Remove this Banner Ad

Yze_Magic

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Feb 25, 2003
melbourne
Other Teams
McLean/Sylvia > Anyone
This bloke left West Coast high and dry after destroying their list with poor trading and pathetic recruiting

He has now done the same thing at the Pies.

It would be pretty sad if Collingwood fans defended him. I would be mightily ********ed off if I were in their shoes. Cant spot young talent to save himself, cant trade to save himself (Didak-Stevens ring a bell?)

I think part of the problem is that he is a complete prick and can not communicate with younger players

I would be interested to hear the opinion of West Coast Eagles supporters. Maybe they can give us a rundown on the trades, events and happenings under the guidance of Mick that helped the Eagles to the bottom of the ladder at the end of his contract

Most overrated coach in VFL/AFL history

If you consider making the finals most years to be ruining team lists, its a good thing you're a Dees fan.

Malthouse is regarded quite highly over here, even though he went to Collingwood. He helped us to 10 consecutive finals apperances and 3 Grand Finals, to say he's crap is just stupid.

Last edited:

If MM ruined West Coast's list then Pagan ruined North's. 10 year's of finals is DESIGNED to ruin your list.

Oh, and Malthouse isn't crap. To get Collingwood with that list to 2 straight GFs, not to mention almost grabbing one in 2002, is a fantastic achievement and just tells you how good a coach he is. Any other team bar Brissy and I reckon they would've won them.

Rather the input of his players, Judkins and Balme are the ones to blame.

some very smart guys here..
i'm up for a new coach.. seems the best way to go when u start rebuilding again..
+ i didn't like our finals list much better then i like our current list..

but malthouse is atleast, far better then your average coach. MAYBE he's not AS good as your sheedy/pagan/mathews..

but considering the ammount of REALLY sh*t coaches.. he's alright

Ljp86 said:
Malthouse is regarded quite highly over here, even though he went to Collingwood. He helped us to 10 consecutive finals apperances and 3 Grand Finals, to say his crap is just stupid.

I dont think Mick is crap, but definitley overrated. We were in the finals 10 years etc, but how many of those years were we simply making up the numbers? For me Mick isnt able to reinject fire into ageing lists, and that lack of intensity rubs off on the younger players. He is good at coming into a list on the rise, tweaking here or there, and having a crack at a flag. But as for rebuilding which is what clearly the Pies need to now focus on....im sorry but its just never been Micks forte. To me he seems to have a five year life span at clubs, after that the complacency seems to set in and its over.

You must remember though that he took the eagles to the highest point and also collingwood even though the pies lost both of them. When a club goes into premiership mode and makes a serious run at the GF they start recruiting experienced players instead of taking younger players in the draft. At this point they don't really look much past the goal of winning the cup and this has become apparent by the way Brissy and Port are now doing.

Admittedly a good coach should plan for what comes after a GF as well and that's probably what Lethal Leigh did so well even though it has finally come to bite him in the arse!

The problem with the Pies IMO is that they started with an average list when MM got there and he did amazing things with it but that same list is now being exposed as completly lacking in depth. A team like the lions can still maybe build a good team around the left overs of 3 GF's but the Pies had nothing in the first place!

Total rebuild is in order and the Pies are kidding themselves if they think stealing a big high profile player from another club is going to help! They need to do what the cats and saints have done!

So, MM didn't exactly ruin a team in the Pies as they were already an average list. But, he also didn't bother building on it at all so I guess I see your point! He can do great things with nearly nothing but he lacks foresight as well! I don't think he has the patience or nerve to build something from scratch which is no great surprise with someone like Eddie looming over you as McChins is the sort of person who gets what he wants whenever he wants! Basically a big spoilt brat who has too much say in what happens at the club!

Nah Mick is a good coach, very good, 3 grand finals over here in perth, Took Collingwood to 2 grand finals, from ******** to brilliant in 2 year and then back to ********, haha, its a cycal.

But yes he did leave the eagles in not so good shape but in saying that he left us with some great young talent including Cousins, Fleture, Embley, Gardiner. It all worked out in the end because we got rid of that d*ickhead Ken Judge and ended up with one of the smartest footballers to play the game and our champion captain Woosha. Now theres a good coach. You wont find anyone is perth with a bad word to say about woosha

MarkT said:
If MM ruined West Coast's list then Pagan ruined North's.

