these days a whistle goes and both players in a contest go back to accept the free. Or the whistle goes in a marking contest and none of the players involved know what has happened until some self-important twerp scoots in from forty metres to announce that he's spotted a "hold" or a "block" that means one team deserves a shot on goal or is denied the chance for a shot on goal, despite this clearly having not actually had an impact on the contest.

The one now though, that happens at least once a round, and used to happen about once a year, is when all the players stop because they see something so obvious a free kick that even blind freddy couldn't miss it, but no, the umpire yells play on.

It is usually a holding the ball where a player is tackled and just drops the balls but the umpire reckons it is "knocked out in the tackle". Also sometimes clearly over the shoulder but the ump decides a player has ducked into it.

So ridiculously over-officiated.

Yeah, AFE, Australian Football Entertainment makes more sense than league.

It's weird how I was taught to play the ball, not the man, during my playing days in juniors.

Now, you're more likely to be suspended playing the ball and hurting players accidentally via normal football actions than non-footballing actions. Punching and raising your elbows seem to be ok if you don't hurt them that much.

And the scenario where a player is paid a free on the field for something, that suddenly, after suitable media outrage, becomes a reportable offence.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
The Worpel/soldo one is ridiculous. Soldo is running back to the middle after a goal after a Worpel takes a very deliberate step into his path to block his run.
Soldo was almost at a stop when he hit him. If Worpel wasn't trying to be a tough guy nothing would have happened. If you instigate a round the neck you don't get the free, this is almost the same. You can see it very plainly on the Ivan Soldo thread on Richmond's BF page. 10.28am this morning. Only one player even bothered to moderately remonstrate, and Worpel was up straight away. Very low impact.
If that can't be overturned I'll be very surprised. It's a chook raffle.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
So what else do you do? Just put up a stop sign and hold at your hand to stop a player from chasing and tackling your opponent?

I am not arguing with you because you’re simply reiterating the rule, but man, this sport has gone to hell. The AFL might as well apply that logic to guys taking screamers. What if Max Gawn was concussed by Liam Ryan’s knee? Seriously? Have they thought about the double standard there?

Back