Michael Christian - The worst thing to happen to AFL

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reckon it needs to be independent, without any AFL control. You can almost see the forces at work behind some of the decisions.
I agree. The AFL players association should look at a professional survey to all players on AFL lists and actually get their feedback, as well as instituting one for the public. Get feedback on what they’re happy and not happy with.

I fully endorse outsourcing the MRP to a completely neutral third party.

So there was no suspension for Burton? Interesting.

Gross double standard right there.

Nup, nothing, despite Higgins missing the rest of the game, having to go to hospital and requiring surgery. Pretty sure he missed the next week too, though would have to check.

Strauchanside

Team Captain
May 19, 2012
Ballarat
AFL Club
Carlton
Off-topic, but the way advantage rule is implemented is madness.

Umpire blows the whistle, the player with the ball has to either ignore it, thinking it's his teams free kick so they can take advantage, or risks giving away 50m penalty because he guessed the whistle the wrong way.

Other choice is, hears whistle, stops and then allows the opposing team to get numbers back.

We get taught to play to the whistle, but you can't do that in AFL anymore. You have to play until the double whistle.
I've always felt this, how it's funny that the only time the advantage rule is actually effective is that when frees paid are so inconsequential to the general run of play. Otherwise the whistle blows and no one really knows who the free is actually going to, much like your scenario.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nup, nothing, despite Higgins missing the rest of the game, having to go to hospital and requiring surgery. Pretty sure he missed the next week too, though would have to check.
All I can see is that it’s a complete joke. Comical in fact that highly paid executives can allow it to occur. There’s obviously an agenda. They can’t be that dumb and blind.

This is the Burton bump, now tell me he couldn’t have stopped and tackled? It was almost front on even though it wasn’t high, and clearly was an option to bump and not tackle.

This is Durdin. Have a look at circumstances; had to stop him chasing the north player, within distance of the north player, couldn’t tackle as he didn’t have the ball. Perfectly legitimate technique.

Now look at this mark from Ryan;

https://m.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2019-05-17/liam-ryan-sends-optus-into-a-frenzy

Ok, now how close is Ryan’s knee to Gawns head? Very very close. Yet should Gawn have been concussed what would occur? Nothing. But hang on, Ryan CHOSE to carry out a potentially dangerous action.

MRP = all over the shop

All I can see is that it’s a complete joke. Comical in fact that highly paid executives can allow it to occur. There’s obviously an agenda. They can’t be that dumb and blind.

Yep, it is utterly disgraceful.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, it is utterly disgraceful.
The Burton Bump;
1. Bumped a player with the ball
2. Could have tackled
3. Was close to front on
4. Was probably mid range impact
5. Probably not intentional

The Durdin Bump;
1. Bumped a player without the ball
2. Couldn’t have tackled
3. Was side on
4. Low impact - hit him well under the head
5. Not intentional

Am I missing something or should I have Christian’s job?

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
I've always felt this, how it's funny that the only time the advantage rule is actually effective is that when frees paid are so inconsequential to the general run of play. Otherwise the whistle blows and no one really knows who the free is actually going to, much like your scenario.
Yep, that 2nd scenario is the worse. The players without the ball will stop to see which way the umpire is pointing, but the player with the ball has gambled and taken off and has a huge advantage. The advantage only occurring due to the whistle.

I remember years ago when it was first brought in, if players around the ball carrier stopped, they would bring it back since it wasn't a flow in play.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
The Burton Bump;
2. Could have tackled
3. Was close to front on

The Durdin Bump;
2. Couldn’t have tackled
3. Was side on
5. Not intentional

Here's one thing you missed. Remember the outrage when Kosi was bumped by Gia in a shepherd, very similar to the Rohan one.

Ignoring the rules of football, one player had the ball and should've expected pressure to arrive. The other was running and was blindsided.

