Michael Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo make the 8? I'm in.
Yup self comfort , freo not supposed to make the 8 , look mj injures in final series , freo miss his class , the younger player just not enough experience or class to replace him. I think a.pearce grow under his leadership ? What about other youngie player.

I not saying dont play MJ , manage him , dont expect much from him . No harm to prepare early for somebody to step in if he is not available because of injuries. Yes he is class player , sam mitchell is class and snipper yet hawthorn let him go .

It depends. If Ross wants Freo to genuinely aim for finals then yes he should play. The guy at his best is our best KB.

If he wants Freo to move up the ladder slowly and rebuild the list properly then he should retire.
Depends how you view best KB. If your talking reading the play, kicking and distributing then yes. If your talking best 1v1, then no.
Overall however you would be right and he is such an important asset in moving the ball into the midfield/wings from defensive 50 that it was a big factor in our fall last year. I hope they have a plan for someone to supplant him in that role (think it should be Mundy).

I not saying dont play MJ , manage him , dont expect much from him . No harm to prepare early for somebody to step in if he is not available because of injuries. Yes he is class player , sam mitchell is class and snipper yet hawthorn let him go .

O'Meara has been recruited to replace Mitchell. Where's the equivalent quality to replace Johnson?

O'Meara has been recruited to replace Mitchell. Where's the equivalent quality to replace Johnson?
They are taking a risk , nobody yet know how well yet hawthorn do next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you in the camp that says Johnson should be dropped?
Not dropped manage, you always need to plan ahead who replace him if injuries strike , especially he is such a class act. A young johnson been shift around forward and defence before ross came in , surely he replace mcphee or somebody else during this process

I think MJ should play the home pages and 1-2 away games depending on the opponents. If we have a decent W-L midway through the season you would definitely think about easing him through the back half for finals.
agree with this idea.

Sorry meima I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that was a good thing?
Not a good thing , eventually some young player need to step in even they dont have johnson skill yet. No more excuses like bulldog take 5 years to win a flag and their list is good. If thats is the case ,Then freo should plan more in the area of youth development and delay expection of winning a flag in five years time. You need to give quality to get quality but You can also can go to the parth of getting quantity ( rookie list) and might end up with a few rough diamonds in the process that turn out to be just as good.

Last edited:
Depends how you view best KB. If your talking reading the play, kicking and distributing then yes. If your talking best 1v1, then no.
Overall however you would be right and he is such an important asset in moving the ball into the midfield/wings from defensive 50 that it was a big factor in our fall last year. I hope they have a plan for someone to supplant him in that role (think it should be Mundy).

Yes I was referring to rebounding defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Back