Play Nice Michael Jordan vs LeBron James

Remove this Banner Ad

212020381_4902237183138100_49825935871809322_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KD was insane in the Bucks vs Nets series. His return from achilles to arguably the best player in the NBA is incredibly impressive.

He played amazing as I said but got about 3 points more p game with lesser d.

Giannis was carrying calf and elbow issues too iirc that series. Was also very sick apparently the night before game 6 v suns ... (Flu not knee)

Imho Giannis kd 1/2 maybe kawhi or ad next in line

Jordan to me I think ppl fell in love with the nba due to Michael Jordan back in late 80s or early 1990s I think that was the period u saw ppl wearing bulls jackets etc

This is a good point. Nike, Gatorade, McDonalds, Wheaties, Hanes, Coke, and countless others had Jordan in their ads. Nintendo had a game with him on the cover before the days of EA Sports. Michael Jordan came along at a time when the NBA was in danger of falling into niche sport territory. Some teams were getting out drawn by the NHL and even indoor soccer teams in the MISL. He was the best player in the game at the time, he was certainly marketable-- charismatic, well-educated, and playing in what was the country's #2 media market in 1985. Michael Jordan was everywhere in the 80s and 90s.

LeBron came in during an area where the NBA didn't need that quite as much-- it was clearly cemented as the #3 sport in the US and growing worldwide quite well for a decade or two. The NBA Playoffs had become must-see TV, while the NHL was only popular in traditional markets and the MISL had completely died off. He was in a market that no one cared about nationally (#16 in 2005 and falling). He wasn't that charismatic, media-savvy, born-product-pitcher. LeBron James was THE name on the court from 2005 onward, but had no other presence.

And frankly, I think that can lead to a lot of pro-Jordan bias. He came when the NBA needed an identity. For the last two decades, it has had several; LeBron hasn't had to be that guy.

If you are going on cultural impact then Jordan, Bird, Magic all >>> LeBron. Which isn't a knock on LeBron for being born in the 80s.

Jordan was "the man" but it wasn't a one man league. 10-20m people were watching NBA Finals series before the Chicago Bulls ever made it.

A lot of ducks lined up for the sport to go global. If Jordan came along in the 60s or 70s I don't think his impact would've been nearly as great.

Magic and Bird saved the NBA that was in the complete shitter in the 70's. Low attendance, no rating, coke heads and stories of drugs and partying.

Then came Magic and Bird and they saved the NBA. Then Jordan arrived and took what Magic and Bird saved and absolute flung it into the stratosphere!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back