Past Michael Jamison

Remove this Banner Ad

I swear I saw his arm actually fall off one time. He picked it up, the trainer reattach it with electrical tape and he continued to play...

Unassuming, humble Carlton champion. It's no wonder he had such bad shoulders, he carried an entire backline under siege for years.

His body literally broken in the pursuit of stopping opposition forwards and goals. Had he played for Hawthorn or Geelong, he'd be regarded as one the best full backs of our generation.

Congratulations on an outstanding career Michael Jamison. The embodiment of what our club stands for...

MJ. A humble bloke who thanks everybody for his footy career. Now take a seat and listen to the accolades you truly deserve. An exceptional player who played against the gun forwards of the past decade. I loved it when you were fit and firing. A great contested mark with a step that got you out of trouble. You fooled a few forwards over the years with a subtle shimmy. It's sad to see you go in less than ideal circumstances but your announcement today displays plenty of class. I'll be there to acknowledge your contribution to the Carlton Footy Club.

I am pretty torn up about this and I don't know why. I didn't even feel this sad when Judd retired.

You have done the guernsey proud.
274039_a8291b6876612c09b2e863c7eb0d7544.gif

Couldn't agree with that post more.

So sad to see the blokes you get used to for so long to have to give it away. Unfortunately time waits for no one. Parko used to love the saying fill the pages of your glorious youth as the pages are quickly turned. You well and truly filled those pages Jamo and you could not ask for a better role model at a club.

All the best wishes in retirement and for whatever the future holds. Thanks for all you contributed to this great club throughout your career!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am pretty torn up about this and I don't know why. I didn't even feel this sad when Judd retired.
Felt this a bit myself.

Hard to explain properly, but I think the fact he came from relatively humble beginnings (rookie) during some very trying times for us and immediately had such impact as an extremely dour defender who had to help hold up an entire backline that was more often than not under heavy siege, all contributes a bit. Great servant to the club but we also know a ripping guy off the field too.

I remember his first game against the pies and knew he would become a solid defender for us (actually almost kicked a goal in his first game)
I hope JGM becomes half the defender you were coming off the rookie list Jamo. Wish he had a send off game too

Felt this a bit myself.

Hard to explain properly, but I think the fact he came from relatively humble beginnings (rookie) during some very trying times for us and immediately had such impact as an extremely dour defender who had to help hold up an entire backline that was more often than not under heavy siege, all contributes a bit. Great servant to the club but we also know a ripping guy off the field too.

yeah. It's mostly due to the player/person that Jamo was but guys like Walker and Jamo represent the 'dark days' of the club. Have huge respect for them because they gave their all in a team that got humiliated week in week out. Now that we only have Simmo, Murph, and Gibbs left of the 'pre-Judd' era it's a bit of a reminder of where we were and how far we have yet to go.

I hope that when the day comes (and it'll come) when we win #17 that we spare a thought for players like Jamison

All my childhood heroes are retiring :'(
Criminally underrated fullback! those shoulders kept together by tape and glue held our defence together. Tried to model my own footy game around the way you played. I'll have to have a glass of Jameson for you. Thanks for the memories Jamo :thumbsu:

This one hurts so much.

Jamo was one of the first players I remember watching, when I fully understood football.

Throughout his whole career, he embodied what I first thought to be a bluebagger. Not necessarily the most skilled footballer but he'd run through walls for the guernsey and his teammates.

Watching him run with countless star forwards (in a thankless job - the defender), he always performed admirably, if not terrifically most games. He was our general down back as the club was just getting back to it's feet.

To me, he's our best rookie draft acquisition, which says something. But that's where he's rated for me.

So long Jamo, it's been an absolute pleasure! The club will be poorer for not having you in it.

Thank you Jamo and all the best for the future! :cry:

Jammo_600x200_a-message.jpg

Dear Carlton members and supporters,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you to announce my retirement from AFL football, effective immediately.

In recent times, I have found it increasingly hard to prepare, both physically and mentally, for the rigours of the sport. Being a representative of our football club demands an individual give nothing short of 100 per cent, and I’ve come to the realisation that I can no longer sustain the intensity required to play AFL.

When you’re in among the day-to-day routine of training, preparing and playing, it’s often difficult to step away and reflect upon all that has happened, but, since I made the decision to retire, I’ve had a chance to recall some of my achievements over my 10-year journey at the Blues. Experiences like going from a rookie-listed player to captaining the team on occasions and my tenure as vice-captain seem surreal, and I thank the Club for allowing me to represent it in those prestigious positions. Life Membership is something that I’m particularly proud of, and I know that inextricable link to the Carlton Football Club is only going to mean more and more as the years pass by.

I’ve been blessed to work with some incredible people who have each had an influence in shaping me into the man I am today. To the men who have served as senior coach throughout my career, Denis Pagan, Brett Ratten, Mick Malthouse, John Barker and Brendon Bolton, I thank you for everything you did for me.

To those assistant coaches that I’ve worked closely with over the years, in particular Gavin Crosisca, Brent Montgomery, Gavin Brown, Rob Wiley and Dale Amos, I thank you for investing the time and effort you have in me. We’ve shared some incredible memories together, and I can’t thank you enough for the support and guidance you have provided.

To the players I’ve run out with, thank you for your unwavering friendship. To know that I have people I can count on long after footy means the world to me. I’d especially like to thank the band of brothers who have lined up in defence with me throughout the years.

To my fiancée Georgie and my family, Jim, Sue, James, Will and Lucia, thank you for always believing in me. You’ve had to endure all of the ups and downs throughout the years, but your patience and unwavering support has kept me going. I couldn’t have done it without you. Thanks also to my manager, Nigel Carmody.

I’m going to miss footy. Knowing I’ll never don the navy blue guernsey again is difficult to process, but I leave with a decade’s worth of memories that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. The thrill of running out onto the MCG in front of 95,000 people is a rush that I know I’ll never be able to replicate, while the feeling after a win, being surrounded by family, teammates and support staff is something that I’ll look back upon fondly and, to a certain extent, wistfully.

The support the Carlton family continues to conjure week after week, year after year, is a true testament to you all. The boys appreciate it so much and, personally, it’s something I’ll never forget. I thank you for all the support and kindness you’ve shown me and I can’t wait to sit with you in the years to come and cheer on future generations of Carlton players.

I hope that I’ve been able to do the guernsey proud.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Jamison

Jammo_600x200_signature.jpg

CFCgreyFooter.jpg
image.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back