Michael Hurley in tears as he recalls Court of Arbitration for Sport handed down guilty verdict

Remove this Banner Ad

Slats

All Australian
Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
BANNED Essendon defender Michael Hurley was reduced to tears when recounting the day he was suspended from playing this season.

The 26-year-old was one of 12 current Essendon players - including captain Jobe Watson - to be issued with a doping ban by the Court of Arbitration for Sport on January 12.

He broke down when asked to recall that day, and said he went in to shock and spoke to no-one.

“Yeah, I think I did (go into shock), especially straight after the verdict was handed down,” he said.

“I couldn’t believe it.

“(I spoke to) no-one really. I sort of sat there and cried a bit.”

Clearly emotional, a tearful Hurley was asked whether he had called his parents after the verdict was handed down.

“I didn’t really want to call mum and dad,” he told Channel 9, before stepping away from the interview.

He wouldn’t go as far as saying it was the worst day of his life, but described it as “a pretty bad day”.

“I think everyone has had some pretty tough times in their life,” Hurley said.

“That probably wasn’t the worst day of my life to be fair but it was a pretty bad day.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...t/news-story/6bea5ec7ce2632a8d618ebcbdb8455d7

Probably should be on the HTB...

But I do feel sorry for the Essendon 34, they put their faith in the club/Hird that they were doing the right thing and it's cost them a year of their career. They were strung along in all of this.

Perfectly understandable reaction. Players are a long time retired and to lose a season in the prime of your sporting life is gut wrenching, particularly under the circumstances these players found themselves in. Still, why didn't they question it? Why were they like sheep? It's all been said before with regards to blame, but these blokes simply didn't arc up when it was very clear things were not quite right with the program. Hurley has a new super deal which will help wipe away the tears for the next 5 years. It will be interesting to see what effect a year out of the game will have on them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were strung along in all of this.
- Didn't bother to mention all these injections to ASADA.
- Kept Reid out of the loop.
- If they were strung along, why are they staying instead of leaving and making a big storm about being used?

They knew full well what they were doing. It is stupid and naive to suggest otherwise.

- Didn't bother to mention all these injections to ASADA.
- Kept Reid out of the loop.
- If they were strung along, why are they staying instead of leaving and making a big storm about being used?

They knew full well what they were doing. It is stupid and naive to suggest otherwise.

Let it go man.

Rebecca playing him like a fool.

Was disrespectful trying to break him with her perfumed scorpion approach.

Suppose that's what keeps her in the industry.

Rebecca playing him like a fool.

Was disrespectful trying to break him with her perfumed scorpion approach.

Suppose that's what keeps her in the industry.

I said on the Essendon board earlier, all I heard from her when he started to look upset was a Mr. Burns "excellent".

I'm meant to be sympathetic to a convicted drug cheat? Maybe Michael should've raised the question about having all these suspicious secret injections in the back-room of an off-site facility. You know, during the dozen or so times that ASADA asked about them and every single one of these drug cheats flat-out lied?

Oh, silly me, forgetting the media narrative about how these cheats are completely innocent of all crimes! :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back