Delisted Michael Hartley [drafted to Hawthorn in the preseason draft]

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Disagree on Frawley, i think he had probably his best and most consistent season in his time at the Hawks. Still has a few of his classic Frawley moments with ball in hand but he has been really consistently solid for us. Obviously ageing but not showing any signs of slowing down yet.
I'm not saying he couldn't play well in 2020 and even go on in 2021 but he's 31, his stats took another small trend down in marks/disposals, he missed time with a hammy and he relies on his athleticism to play well. Key defenders who go on to their mid 30's are usually more guys with really good skills and smarts.

I imagine the plan is to give Frost a year to learn the system then make the handover, but Hartley has extra height and skill so is really a better full back option if he could play consistently and then Frost is really good on smalls/medium marking players so might replace Stratton. Either way mature key defensive options are required if you think you're somewhat in a flag window.

Either way I'd be far more surprised if Hartley was playing ruck/forward than if he was a useful defender.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens

Because he was offered a contract though he’s not eligible for “delisted free agency”, so now he’s just out of contract and bound to Essendon until the conclusion of the draft, and has to go in the pre-season draft as a result.

Sam Gray was offered a contract but went to Sydney as a delisted free agent.

Do Hawks have academy players this year? May just be padding out draft slots for bid points payment
We've got Maginness as a F/S and we may nominate Pepper as an NGA however he would likely come to us in the rookie draft or as a Cat B rookie.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm

Probably the Bombers just playing funny-buggers, once they discovered his intention to join us.....Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

You saw how they treated Daniher…..It's all about them & not the welfare of their players, as we've come to expect from them....Sad to see they still haven't learnt a thing.

We've got Maginness as a F/S and we may nominate Pepper as an NGA however he would likely come to us in the rookie draft or as a Cat B rookie.
From what cal said it sounds like a timing thing, but something else I read said he delisted himself and in that case players who initiate the process by filling out the form don’t become free agents (or everyone would do it).

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Do you mean Hurley?

Hartley was a Doctor Who if I'm not mistaken.

Was there a Hartley in the AFL? First I've heard of it.

Oh well. Good luck to him. Hope he earns 6 digits in 2020.

Do you mean Hurley?

Hartley was a Doctor Who if I'm not mistaken.

Was there a Hartley in the AFL? First I've heard of it.

Oh well. Good luck to him. Hope he earns 6 digits in 2020.
Yes there is a Hartley. Completely different person to Hurley.

Probably the Bombers just playing funny-buggers, once they discovered his intention to join us.....Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

You saw how they treated Daniher…..It's all about them & not the welfare of their players, as we've come to expect from them....Sad to see they still haven't learnt a thing.
The sad thing is you actually believing this.

Unfazed

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon

Ryan Burton says hi.

Fully commensurate both in character & in keeping with the Bombers behaviour during the trade-period.....And their record over the past 7 years, for that matter.
I don't see how you can say that if you're "observing" our behaviour. As usual your assessment is lacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why would you stay at a club that doesn't want you?

I am sure that many players are asked the question during trade period that we don’t hear about. If Burton wanted to stay I am sure he would not be the first player to dig his heels in to say, “Nah I have a contract and I’m not going”. Would show the club that the boy is invested and has a stiff upper lip.

Your comment is no different to saying, why would a club want to keep a player thats requested to be traded. Bit of hypocrisy perhaps?

Hawks have been pretty good at working with its players in trying to meet the requirements of both parties. We’ve lost many players that have left for peanuts in recent times. We are pretty good to deal with unlike dodo.

He was happy to return home in the end...There was a fair bit of by-play in the media by Port, in order to assuage their membership over the loss of Wingard.
You put your young star on the trade table. The by play is spin by yourself to justify why.
I am sure that many players are asked the question during trade period that we don’t hear about. If Burton wanted to stay I am sure he would not be the first player to dig his heels in to say, “Nah I have a contract and I’m not going”. Would show the club that the boy is invested and has a stiff upper lip.

Your comment is no different to saying, why would a club want to keep a player thats requested to be traded. Bit of hypocrisy perhaps?

Hawks have been pretty good at working with its players in trying to meet the requirements of both parties. We’ve lost many players that have left for peanuts in recent times. We are pretty good to deal with unlike dodo.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
So the thread is nothing to do about Daniher or Essendons player welfare 5 years ago either, cool.

It's about Hartley & his treatment by the Essendon Football club in leaving him in the lurch....Which is fully commensurate with their treatment of Daniher this trade period also.

Happy to clear that up for you sport.

It's about Hartley & his treatment by the Essendon Football club in leaving him in the lurch....Which is fully commensurate with their treatment of Daniher this trade period also.

Leaving him in the lurch by offering a contract?

You put your young star on the trade table. The by play is spin by yourself to justify why.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

We didn't offer Burton up initially. Somehow Jason Cripps got away with saying that we did during trade period, then admitting afterwards that it was in fact Port that asked the question.

Either way it was a matter of getting a player of Wingard's quality, so we had to give up Burton whom we had ample cover for particularly with the signing of Scrimshaw that same draft period.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon

Hartley treatment was the same way you treated Lewis.

We offered him a contract. He got a better offer elsewhere?

How dare you treat Lewis that way!

Back