Rumour Michael Close to Hawthorn?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Vickery, Fitzpatrick and Surman all retiring Close wouldn’t be the worst option out there right now when you consider Roughead and Gunston not playing as permanent forwards as well as our lack of key marking targets inside 50 he could be worth a shot on the senior list as a delisted free agent after the national draft.

I like this.
Matthew Hammelmann was my suggestion a while back but Close would be in the same range as a long shot, long term player in a position of need

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying that Close isn't any good, but why would the Lions have delisted him if he was a great KPP, especially after losing Schache? If he can't find a spot on the Lions list, what value could he add at the Hawks?

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not saying that Close isn't any good, but why would the Lions have delisted him if he was a great KPP, especially after losing Schache? If he can't find a spot on the Lions list, what value could he add at the Hawks?

On SM-G900I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fitzmagic TV replacement good depth with potential to be moulded into a ruck forward role

...did I mention cheap?

From what I found online:

Michael Close

Close was drafted by Brisbane at Pick 32 in the 2012 AFL National Draft.[1] made his AFL debut for Brisbane in the Round 1 match against Hawthorn in the 2014 AFL season.[2] In October 2017, Close was delisted by Brisbane.[3]

Full name Michael Close
Date of birth 30 July 1994 (age 23)
Original team(s) North Ballarat Rebels (TAC Cup)
Draft No. 32, 2012 national draft
Height 197 cm (6 ft 6 in)
Weight 98 kg (216 lb)
Position(s) Full-forward
Playing career1
Years
Club Games (Goals)
2014–2017
Brisbane Lions 27 (24)

Michael Close is an aggressive tall forward with elite running capability, who was drafted to the Lions as a long-term project player at the end of 2012. As is the case for most young key position prospects, he will be given time to hopefully develop into someone who can hold down a forward role.

• Close who grew up in the tiny western Victorian town of Harrow, and although he didn't have a favourite team or player when he was growing up, he always wanted to emulate Jonathan Brown.

• He boarded at Monivae College in Hamilton from Year Nine, before shifting to St Pat's in Ballarat to complete his secondary schooling and be part of the North Ballarat Rebels program in the TAC Cup.

• The Rebels finished minor premiers in the TAC Cup, but were beaten beaten by Oakleigh in the preliminary final. Close's best performance came against Tasmania, when he collected 18 disposals, took five marks, had 22 hitouts, and kicked two goals. He also kicked a season-best five goals against the Eastern Ranges. He also represented VIC Country at the U18 National Championships.

• The Brisbane Lions ended up taking the big-framed youngster with Pick No.32 at the 2012 AFL National Draft, with a view of him being a long-term prospect up forward.

• At the time of him being drafted, National Talent Manager Rob Kerr said: "There are a few rough edges we'll try to knock off him over the next few years, but the thing in Michael's favour is that he's very competitive and that was the thing that probably stood out for us. He's going to be a project player. We need to find players who can hold down forward roles for us."

mclose2017feb4.jpg

If true, he looks in the mould of the type of player we seem to have gone after each year over the years.

Seems to have some very good AFL traits but lacking something that allows them to have a long career in the 1s.

How's this for a list of names:

Wayde Skipper (2009)
Paul Johnston (2010)
Broc McCauley (2011)
Adam Pattison (2011)
Jarrad Boumann (2011)
Jonathon Ceglar (2012)
Jack Fitzpatrick (2016)
Michael Close?

Nobody has told who Michael is, let alone why he was close to Hawthorn.

Barry Michael? George Michael? Michael Rowyourboatashore? And how close? Glen Iris? Malvern? Kew?

More input. Please.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back