News Michael Johnson - Charged with assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont know about you guys but the last thing I would do or think about is taking a photo of someone after he dropped his dacks, sums up the young generation of today.

Nah. Plenty of younger people think the same as you (and me).

Just sums up the guy who took the photo.

3am at a kebab shop. Doubt if anyone was thinking straight.

Back in the days when mobile phones weren't around, if you had a camera and started filming someone without their consent, especially at a kebab shop at 3am, you would expect a backlash. Add to that these guys were chasing after Jonno's missus, and you have the perfect storm.

As has been said, nothing good happens when a confrontation occurs that time in the morning.

MJ was behaving like a dickhead ( which he freely admits )

The school teacher was equally to blame, he might have an extra 3k in the bank but he will be remembered as the tool who got sat on his arse

Back in the days when mobile phones weren't around, if you had a camera and started filming someone without their consent, especially at a kebab shop at 3am, you would expect a backlash. Add to that these guys were chasing after Jonno's missus, and you have the perfect storm.

They were chasing after her because she stole their mobile phone.

Good on her, she was protecting her husband and he did likewise

I would've reacted the same way

Then you'd also be charged with assault.

It's a pretty simple discussion here:

1- it's legal to film or photograph people in public
2- it's not legal to steal their phone if they do so
3- people are allowed to use reasonable force to get their property back if someone steals it
4- Johnson's punch was a unreasonable response to the guy grabbing his wife's arm

If you can't see why the fault is 100% with the Johnsons in this case then you're just too biased to take part in the discussion. Hence why Johnson now has an assault conviction and the other guy was not charged with anything and nothing will happen to him because he did nothing wrong.

A lot of people here seem to be under the mistaken impression that you a "right" not to be filmed in a public place, but you don't. Anyone is free to take photographs or film of anyone they want in public, with a few exceptions for anti-terrorism reasons and such. The restaurant had security cameras installed, would you defend Johnson's wife if she confiscated them too?

If having your photograph taken offends you, stay home. You can't go around punching people for taking photographs.

Last edited:
And if you can't see it's not 100% Jono's fault then you are biased

But I wont say you are not allowed to discuss it , because I'm not a pretencious wanka

I hope for your wife's sake an aggressive drunk doesn't accost her, I can only imagione your feeble response

Why make stuff up to suit your biases? The guy wasn't an aggressive drunk accosting Johnsons wife. She stole his phone and walked off, he chased after her to get it back. The aggressive drunk in this situation was Johnson's wife.

I do agree that Johnson was a bit unfortunate in this case since he probably didn't see what happened before he saw the guy grabbing his wife's arm. But his response to it was still disproportionate which is why he got convicted. If he had just shoved him rather than punched him he probably would have not been charged.

The lesson here for Johnson is that it's not a good idea to punch first and ask questions later.

Last edited:
Why make stuff up to suit your biases? The guy wasn't an aggressive drunk accosting Johnsons wife. She stole his phone and walked off, he chased after her to get it back. The aggressive drunk in this situation was Johnson's wife.

I do agree that Johnson was a bit unfortunate in this case since he probably didn't see what happened before he saw the guy grabbing his wife's arm. But his response to it was still disproportionate which is why he got convicted. If he had just shoved him rather than punched him he probably would have not been charged.

The lesson here for Johnson is that it's not a good idea to punch first and ask questions later.
Fortunately the complainant was a WCE supporter looking for some media bucks so no harm done. The irony here is that the kebab wasn’t as cooked as MJ.

A few pages ago I'd given up on this board, but seeing wardy be the bastion of common sense and educating the plebs, has restored my faith.

Some of the MJ apologists need to take a good look in the mirror.

Hence why Johnson now has an assault conviction
No he doesn't. He can legally state that he has never been convicted of assault.

And just because you have a "right" to do something, doesn't mean you should.

Johno was a moron and got named and shamed and his wallet is $3k lighter, but filming semi-clad people at 3 in the morning (while legal) is morally dubious and it is reasonable to expect that it will lead to sparking an incident.