Not saying I disagree with you and your logic, but this is the only way I can make sense of it.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Here's one thing you missed. Remember the outrage when Kosi was bumped by Gia in a shepherd, very similar to the Rohan one.

Ignoring the rules of football, one player had the ball and should've expected pressure to arrive. The other was running and was blindsided.

Not saying I disagree with you and your logic, but this is the only way I can make sense of it.
To think that Rohan could not have seen Durdin is comical.

I know the changes occurred, but the AFL has cocked this up. If you look at about 3:12, Durdin was practically in vision with Rohan. I don’t accept he was blindsided at all.

Jul 16, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MUFC, Storm, Rebels
To think that Rohan could not have seen Durdin is comical.

I know the changes occurred, but the AFL has cocked this up. If you look at about 3:12, Durdin was practically in vision with Rohan. I don’t accept he was blindsided at all.

Looks like he's got tunnel vision and hasn't even noticed anyone to his periphery.

I also don't think Durdin should've been suspended thoughm but it's the only way I can explain why Burton was ok, but Durdin not.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The Burton Bump;
2. Could have tackled
3. Was close to front on

The Durdin Bump;
2. Couldn’t have tackled
3. Was side on
5. Not intentional

The only thing you’re missing is the most ridiculous rule change.
If last year was this year he would’ve been suspended.
Really wish common sense was used by the MRO

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
The only thing you’re missing is the most ridiculous rule change.
If last year was this year he would’ve been suspended.
Really wish common sense was used by the MRO

Like usual the idiots in charge change the rules based on one incident they didn't like. Not taking into account what will happen when they change them. The contact below the knees rule is the other example.

It amazes me that such integral parts of the game can be "interpreted" so differently from one season to another.

Round 5 2018 (Late April) - this is fine

Roound 8 2019 (Early May) - this is not fine

It is just mind boggling.

Look at the dates

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
I am so glad for old mate being part of the new MRP system, it means serious war criminals like Ivan Soldo don’t get to walk away scott free and are punished for their crimes against humanity.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jeez guys, just accept that soldo had a massive brain-fade and did something silly. His reaction said it all...he was genuinely concerned for worpel's welfare after he clipped him

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
Dead set I think this bloke is trolling the footy world to make headlines.

Think about it - the AFL media is exponentially growing, there are new journos every year. But guess what? Nothing actually ******* happens in this sport. Unlike America, there is no mid season trade period, transfer period or college leagues. Yet they want the same amount of media coverage. So what do they do? They make the stories themselves by making bullshit tribunal decisions and goalpost climbing fiascos talking points for the 85 Superfooty articles and 4x AFL 360 episodes for the week.

The AFL are purposely trolling to feed the oversaturated media and cause more headlines, thus more exposure.

It’ll only stop once there is enough ‘happening’ in the sport to keep the journos busy. In my opinion we need a mid season draft, mid season trade period, national reserves league, permanent Thursday and Monday night fixtures and/or an U/21’s league and raise the playing age to 21.

That will keep the morons busy enough.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Jeez guys, just accept that soldo had a massive brain-fade and did something silly. His reaction said it all...he was genuinely concerned for worpel's welfare after he clipped him
Compared to what ablett did twice, fyfe, and also Mitchell last year.

If they had all gone then fair enough no complaints. But soldo, grimes and the hawthorn player (cousins?) from this year should all feel extremely hard done by.

It's at the point where the mrp isn't just incompetent, it's corrupt because they are deliberately treating the star/brownlow contenders differently because of pr.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
No doubt he clipped Worpel but he had virtually stopped as Worpel moved into his path. Worpel instigated the contact, more a reflex action than a brain fade. There was little chance of anything dangerous. Ablett, Fyfe were at full speed and were just lucky that the blows didn't contact where they could have as it could have been very serious. The consequences were far worse. Varcoe lined a player up with his head over the ball and hit him at full tilt and got one week like Soldo. The inconsistency is nonsensical.

Back