News Michael Johnson - Charged with assault

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would submit m'lud, that as there is no evidence that Mrs Johnson intended to permanently deprive the miserable wretch before you(the plaintiff), of possession or use of said phone, she ipso facto did not steal the bloody thing. My case rests.

Imagine how boring the planet will be if the holier than thou religious brigade ever manage to get total control. Corey Bernadi for prime minister, what a **cking horrible thought.:p

What might you be Salim?
I don't necessarily agree with Bernardi on many things nor others with no religious sentiment on some things but I know that if this country did not have a religious base to its values and formation as a nation we would not be the country we are today enjoying peace and freedom.

Sure, we as a country/nation have a long way to go and people and organisations within can do bad and good, the goal surely is to be better in doing the good.

I happen to agree with our constitution on religious freedom. But our democracy very much guided by popular opinion, and politicians and parties responding to gain that popularity, determines the will of the people (usually by majority) and governance according to that constitution.

The danger can be with a populous that is not fully informed, is prone to emotive and feeling judgements about life and living, or becomes folly to no longer valueing history and philosophy as essential critera to guide it in making decisions and choices going forward.

As a child of 6yo, the experience of walking past a neighbouring school and being sworn at and spat upon because I was sent to a religious school has stuck in my mind and often brings me to contemplate the treatment of the Jews and others. What and who people can become negatively, and then pass on to their children re attitudes and behaviours, can be so destructive to society and take many years to correct, as Im sure you know.

It is correct to be wary of a person adopting an extremist/fundamentalist approach to religion. This is not the fault of the religion or its core values but the pschological approach whereby a person turns the religion into their own subjectivity rather than the objectively given core values changing them to be better persons. People often will grab statements (use then literally) and or change their context and meaning to support their thinking.

Even Big Footy, Football Clubs, the AFL are vulnerable to this phemonena as indeed everyone is. Hopefully people always try to find what is good and right, as best they can in how they understand that, and in living it with others together.

Love you all. :thumbsu:

Keep your bloody pants up next time Johnno, and go to Church :D

What might you be Salim?
I don't necessarily agree with Bernardi on many things nor others with no religious sentiment on some things but I know that if this country did not have a religious base to its values and formation as a nation we would not be the country we are today enjoying peace and freedom.

Sure, we as a country/nation have a long way to go and people and organisations within can do bad and good, the goal surely is to be better in doing the good.

I happen to agree with our constitution on religious freedom. But our democracy very much guided by popular opinion, and politicians and parties responding to gain that popularity, determines the will of the people (usually by majority) and governance according to that constitution.

The danger can be with a populous that is not fully informed, is prone to emotive and feeling judgements about life and living, or becomes folly to no longer valueing history and philosophy as essential critera to guide it in making decisions and choices going forward.

As a child of 6yo, the experience of walking past a neighbouring school and being sworn at and spat upon because I was sent to a religious school has stuck in my mind and often brings me to contemplate the treatment of the Jews and others. What and who people can become negatively, and then pass on to their children re attitudes and behaviours, can be so destructive to society and take many years to correct, as Im sure you know.

It is correct to be wary of a person adopting an extremist/fundamentalist approach to religion. This is not the fault of the religion or its core values but the pschological approach whereby a person turns the religion into their own subjectivity rather than the objectively given core values changing them to be better persons. People often will grab statements (use then literally) and or change their context and meaning to support their thinking.

Even Big Footy, Football Clubs, the AFL are vulnerable to this phemonena as indeed everyone is. Hopefully people always try to find what is good and right, as best they can in how they understand that, and in living it with others together.

Love you all. :thumbsu:

Keep your bloody pants up next time Johnno, and go to Church :D

Religion zealots are a blight on humanity. Most of the planets conflicts have had religious overtones. The inquisitions for example. I dont need a God a minister or priest to tell me the right and proper way to live my life or spend my Sundays. The greatest spin ever imposed on humanity is a Heaven and a Hell. The holier than thou attitude on here to a very minor slip of judgement by Johnson is sickening. Didnt the son of the so called God say who is with out sin throw the first stone.

Last edited:
The gulags in Soviet Russia weren't run by religious zealots, nor were the Nazi camps operated under a cross. Orthodox Christians and Jews were the majority of victims. Zealotry and extremism is not limited to people of faith. As noted above, democracy, while imperfect, is our best protection.