The law does allow for the circumstance.

If Johno had just king hit a stranger at 3pm on main street for no reason, the judges outcome would have been different - irrespective of the working with children bit listed by the judge as a reason to go soft with penalties.

Belting someone who was manhandling his wife was seen in this case as an over the top response and findings made accordingly but relatively acceptable. Johno was unaware of his wife flogging the phone - made the same action to what he saw regardless of her flogging the phone or not - if she hadn't flogged the phone I bet that the judge would have found in favour of Johno as a defensive act. In flogging the phone, the teacher had some rights to attempt to retrieve it, without that he had no rights to be laying a hand on her.

The difference in the finding is not in Johno's reaction, but in his wifes actions of which he was unaware of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Jonno's legal team ran dead on this one, or tanked if you prefer. If he had been represented by someone like Tom Percy the teacher would likely have received a term in a correctional centre and Jonno would have received the benefit of a reasonable sum of punitive damages.

A few pages ago I'd given up on this board, but seeing wardy be the bastion of common sense and educating the plebs, has restored my faith.

Some of the MJ apologists need to take a good look in the mirror.

You would drive yourself nuts trying to find moral or intellectual consistency on our board. And that's consistency from all posters, including me and you. It's not worth it.

Johno was a moron and got named and shamed and his wallet is $3k lighter, but filming semi-clad people at 3 in the morning (while legal) is morally dubious and it is reasonable to expect that it will lead to sparking an incident.

Oh Lordy.

If you don't want to be photographed with your pants around your ankles at 3am, in a public shop then DON'T BE OUT AT 3AM WITH YOUR PANTS ARPUND YOUR ANKLES!

That goes double for anyone who has a job that gives them a high profile.

Triple for someone with 3 kids at home.

If he is happy to put himself in a compromising position then he should wear the consequences. It could have been as simple as apologising for being an idiot. He (and his wife) allowed it to escalate to the point of punching a bloke.

The fact that he is a flog doesn't come into it.

Oh Lordy.

If you don't want to be photographed with your pants around your ankles at 3am, in a public shop then DON'T BE OUT AT 3AM WITH YOUR PANTS ARPUND YOUR ANKLES!

If he is happy to put himself in a compromising position then he should wear the consequences. It could have been as simple as apologising for being an idiot. He (and his wife) allowed it to escalate to the point of punching a bloke.

So any women in the kebab shop at 3am flashing a bit of cleavage deserve to have lairy school teachers take photos of their ****?

Your moral compass needs adjustment.

So any women in the kebab shop at 3am flashing a bit of cleavage deserve to have lairy school teachers take photos of their ****?

My understanding from this is that if a female at 3am flashes her ****, you're allowed to take photos - just not distribute them. Doubly so if she's wearing a premiership medal

Oh Lordy.

Yep - or the flog could have just deleted the photo as asked and she wouldn’t have grabbed his phone. He’s just as responsible for the escalation.

MJ just dished out some delicious Doner-argue Kebabs of justice to the flog harassing his wife.

There is a significant difference between taking a photo of someone undressing themselves inappropriately in public acting like a fool and taking a photo of someones cleavage.

You missed my main point that as a high profile AFL player he should not be putting himself in a position like this. It is always going to end badly for an AFL Footballer at 3am with his pants around his ankles in a public place.

There is a significant difference between taking a photo of someone undressing themselves inappropriately in public acting like a fool and taking a photo of someones cleavage.

You missed my main point that as a high profile AFL player he should not be putting himself in a position like this. It is always going to end badly for an AFL Footballer at 3am with his pants around his ankles in a public place.

But if it's some commoner it's kinda ok?

Double standards

Imagine how boring the planet will be if the holier than thou religious brigade ever manage to get total control. Corey Bernadi for prime minister, what a **cking horrible thought.:p

Agree but didn't realise Bernardi was religious. What's his religion?

Just had the church brigade clean up at our local council elections!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back