At least he cant destroy Carltons list. Took over when they were rubbish, three years later they're still rubbish, but at least they are no worse than they were before he took over!!!

hotpie said:
At least he cant destroy Carltons list. Took over when they were rubbish, three years later they're still rubbish, but at least they are no worse than they were before he took over!!!

Don't kid yourself, we're infinitely a better side now than we were in 2003. Even though we have a poor list. Says a lot about how bad the list really was in 2002/2003.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the magpies Mick Malthouse has been a consistant loser.

And dont give me this malarky about two grand finals that means nothing unless you win em!!

Yze_Magic said:

Serious question for you: what did you think of Collingwood's side in 2002/2003?

Personally I thought it was average. Malthouse got it to consecutive GFs. Fair effort IMO.

I reckon they're now suffering from Mick coaching too well. Their list was average then and after a few years of lousy draft picks (plus poor drafting and trading as you say) their list is a pile of rubbish and they'll win a wooden spoon.

I think the didak/stevens trade was one that no club would have done. Didak is a top 5 draft kick with some pretty handy attributes. Will more than likely become a top attacking midfielder after he gets over his cronic knee injury (hopefully he will.) To invest in someone and then see them coming of age at another club is like shooting yourself in the foot. While I rate Nick Stevens very highly (aside from his defensive game) it would be ludicrous to throw Didak to Port.

Malthouse is a brilliant coach in his own right, but this thread has a good point. He can coach a rising team to success, but you wouldnt want him around to take your team through to its next rise to dominance. I dont know his involvement with collingwoods recruiting and trading, but it appears pretty ordinary to me in recent times. And he sure as ******** dug west coast into a hole full of poo with some questionable trades and ordinary recruiting in the mid to late nineties. There were a string of terrible west coast draft choices... all of these Im pretty sure are top 30 choices, many alot higher than that:

Shane Sikora, Ashley Blurton, Brendan Fewster, Luke Trew, Craig Smoker, Josh Wooden, Jaxon Crabb, Callum Chambers, Brandon Hill (my favourite, an absolute shocker at 10), Michael O'Brien.

All household names...

On second thought, Fewster and Wooden werent terrible, no doubt the best of that lot, but that just goes to show how bad the others were.

CatManDo said:
Malthouse is a brilliant coach in his own right, but this thread has a good point. He can coach a rising team to success, but you wouldnt want him around to take your team through to its next rise to dominance. I dont know his involvement with collingwoods recruiting and trading, but it appears pretty ordinary to me in recent times. And he sure as ******** dug west coast into a hole full of poo with some questionable trades and ordinary recruiting in the mid to late nineties. There were a string of terrible west coast draft choices... all of these Im pretty sure are top 30 choices, many alot higher than that:

Shane Sikora, Ashley Blurton, Brendan Fewster, Luke Trew, Craig Smoker, Josh Wooden, Jaxon Crabb, Callum Chambers, Brandon Hill (my favourite, an absolute shocker at 10), Michael O'Brien.

All household names...

On second thought, Fewster and Wooden werent terrible, no doubt the best of that lot, but that just goes to show how bad the others were.

that's spot on. His last 4 years of drafting at WC:

1995:
3 Brendon Fewster
14 Luke Trew
30 Craig Smoker
44 Jonson Clifton
57 Paul Whitelaw
66 Neil Marshall

1996:
1 Michael S. Gardiner
24 Josh Wooden
39 Nicholas Stone
53 Michael Braun
57 Trent Cummings

1997:
12 Jaxon Crabb
13 Callum Chambers
28 Rowan Jones
34 Andrew Williams
37 Todd Holmes
44 Daviid Antonowicz
60 Phillip Read

1998:
10 Brandon Hill
26 Michael O'Brien
57 Andrew Embley
69 Scott Bennett
89 Joel Duckworth

that's 23 picks in the draft in total with 10 top 30 picks.

Only 5 players taken from the national draft during that time are still at the club 7-10 years on. Two of those were players taken with picks in the 50's (Braun and Embley) basically the lucky dip section of the draft.

i wouldn't think any more than 8 or maybe 9 of those players played more than 50 games.

every coach has picked a few where looking back you say 'what were they thinking' but MM i would say has had more of those than anyone. His drafting left WC with a huge whole with basically no players between the ages of 30-26 because none of them came on. Same thing could happen to Collingwood

CatManDo said:

All household names...

