Delisted Michael Hartley [drafted to Hawthorn in the preseason draft]

Remove this Banner Ad

Do tell. Why did Essendon make a formal offer to him?

Why not just ask him his thoughts during the end of year meeting?

At what point did Essendon actually believe he would accept the one year offer?
Because they wanted him

They did

Whilst they were unaware of any other offers

Mocking, really.

I assume Danniher next year will have all sorts of games played by Dodoro and the team.
I'm comfortable with my assessment

Because they wanted him

They did

Whilst they were unaware of any other offers

Really. So they are the only people in the AFL world who missed the dozens of pages of discussion on him being linked to Hawthorn, as well as Hawthorn saying they wanted him?

Not to mention him having been training with Hawthorn for the last month?

Really. So they are the only people in the AFL world who missed the dozens of pages of discussion on him being linked to Hawthorn, as well as Hawthorn saying they wanted him?

Dude, we all know why the Bombers played it the way they did....Anyone who isn't blinded by Essendon goggles can see it.

Should have been on our list already, but you know.....Essendon gonna Essendon.

If a fringe player comes to us & says 'Guys I've been offered 2 years by another club' we say, 'We can't or won't be prepared to match that, so go with our blessing....Hello Kaiden Brand.....Because we aren't petty, bitter & vindictive.....Big thumbs up to Dodoro there.

You got your man in the end so don't know why Hawks fans need to whinge

Just another excuse for Hawk fans to take pot shots at Essendon.

You mean the ones that only came out after he left?
Dude, we all know why the Bombers played it the way they did....Anyone who isn't blinded by Essendon goggles can see it.
I love that you guys are still offended about this.

You got your man in the end so don't know why Hawks fans need to whinge. Just another excuse for Hawk fans to take pot shots at Essendon.

It's more a case of your club leaving itself open to such criticism, by the manner & way in which you treat your players....With abject disdain for their own choices.

Do tell. Why did Essendon make a formal offer to him?

Why not just ask him his thoughts during the end of year meeting?

At what point did Essendon actually believe he would accept the one year offer?

That’s not how it works. It’s to do with the list lodgements. There is no formal informal offers deciding whether or not a player is a DFA or not. Hawthorn made their offer after Essendon lodged its list changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't look all that mobile, will probably play on the bigger less agile key forwards only.

He's got a decent tank but isn't overly quick, good kick and plays OK on the big guys like Hawkins. As someone else said, kind of the opposite to Frost in his strengths / weaknesses.

Was a solid stopper in 2016 but hasn't really had a good run at it with Hurley / Hooker both ahead of him, along with Ambrose being a more versatile tall alongside those two.

Hope he gets a good run at it, seems a great character to have around the club.

I posted somewhere else what I thought his strengths and weaknesses were.

Strengths include
Brilliant kick.
Great spoiler.
Decent hands.

Weaknesses
Not quick so can be beaten on the lead alot.
Can get lost when play moves too quick.
When he is flustered he gets very grabby and he gives away frees.

I liked him as coverage for us but we had three guys who are better than him (Hooker, Hurley and Ambrose) and a fourth guy who is young and looks the goods (Zerk-Thatcher)

He moved for more security and with a young family who can blame him.

I will cheer for him if he plays against us.

He is behind Frawley and Frost I reckon.

Yeah I don't really get the digs at the Bombers here. Seems a pretty straightforward case of cold reality. Don't know much about him but obviously wish him well.

Awful lot of puff and filler on their website but this is worth a read:

Also has a habit of blindly punching the ball away. First touch is good but being effective and getting it to a team mate rather than an opposition crumber would be better.

He has a lot of fans at Essendon, some thought he might hold the backline with Hurley so Hooker could go forward.

Coaches disagreed though, aging Hooker back and a depleted forward line with Hooker swinging forward for a quarter here or there seems to have been the preferred option. Meanwhile Hartley was learning ruck craft in the VFL on the off-chance he can break into a different line in the AFL.

We’ll be pretty happy to see him get some senior opportunities, and it wasn’t going to happen for him at Essendon.

Yeah I don't really get the digs at the Bombers here. Seems a pretty straightforward case of cold reality. Don't know much about him but obviously wish him well.

Awful lot of puff and filler on their website but this is worth a read:

No problem at all with what he said. He is not a star player and he would not be on that much money by AFL standards. He knows he is earning good money compared to the average person though and he is trying to keep that going for as long as possible so he can setup his family financially. He is probably thinking he wants to have his mortgage fully paid off before the end of his AFL career and if he can do that his family will be comfortable. He looked at the numbers and saw Hawthorn were paying him a bit more and to the players on smaller contracts, who know they are not going to be stars and might not be in the game much longer that little extra money makes the world of difference.

In the end Hartley has realised he wasn't going to be given any sort of security at Essendon, with two all australian's in front of him, one of the best 1:1 defenders in the competition ahead of him and a young guy the Bombers are backing in (playing Brandon Zerk Thatcher ahead of Hartley in the preferred defensive slot) so made sense for Mick to move on.

Have to respect the guy who was honest in his reasoning, could have easily towed the club line ("..Ï wanted greater opportunity, the Hawks can offer me this..") but he was brutally honest by saying it was about money and how limited his career could be.

All the best Michael, you played some very good football for us at VFL level, a difficult task to break into our AFL backline so all the best at the Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back