Injury Michael Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed this guy has been one of our greatest servants and has been a top player for many years.
He deserves more respect than what some are giving him on this thread.

When de Boer, Hannath, C Pearce, D Pearce, Mayne, Mzungu are all out of contract we simply don't need to push him out to make list space. He still is a good option when fit and by all reports a good role model.

Dawson turned 30 in Feb this year...

Just how long do you think he will last?

He's the kind of player who even a slight slowdown will render him ineffective. It's ultra athletic or nothing with him. He hasn't got the skills or talent to fall back on.

Collins is still a speculative, late 3rd round pick who was overlooked in the AFL draft for many years. He's hardly a lock in replacement KPD. That's what we've done: we haven't invested our higher draft picks on better rated KPPs, instead we've tried to pull a rabbit out of the hat with throw-away late round picks. And it hasn't worked.

I hope it works out with Collins but the statistics are not on his side.

As someone else has mentioned around here: we've got a 'best available' drafting model and that nearly always means we draft midfielders/flaky half forwards, because they are nearly always the players who look the best at drafting age. Maybe this model needs a looking at. We just don't have the guts , flexibility or inclination to pull the trigger on a Franklin over a flashy midfielder, who looks good, but it perhaps not what we need atm.

This draft where we'll likely have a high draft pick will be very, very interesting indeed.
We really only need Dawson to be around next year for Pearce and Collins to have enough time.

Outside the top 10 there are very few KPPs who succeed so you are quite right Collins is speculative. As will anyone else we draft. Johnson and Dawson were both speculative, and for that matter so was Polak and Drum, both top 10 duds.

Overall I am pretty happy with who the club has drafted with early picks over in recent years. Also generally happy with a philosophy of trading for established KPPs. And unlikeyou, I am very happy we did not recruit Franklin, Clark or Cloke by continually upping the bid, and certainly don't see it as a lack of guts. In fact, possibly the opposite..

why would we keep someone on the list who has been injured for the past 2 years with a history of chronic hamstrings. good player but we need the place on the list.

Because i can put 10-12 names on the list before I even get to his name...how do we need his spot on the list this year

How sure are you that he won't be coming back later this year? Have they already announced that he is done for the season?

Reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. Medial ligament and hamstring would about 4 to 6 weeks??

I just hope they change his role when he comes back to be more the floating defender type not defensive 1st or 2nd KPD.

But I though C.Pearce and co is all first team material all this year. Putting another extra ruck won't be much.
Melma if Johnson's out for that long... Does that mean we can upgrade a rookie? Who would you choose? In tempted for ubergang but we can up grade him at the end of the season after a huge clean out. Given recent form. I choose Tanner Smith

Sadly it's becoming all too clear that this will be MJ's last year, just hope he can get back and play some good footy before the season is out. Injuries have just been piling up one after the other for the poor guy over the last few years. today is not a good day
Johnson is signed with us until 2017

Reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated. Medial ligament and hamstring would about 4 to 6 weeks??

I just hope they change his role when he comes back to be more the floating defender type not defensive 1st or 2nd KPD.

Jonno has undergone surgery and will be out for at least 10-12 wks.
What's the point of him playing in 2016 again?

Melma if Johnson's out for that long... Does that mean we can upgrade a rookie? Who would you choose? In tempted for ubergang but we can up grade him at the end of the season after a huge clean out. Given recent form. I choose Tanner Smith
Same Smith the upgrade,as for uebergang need to build stamina, and body strength something Jeremy McGovern do when he first draft . as much as I like uber he need to be more vocal, maybe coming from different league only meeting non freo peel player on match day also the cause.

Last edited:
A team can upgrade a rookie if a senior listed player is placed on the "Long Term Injury List", placing someone on that list requires that they sit out of all football for at least eight weeks. So effectively, any injury with a recovery time longer than 8 weeks gives you an upgraded rookie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A team can upgrade a rookie if a senior listed player is placed on the "Long Term Injury List", placing someone on that list requires that they sit out of all football for at least eight weeks. So effectively, any injury with a recovery time longer than 8 weeks gives you an upgraded rookie.
Thanks Taylor. Do you know what happen to our extra spot in the list?

Last edited:
why would we keep someone on the list who has been injured for the past 2 years with a history of chronic hamstrings. good player but we need the place on the list.

I agree .I think he will be delisted when his contract finishes. I think he would make a good defensive coach from what I have observed.

He can have his load eased.

We need the others gone first

Exactly. Given a decent recovery time, he can definitely get over his problems.

I'm hoping that Hughes can fill the breach in defence along with Tucker while he's away so that when he returns he goes forward. He would be a massive upgrade on Tabs up there.

Just reading thru the posts and no one has mentioned how he actually injured himself. I recall reading somewhere he did it late in the game while kicking the footy? If this is true then objectively speaking his body has had it. No one should tear a hamstring tendon and do a MCL at the same time from just kicking a ball.

Running through the guts on the diagonal and delivered a great 40 m pass which Tabs marked and goaled from;Johno crumpled immediately.
"No one should.."....we don't deal in hypotheticals:D

Thanks Taylor. Do you know what happen to our extra spot in the list?
We didn't use it by the cut-off date before the season started so we've lost it. We need to put players on the LTI list to upgrade anyone. And then mid-season-ish we get another free chance to upgrade a rookie. We could put both Fyfe & Balic on the LTI list so two upgrades, probably Smith & Mora

Upgrade Mora because in another 2 games he will be ready to play AFL level and deserves the upgrade more than Tanner. Ubergang would be the last cab off the rank for an upgrade

Upgrade Mora because in another 2 games he will be ready to play AFL level and deserves the upgrade more than Tanner. Ubergang would be the last cab off the rank for an upgrade
Can't agree more regarding uebergang he is the worst player freo ever recruit yet I like him just like UFO loyalty to hannath.

Is ubergang that bad or is he just underdeveloped?
He is normally a good kick , but I don't think freo is the right place for his future development, so far apart from pav who is high draft pick , Johnson ,macca not count come from hawthorn , who we actually develop into good KPF or KPD . basically if Ben brown come to us he is either delisted or still playing in WAfl same as Mitch McGovern.

He is normally a good kick , but I don't think freo is the right place for his future development, so far apart from pav who is high draft pick , Johnson ,macca not count come from hawthorn , who we actually develop into good KPF or KPD . basically if Ben brown come to us basically he is either delisted or still playing in WAfl same as Mitch McGovern.
You said he was a good kick. Good kick meaning an excellent passer by foot or a decent set shot at goal or a bit of both overall? I hope he gets some games. If he plays 20-40 games and doesn't come good we could trade him to the Queensland clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back