News Michael Johnson - Charged with assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for this.
So we can use the term "took the phone" and at most "allegedly stole the phone", but "stole the phone" is definitely wrong.
Yep. I'm not offering an opinion on whether any party was in the right or wrong in this case. Just amused at the poster's adoption of an incorrect stance then defend it to the death.

Very typical of Pokers, and why he and Bushie got on so well :)

I'm sorry, but I you are posting nonsense as if you are an authority on law and I'm afraid you are not. I have been to court and tried to charge someone who had taken thousands of dollars of my company's property and the case was unsuccessful because I could not prove that they did not intend to return said property.

This from a simple google of Australian theft law:

How is stealing defined in the law?

Basically, stealing is taking something that belongs to someone else, and keeping it without the intention of returning the item. Remember, stealing is a conscious effort to permanently deprive someone of their property.

So, if Mrs Johnson fully intended to return the phone there was never a theft committed.

For this reason special laws were enacted around motor vehicles to make the interpretation of motor vehicle theft much more stringent.
Was it an employee or just some random?

Yep. I'm not offering an opinion on whether any party was in the right or wrong in this case. Just amused at the poster's adoption of an incorrect stance then defend it to the death.

How was the teacher to know she intended to give it back? He is still within his rights to stop her walking off with it. FWIW if she actually deleted the video (which was her intention) then that would be theft or destruction of property. So again, he's entitled to use reasonable force to protect his property, which is what occurred.

Alright, I'll have my say. Johnno is a very silly boy. Senior players know not to get in such predicaments. Still happy he decked that slimy, turdbag teacher though.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I would argue with the "very".

I'm joking. Sheesh.

Was it an employee or just some random?
It was a whole bunch of randoms. Specifically small bakers who saved themselves a bit of money by "borrowing" bread crates from the larger bakeries. Cost the big three bakeries $1.5m in one year. Police encouraged us to press charges, ee lost on the basis they always intended to return the crates - eventually.

I know there is a lot of subtlety around interpretation of law, which is why I responded to the "theft is theft" argument.

How was the teacher to know she intended to give it back? He is still within his rights to stop her walking off with it. FWIW if she actually deleted the video (which was her intention) then that would be theft or destruction of property. So again, he's entitled to use reasonable force to protect his property, which is what occurred.
The police aren't our parents. They would have zero interest in these petty dealings.

"She deweted my foto mr officer :'("
"Ummmm... does the thing still work? Righto. Please explain the destruction of property"

Could stretch for loss of income as video could be sold to channel 7 for revenue. However, since no existing contract was in place - would be a huge stretch.

The police aren't our parents. They would have zero interest in these petty dealings.

"She deweted my foto mr officer :'("
"Ummmm... does the thing still work? Righto. Please explain the destruction of property"

Could stretch for loss of income as video could be sold to channel 7 for revenue. However, since no existing contract was in place - would be a huge stretch.

The police don't deal with such things anyway - courts do. The point is that it's not assault to lay a hand on someone if you are doing so in an attempt to prevent them taking or destroying your property. Many here are claiming that the teacher's act of even touching Mrs Johnson constitutes assault. I am explaining why it doesn't.

Do you get your brick supply from people you encounter bashing their heads against a brick wall?

The police don't deal with such things anyway - courts do. The point is that it's not assault to lay a hand on someone if you are doing so in an attempt to prevent them taking or destroying your property. Many here are claiming that the teacher's act of even touching Mrs Johnson constitutes assault. I am explaining why it doesn't.
Defo not assault.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Reminds me of me when I'm drunk - I'll debate anyone on anything. The less I know, the better I think my arguments are. Usually by the end of it, I've switched sides and claimed a moral victory. Eventually the other side just gives up and I take their silence as acceptance of defeat. Therefore it's very important to have the last word :drunk:

Do you ever contribute anything to this forum except idiotic trolling?
Yes. Didn't your mother ever tell you not to answer a question with a question?

Personally, I think the idiotic trolling is coming from you. It would be difficult to find a more definitive example of what George Carlin was talking about when he said “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Sylvia was a nice white citizen though.
So you think it's ok to.commit such an offense if you are white? I don't think anyone would agree with that, sarcastic or not. Racism will continue for as long as we label our fellow humans.
A heinous act is just that. No excuses can be made from a person's skin color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back