Delisted Michael Close (2012-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

If Freeman and McStay or Schache play closer to goals Close could still play a role pushing up to the wings like Lynch does for the Crows.

Player Reviews: Part Seven

Michael Close’s third season was cut short in Round Two when he injured his ACL in the Lions’ loss to the Kangaroos. Close’s absence in Brisbane’s forward line exposed the Club’s vulnerabilities, as the Lions were without another key forward option to make an impact on the scoreboard. The Ballarat product underwent knee surgery in mid-April and has made steady progress since – having his running load increased prior to the end of season break.

Michael Close Makes Return To Main Training Group

Brisbane Lions forward Michael Close joined the main training group yesterday for the first time after missing almost the entire 2015 season with a serious knee injury.

Close and Lions medical staff are pleased with the 21-year-old’s continued recovery since rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in round two against North Melbourne last season.

“It was very disappointing but I’ve got to move on,” Close told LionsTV following day one of Lions' pre-season training yesterday.

“It’s a character builder. I’m looking forward to a big pre-season, I’ve been working (on my fitness) over the past few months while I’ve been home and overseas.

“Hopefully I can get fit and ready to go and play round one."

Not sure where it'd be, but I hope we find a place for him in the side. Worst case scenario, Freo would surely be interested in him at the end of the year and he might have some currency.
I honestly cant see him as a forward. His kicks too awkwardly and robot like but is inconsistent. Freeman and Schache are ahead due to talent alone. Add mcstay up forward and theres no room for him.

I hope he finds a spot down back at CHB. Tank to run all day and a good size to match it with the monsters. Clarke as full back and Close as the CHB would be great long term.

I honestly cant see him as a forward. His kicks too awkwardly and robot like but is inconsistent. Freeman and Schache are ahead due to talent alone. Add mcstay up forward and theres no room for him.

I hope he finds a spot down back at CHB. Tank to run all day and a good size to match it with the monsters. Clarke as full back and Close as the CHB would be great long term.

That still leaves Hipwood and Andrews. Assuming Andrews plays as a mobile third tall in the back?

That still leaves Hipwood and Andrews. Assuming Andrews plays as a mobile third tall in the back?
Both still young and skinny but yeah. A bit of depth on kp areas might be coming. Makes it tough though.

Michael Close's Struggle Recovering From ACL Injury

YOUNG Brisbane Lions forward Michael Close has spoken of the difficulty in coming back from an ACL injury, describing it as "the saddest place to be".

The 21-year-old made headlines for the wrong reasons early in 2015, when he ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament after slipping on artificial turf at Etihad Stadium in round two against North Melbourne.

What had started as a season full of promise where Close hoped to nail down a permanent spot in the Lions' forward line, quickly turned to a year down the tubes.

The country Victorian is now almost 10 months into his rehabilitation and ready to jump right in intra-club games in the next fortnight.

"It was tough," Close told AFL.com.au.

Reserves Wrap - Southport - 05/03/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

First game in almost 12 months coming back from his knee reco. He contributed really well, he impacted aerially for us, took about four or five marks. He’s got some work to do on his goal kicking. It was good to get him back into the frame of playing footy again and he certainly had an impact. Looking forward to bigger things in the next few weeks from him.

Reserves Wrap: V Redland

Again more game time – second game back. He hurt himself but hopefully he’s available for the next practice match game. He came off about 10 minutes into the third. He probably lost his presence up forward. He’d taken a couple of catches, kicked two or three goals from his marks in contested situations that was a really promising sign. He was a big loss and certainly not getting many minutes into him was a bit of a dampener. Hopefully he’ll be alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two Lions Injured In Reserves Match

Young forward Michael Close and defender Hugh Beasley have suffered injury setbacks in Sunday’s Reserves loss to Redland.

Close fractured his right wrist and injured a ligament in his right foot in a separate incident. “Michael unfortunately sustained a couple of injuries,” Lions Head of Phsiotherapy Shane Lemcke told LionsTV. “He broke a bone in his hand as well as straining a ligament in his foot. That’s likely to keep him out for about six weeks for those two injuries.”

It’s an untimely injury for the 21-year-old who ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in round two against North Melbourne last season and was finding form through the Lions’ reserves.

Reserves Wrap - GWS - 17/07/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments?)

Probably his best game for the Club, particularly this year. Coming off a knee reconstruction he is just starting to find his feet again after 8 or 9 weeks off earlier in the year. He was our most influential forward. He took 12 marks, 5 of those contested. He had a good balance with 5 tackles, hit the scoreboard and kicked 2.1. The really pleasing thing was his engage and separate, he was on the move and made his defender defend him was a highlight. His workrate was up, his GPS numbers were good for a key forward. It’d be really good to see Michael finish off the year strongly and continue that good form and get some real confidence off what he can do coming off two serious injuries.

Reserves Wrap - Sydney - 06/08/16 (Shane Woewodin’s comments)

He was dropped from the seniors and came back with a terrific attitude. He led from the front. Played as a key forward and was probably our best player on the day. At times we had to whack him behind the ball just to stem the flow a bit where he took a lot of mocks. He had 10 marks out of his 19 possessions. He didn’t hit the scoreboard, probably because a bit more of it was spent behind the ball helping us out but I thought he was terrific on the day. His workrate was high, competing at the contest and really having a strong presence both aerially and on the ground.

Wounded Lions doing the hard yards

All post-season surgery has been completed, aside from Michael Close who still requires a minor knee 'clear-out,’ and Griffith is confident that the boys are all tracking well.

"Everyone else (aside from Close) has had the surgery that they require and is basically going on really well,” Griffith said.

Player Reviews: No. 31 - 35

Michael Close played a total of two games for the Lions in 2016 after recovering from a Season ending ACL injury in 2015. He was quiet in his first game, but in his second game against Carlton, he showed what we can expect from him in the future, as he finished with five marks and four goals against the Blues.

Coach’s notes:

Close played two AFL games for the Season after coming back from a knee reconstruction. He kicked four goals in his second game against Carlton and showed his ability to take contested marks. Unfortunately, he was injured later in the Season meaning he missed the last two games, but what we saw in Closey was his ability to come back from injury and hopefully with a pre-season under his belt can get more body, size and agility work through his game. With Schache and Hipwood, he helps provide us with three promising tall forwards moving forward.

michaelclose2016rev.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back