I think it's unfair to blame the poor drafting from about 1997-1998 all on Malthouse.

Many factors saw the Eagles list crumble and performanc drop at the turn of the century. No doubt there were some poor draft picks but the club also managed to obtain CAREER players such as Cousins, Morrison, Gardiner, Braun, Wirrpunda, Phil Matera, Embley, Fletcher, Fraser Gehrig and Jones after the 1994 flag. I'd argue that's a better record in that 5 year period than most teams.

An often ignored factor at the Eagles was injuries and early retirements. We lost a key onballer in Don Pyke at age 28, Evans, Waterman and Heady all went before they were 30, there were others too that Malthouse and the club could have expected a few more years out of, at least to help bring on kids. Also remember we had many major knee injuries across 1996-7. Glen Jakovich, at the time regarded as one of the best players in the league went down in 1996 - John Worsfold also in 96, age 28. Reigning AA players Chris Mainwaring and Mitchell White both went down in 1997 and never returned to their best.

So yes, it wasn't just bad drafting and it wasn't all Mick's fault - as someone said 10 years of finals footy is likely to hurt your list when the time for change comes.

Black JuJu said:
I think it's unfair to blame the poor drafting from about 1997-1998 all on Malthouse.

Many factors saw the Eagles list crumble and performanc drop at the turn of the century. No doubt there were some poor draft picks but the club also managed to obtain CAREER players such as Cousins, Morrison, Gardiner, Braun, Wirrpunda, Phil Matera, Embley, Fletcher, Fraser Gehrig and Jones after the 1994 flag. I'd argue that's a better record in that 5 year period than most teams.

An often ignored factor at the Eagles was injuries and early retirements. We lost a key onballer in Don Pyke at age 28, Evans, Waterman and Heady all went before they were 30, there were others too that Malthouse and the club could have expected a few more years out of, at least to help bring on kids. Also remember we had many major knee injuries across 1996-7. Glen Jakovich, at the time regarded as one of the best players in the league went down in 1996 - John Worsfold also in 96, age 28. Reigning AA players Chris Mainwaring and Mitchell White both went down in 1997 and never returned to their best.

So yes, it wasn't just bad drafting and it wasn't all Mick's fault - as someone said 10 years of finals footy is likely to hurt your list when the time for change comes.

Actually I didnt mean to pin it all on Malthouse, you make good points. But I think the evidence suggests that Mick lacks severly in the area of team development (the recruiting side at least).

Yze_Magic said:
This bloke left West Coast high and dry after destroying their list with poor trading and pathetic recruiting

He has now done the same thing at the Pies.

It would be pretty sad if Collingwood fans defended him. I would be mightily ********ed off if I were in their shoes. Cant spot young talent to save himself, cant trade to save himself (Didak-Stevens ring a bell?)

I think part of the problem is that he is a complete prick and can not communicate with younger players

I would be interested to hear the opinion of West Coast Eagles supporters. Maybe they can give us a rundown on the trades, events and happenings under the guidance of Mick that helped the Eagles to the bottom of the ladder at the end of his contract

when do you plan on actually watching the football?
just think of the potential improvement in your opinions...

Well Malthouse has bought in Morrison and Caracella this year, two player that will have no impact 5 or even 3 years from now.
Collingwood have overindulged in father-son picks, unlike Geelong most of their F-S picks have turned out to be hacks (bar Travis Cloke) but their recruting manager really hasn't done enough in spotting enough classy players, especially midfielders, also trading for Shane O'Bree and Andrew Williams (two duds) hasn't helped either, Malthouse tactically is probably a good coach, but is not very good at list management.

Mick Malthouse inherited a Bulldog team in 84 which had just secured the services of Andrew Purser, Brian Royal, Steve Wallis, Simon Beasley and a few others to add to Dougie Hawkins and Jim Edmond wo were already there. He recruited Brad HArdie, Allen Daniels, Jim Sewell and a few others and built a team in 85 which missed a GF berth by 10 points..........after that did nothing and blamed it on the Doggies loser mentality.

The point.........Malthouse works well with a list of almost players and can take them to the top. Can he rebuild a club from the bottom? If he does it with Collingwood it will be the first.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back