Delisted Michael Hartley [drafted to Hawthorn in the preseason draft]

Remove this Banner Ad

198cm KPD - Out of contract this year in a market where KPDs can command a premium.

What is his value? I imagine a few clubs will ask about his status. Given our defensive issues I would be surprised if the Bulldogs haven;t at least approached his management. We're relying on Trengove to stop the big opposition KPFs and he's our only real AFL ready back up ruck as well.

I don't think he's worth much - is a good depth KPD but gets lost occasionally and isn't the best 1 on 1. TBF he hasn't had a heap of opportunity as we've been spoiled with 2x AA defenders in Hooker and Hurley and now Ambrose who is a good stopper. I think the club are going to continue to play Francis ahead of him for development, too. He's a good, long kick and does an ok job when he's been in the side but I'd be very concerned if he had to front up to the opposition's best key forward each week. Of all our players who are currently out of contract, I'd be least disappointed to lose him & wouldn't hold it against him if he wasn't satisfied with 1 year contracts playing as depth & left to more opportunity.

I don't think he's worth much - is a good depth KPD but gets lost occasionally and isn't the best 1 on 1. TBF he hasn't had a heap of opportunity as we've been spoiled with 2x AA defenders in Hooker and Hurley and now Ambrose who is a good stopper. I think the club are going to continue to play Francis ahead of him for development, too. He's a good, long kick and does an ok job when he's been in the side but I'd be very concerned if he had to front up to the opposition's best key forward each week. Of all our players who are currently out of contract, I'd be least disappointed to lose him & wouldn't hold it against him if he wasn't satisfied with 1 year contracts playing as depth & left to more opportunity.
Yeah you guys have traditionally been blessed with KPD depth, can't remember a time where you struggled.
We have zero depth in that area so figured he'd be a gettable option. Last week at VFL level we had two legitimate talls in the side and one of them was a rookie ruckman.

Realistically he's worth little more than a token pick and shouldn't be seen as more than a stop-gap solution until a better player can be found. I'd love to keep him as he's excellent depth and has done wonders for our VFL side but I can't begrudge somebody moving to get the consistent opportunity we can't offer him.

Will likely play the remainder of the season unless Hurley gets back.
Esp with Hooker so valuable up forward.

So we may look to trade, but wouldn't be surprised if we delisted him if an offer came his way and a trade can't be worked out.

Too good for VFL. Behind too many at Essendon....
And we have Zerk-Thatcher impressing, plus Ridley who has already proven himself at AFL level as a 3rd tall.

Should be a few clubs looking.

Depth at Essendon, yet would easily be our number 1 key defender if he came to the Dogs. Unless some significant shake up were to happen with Essendon's KPD stocks, he's more likely to get consistent games elsewhere. Could end up a career-revival move to the Dogs in return for a later pick, similar to us picking up Lloyd, as well as us trading off Roughead to Collingwood last year. Both for later picks (64 and 75) with the understanding that they'd be guaranteed more games at their destination clubs. Happy to pay that price, or even more, to bring Hartley in given how big of a need his type is

Depth at Essendon, yet would easily be our number 1 key defender if he came to the Dogs. Unless some significant shake up were to happen with Essendon's KPD stocks, he's more likely to get consistent games elsewhere. Could end up a career-revival move to the Dogs in return for a later pick, similar to us picking up Lloyd, as well as us trading off Roughead to Collingwood last year. Both for later picks (64 and 75) with the understanding that they'd be guaranteed more games at their destination clubs. Happy to pay that price, or even more, to bring Hartley in given how big of a need his type is
Would love to see Harts get a decent run be it with us or elsewhere. With Zerk-Thatcher and Ridley also waiting in the wings one of them will have to look elsewhere if they want regular games

Yeah you guys have traditionally been blessed with KPD depth, can't remember a time where you struggled.
We have zero depth in that area so figured he'd be a gettable option. Last week at VFL level we had two legitimate talls in the side and one of them was a rookie ruckman.
I imagine he would be absolutely gettable.

A pick between 45-60 would do it i imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't realise at first, but given that he spent 2 years on Collingwood's rookie list and was delisted, he now qualifies as a free agent thanks to the AFLs new rules. That could actually be great news for Essendon as it means they may actually get more for him than initially expected, since he's only 26 and should get a median income at the very least. Might mean a 3rd rounder compensation if he leaves instead of a token late pick

Can’t believe no one took him off our hands last year when he was killing it at VFL.

He is arguably the best kick at the club and is athletic enough for tall defender.

Weaknesses

- Isn’t a strong overhead mark

- At AFL level he doesn’t seem to back himself and regularly gets caught searching for his opponent when he should just contest the ball.

- Lacks the mobility to play on your more mobile 2nd/3rd talls

Didn't realise at first, but given that he spent 2 years on Collingwood's rookie list and was delisted, he now qualifies as a free agent thanks to the AFLs new rules. That could actually be great news for Essendon as it means they may actually get more for him than initially expected, since he's only 26 and should get a median income at the very least. Might mean a 3rd rounder compensation if he leaves instead of a token late pick

No he’s not. Have to spend all 6 years at one AFL club to qualify, he spent 2 (post Collingwood) at VFL club Coburg.

Try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No he’s not. Have to spend all 6 years at one AFL club to qualify, he spent 2 (post Collingwood) at VFL club Coburg.

Try again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No new rules any delisted player has free agency for life regardless of years, Gower's from us has same thing when he is out of contract

List of free agents:

I think he’s improved his contested game a fair bit this year and won’t be as exposed as he has been in the past as long as he has a decent midfield in front of him. For instance he lost 20% (1/5) of his one on ones in defence last week and Hurley has been going at 30% this year and Hooker about 27%. Obviously there are better forwards out there than Jenkins but he was running hot when Harts went to him.

If he's a FA that makes him a no brainer for a club like the Bulldogs. Our KPD depth is terrible.

After Adams left, You should've asked last year. If you offer him 3-4 years, he'll jump at it in an instant. Just had a baby so that security would be huge for him.
That works for us. We have Trengove for two more years then just kids with Lewis Young 20 and Naughton (swingman) 19.

Yeah, think he goes to the Dogs. Would be a good fit, would take the monsters and allow Trengove to be a genuine ruck and help English rather than defender/ruck. Also showed a bit up front this year as well surprisingly. And a great bloke to take kick outs too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back