Delisted Michael Close (2012-2017)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure, but if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was a good pass but Close spilled the mark and juggled it, hence causing the knee to collapse.

He just landed awkwardly and there didn't seem much in it, he did go straight off and that never is a good sign.

Not sure, but if my memory serves me correctly, I think it was a good pass but Close spilled the mark and juggled it, hence causing the knee to collapse.

I was on the opposite side of the ground but it seemed he was all alone so there should have been no reason why a simple pass / mark should not have been completed :cool:

Ahhh well, them's the breaks...

the pass was reasonable, wasn't anything aweful like at the knees etc. IIRC Leppo said in the post match that Close landed on the AstroTurf meets grass section along the boundary line. Wouldn't have happened if Close took it in one grab though. Poor bugger hope he hits the gym hard.

the pass was reasonable, wasn't anything aweful like at the knees etc. IIRC Leppo said in the post match that Close landed on the AstroTurf meets grass section along the boundary line. Wouldn't have happened if Close took it in one grab though. Poor bugger hope he hits the gym hard.
Thats true, he probably wont be able to do much with his legs but 1 full year of pumping up his torso and arms should have him pushing guys off a lot easier.

Devastated for the kid, you know he will do the work to come back but just terrible timing for him personally and also the team generally as we really have little in the way of replacements.

One players tragedy is another's opportunity and I'm sure that Mick will be cheering on whoever comes to replace him.

All the best Closey

When a players ACL goes in a situation like that, I always wonder a) if it's the body showing that it can't handle the extra weight or b) if the ligaments in that knee are already slightly weakened from a previous incident.
Not sure whether there's any concrete evidence connecting this with ACL tears in some cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was. It's great to say everyone should bulk up, we need bigger bodies out there etc. But it's not a realistic option for everyone, and there are risks involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When a players ACL goes in a situation like that, I always wonder a) if it's the body showing that it can't handle the extra weight or b) if the ligaments in that knee are already slightly weakened from a previous incident.
There's a good argument for the former, with extra weight in the wrong areas. Ie he put a lot of upper body mass on but didn't get enough gains in the quads/calves - which support the knee

Not sure whether there's any concrete evidence connecting this with ACL tears in some cases, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was. It's great to say everyone should bulk up, we need bigger bodies out there etc. But it's not a realistic option for everyone, and there are risks involved.
There is, but generally clubs will modify a young players training to cope with this. It's more to do with the way you land and strength through the core and glutes to absorb the pressure than anything which didn't look like it was the issue with this incident. I'd be surprised if this was the reason for the Close ACL to be honest.

Michael Close ruptures ACL, will miss rest of 2015, Brisbane Lions without key forward

BRISBANE have raised concerns over the safety of the Etihad Stadium surface after losing key forward Michael Close for a year with an ACL injury.

The injury, which leaves Brisbane without a key forward, has stunned and angered Lions officials who have questioned the uneven patch of astroturf on the boundary near the interchange where the injury occurred.

Lions CEO Greg Swann alerted AFL football operations manager Mark Evans to the incident after scans showed Close would require a knee-reconstruction.

As others have said shattered for Close. I back him to make a full recovery.

Wasn't it an issue with the Danklands turf that effected one of Vossy's final campaigns? 2004? Not the broken leg incident which was in Perth. if the turf is an issue, it is really unfortunate for professional athletes to have to play on it.

Brisbane Lions want $100,000 compensation for Etihad Stadium injury

BRISBANE is seeking compensation of up to $100,000 for an injury which the Lions believe was caused by an unsafe playing surface at Etihad Stadium.

Key forward Michael Close requires a full knee reconstruction and will miss at least 12 months of football.

The Lions will have to pay Close injury payments of about $4000 per game while he is unavailable for selection, and will also have to pay match fees to his replacement — possibly a upgraded rookie-listed player.

That was it. I remember that pretty clearly. The juggle took him towards the boundary line.

The headline is pretty deceptive - we're actually just exploring our options and investigating whether the turf in question was a contributing factor, rather than "wanting" compensation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back