Recommitted Michael Hurley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes. Because all Essendon haters would be ecstatic about the club signing up one of the premier defenders in the competition. Where is the logic in this? You can say all you like about there being a spread etc, but how on earth is it good news for hates that we've signed up an elite defender?

Well i'm an Essendon hater and i've long stated that i want you to sign up ALL the returning players.

After all that's happened, this list aint going nowhere imo.

imo, if Hurley left, you could have turned an impressive rebuild into a very impressive rebuild.

In saying that, as i said earlier, keeping Hurley is good news for EFC fans because they want to go back to enjoying being competitive with the weight off their backs...starting asap.

I see EFC being around the 8 mark with Hurley and the others if all goes well but that's about it..

Well i'm an Essendon hater and i've long stated that i want you to sign up ALL the returning players.

imo, if Hurley left, you could have turned an impressive rebuild into a very impressive rebuild.

In saying that, as i said earlier, keeping Hurley is good news for EFC fans because they want to go back to enjoying a competitive with the weight off their backs...starting asap.

I see EFC being around the 8 mark with Hurley and the others if all goes well but that's about it..

you realise hurls isnt like 30 years old and has more than 2 years left in him?

In saying that, as i said earlier, keeping Hurley is good news for EFC fans because they want to go back to enjoying being competitive with the weight off their backs...starting asap.

Pick 12 and a 2nd rounder isn't going to take us anywhere, we would have had to accept a crap deal like the Ryder and Crameri ones

The list would be far worse off if Hurley left than if Hurley stayed.

Which is why I have no idea how any hater can see this as good news

It's just a bloke talking without a clue on what he's talking about.

Key defenders, especially of the quality that is hurley, don't grow on trees. No surprise everyone wanted him. Harts would be the happiest bloke out of all of this

Ok, i'll try to articulate it again.

imo it will leave EFC in no mans land on the ladder for a number of years without the depth of quality seniors to take you to the pointy end and without building the quantity of quality youth that was possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

imo it will leave EFC in no mans land on the ladder for a number of years without the depth of quality seniors to take you to the pointy end and without building the quantity of quality youth that was possible.

We could've got a trade and got high draft picks, such as pick 4 for example.

Cale Morton was pick 4.

My point being that draft picks are completely unpredictable and whilst for the most part can be generally accurate, they can be a complete lotto as well. You can't be sure until they are on your list and playing.

Whereas Hurley is a proven, all Australian defender with the pedigree to back up his reputation.

If signing Hurley up results in us being in no mans land as you say, then I don't want to imagine how we'd be if Hurley requested a trade.

Here Dapper Dan - never far away. I'm rapt he is staying, great outcome for football.

Obvioulsy pay him what he wanted, with the term he wanted and get on with it -

What are you going to do with your life now the only thread and topic you ever discuss has been resolved?

it doesn't make any sense though Tel. Pretty sure everyone agrees we wouldn't have gotten proper value for Hurley. So, if the choices are:
  • Getting less value than keeping Hurley, or
  • Keeping Hurley
Then it makes no sense to argue we would have been better off without Hurley. It's literally and demonstrably nonsensical.

I mean s**t, if you think a mid teens pick and a mid second round pick or some s**t, would be better than having Hurley in the side for the next 8 years then *, I don't know what to say

We could've got a trade and got high draft picks, such as pick 4 for example.

Cale Morton was pick 4.

My point being that draft picks are completely unpredictable and whilst for the most part can be generally accurate, they can be a complete lotto as well. You can't be sure until they are on your list and playing.

Whereas Hurley is a proven, all Australian defender with the pedigree to back up his reputation.

If signing Hurley up results in us being in no mans land as you say, then I don't want to imagine how we'd be if Hurley requested a trade.

Yeah look, i'm saying that i ackowledge that it is very hard to get to the pointy end of the ladder(you need bravery AND luck, no doubt) but it is quite easy to get to the comfy fat middle part of the ladder.

I acknowledge that keeping Hurley in light of what the supporters have been through lately was the correct move.

I just strongly think that 17 is now less of a chance in the next decade.

it doesn't make any sense though Tel. Pretty sure everyone agrees we wouldn't have gotten proper value for Hurley. So, if the choices are:
  • Getting less value than keeping Hurley, or
  • Keeping Hurley
Then it makes no sense to argue we would have been better off without Hurley. It's literally and demonstrably nonsensical.

I mean s**t, if you think a mid teens pick and a mid second round pick or some s**t, would be better than having Hurley in the side for the next 8 years then ****, I don't know what to say

I won't keep going on about in fear of boring the readers:)...but F me Lance, since when did you lose faith in Dodo? was it his work last year with Carlisle.

You would have done very well out of Hurley just like any club does out of topliners.

We're getting pick 1 this year, and already have highly-rated young talent in Merrett, Parish, Fantasia, Francis, Hartley, Tippa and Laverde (among others) to work with.

We're going fine thanks. Really not sure how re-signing an elite, 26-year-old KPD can be seen as anything but a good thing.

I won't keep going on about in fear of boring the readers:)...but F me Lance, since when did you lose faith in Dodo? was it his work last year with Carlisle.

You would have done very well out of Hurley just like any club does out of topliners.
we probably would have gotten something decent, but imo the chances of getting a player as good as Hurley with what we would have received would be about 1.5%. At most. And as for getting more picks, as you know, 2 Datsun's doesn't equal a Ferrari

We were never going to get full value for Hurley. I knew it. I said it. If he went, we were getting under's, just a matter of how bad. So on that basis, keeping Hurley can only be seen as a massive win.

Finals = nowhere?
8 may not be great, but when you have a look at the make up of our list:
Old - Baguley, Watson, Goddard, Hooker, Stanton
Mid age - Hurley, Zaka, Heppell, Berger, Hibberd, Myers,
Young - Merrett, Parish, Fantasia, Tippa, Daniher, Ambrose, Laverde, Langford, Francis, Gleeson, McCluggage/Brodie

Its 8th and on the way up when you think that guys like Stanton, Hocking, Myers, Howlett, Bird etc are senior AFL players who are going to have to fight for their spots.

half of our best 22 are under 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back