The gulags in Soviet Russia weren't run by religious zealots, nor were the Nazi camps operated under a cross. Orthodox Christians and Jews were the majority of victims. Zealotry and extremism is not limited to people of faith. As noted above, democracy, while imperfect, is our best protection.

Democracy has nothing to do with religion . Religion is fear based , follow or its hell and damnation.

Having pants down at 3am is like driving pass red light or speeding, If you don't get caught or knock somebody is fine .

Last edited:
. Didnt the son of the so called God say who is with out sin throw the first stone.

Probably when he was pissed at 3am in a middle eastern kebab shop, too.
2000 years later and we are none the wiser.
If the bible said "hold the garlic sauce on your late night kebab, or you shall awake regretful " it would have changed more lives for the better.

Democracy has nothing to do with religion . Religion is fear based , follow or its hell and damnation.

I think that's a little trite, with respect. Organised faith is a little more complicated. The point about democracy is that it offers an avenue for addressing different views, including the scope of our laws.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Religion does not equal faith, unfortunately.

(Organised) religion involves bigotry, lies, hypocrisy and a fair bit of hatred.
If you are not convinced of that check out the No campaign for gay marriage.
If you are in Communist or Muslim country you don't had the right to vote yes or no for gay marriage . Whether you are religion or not .

If you are in Communist or Muslim country you don't had the right to vote yes or no for gay marriage . Whether you are religion or not .

What’s that got to do with the conversation?
If it was down to Barnardi and Abbott, there still wouldn’t be a right to vote for or against gay marriage.
Are you equating Tony Abbott with Stalin or the Ayatollah?

What’s that got to do with the conversation?
If it was down to Barnardi and Abbott, there still wouldn’t be a right to vote for or against gay marriage.
Are you equating Tony Abbott with Stalin or the Ayatollah?
All I am saying is bigotry, lies, hypocrisy and a fair bit of hatred also involve in non religion group too. Human are born to make mistake whether we like it or not.

Last edited:
and according to every religion on the planet...everyone else is wrong and going to hell. It's going to be crowded.
Nah in Buddhism, your next life could change to dog,cat,pig ,monkey etc ,recycle to lesser quality .
Not sure how it can become same sex though .

I have some great friends who are priests, ministers etc. They use faith to bring people together to heal and to help others. They don't use it as a basis to discriminate or judge. Not all people with the same religious beliefs share the same set of morals and ethics - they are not one and the same thing.

The problem I have with the institutes that are the Catholic, Anglican and various other churches is with their lack of accountability over atrocities they have been responsible for throughout history. This almost immunity to prosecution on the basis they are religious organisations has to end. And to achieve this our constructs of society (government, education, health, welfare etc) must be completely separated from any one religion or belief system. Our legislative processes and choices as a country should not be influenced (or corrupted) by key leaders of a handful of religions, they should be a product of Australia's diverse society and the Australian people in all it's various shapes and sizes.

There is certainly a role for faith in society and for organised religion but I think it's time their constituents stopped blindly following and questioned whether their leaders are indeed as morally and ethically superior as they claim to be. If they don't then the government should be within its rights to take away some of their privileges - there are plenty of non-religious organisations doing far more amazing things helping people.

Understand where your coming from, very much. But just to challenge your thoughts there on a few points;

Democracy is founded on a system of values that in the Ancient Greek became the equivelent of the "sought and practised values for societal living".

Later the Greek translation to latin would be "religare" (later translated "religion" in english) and meant "to bind" with "the virtues".

Societies around the world whether Eastern, Middle Eastern, and very much modern societies and organisations in the Western world, all move toward sustaining old, forming new, or destroying and seeking to replace value systems underpinned by a primary source. The virtues determined are those the
the power behind them seeks to make binding.

For anyone who noticed this year, certain people in the AFL basically stated as much concerning what they the AFL represent to the whole of Australian society as a moral compass (i think later they regretted).

Unbelief and so called anti religion can become a religion in themselves (in the context of the above definition) when a group of people or powers pronounce it as the new norm for society, that is the values for society to live together are in adhering to the proposition they forward while advocating the elimination of any other previous religion.

So democracy has a heck of a lot to do with religion if you know your stuff, but where religion has no right to disrespect human dignity nor impose with force or coercion over the freedom of humans in choosing (civil and religious liberty). It is also evil by anyone's definition to use emotional blackmail/threat to persuade people toward choice (especially children) for this is neither respect for human freedom or personal dignity.

Some will hold different viewpoints, contexts and definitions to my studied background, thats okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back