Michael Slater dumped from Channel 7 commentary team

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds to me like the ‘blood on your hands’ outburst is being trotted out as an excuse to hide the real reason he was sacked - namely that he’s a terrible commentator who makes people change channels or hit the mute button whenever he is in the box.

I think he has had issues with bi-polar and separately drugs

regardless of what is behind this issue, I hope it all works out for the guy
Yeah, his exit from cricket has always struck me as quite tragic. Poor bloke was suffering from undiagnosed mental illness and Waugh's handling of it was very callous (to be fair Waugh didn't know he was actually ill at the time but still).

Yeah, his exit from cricket has always struck me as quite tragic. Poor bloke was suffering from undiagnosed mental illness and Waugh's handling of it was very callous (to be fair Waugh didn't know he was actually ill at the time but still).

gilly threw him under the bus.

but you know this is elite sport and sometimes sacrifices need to be made.

At the risk of protracting a debate - being well read on that era, Slater had some major off field issues happening (drug use/adultery/pending divorce etc.) before Waugh dumped him for the 5th Ashes test in 2001.
Bizarrely, his omission had little to do with his actual batting form at the time, it was more related to his off-field behavior and poor attitude during that tour, yes some of this may or not have been related to his mild bipolar condition...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slater was seemingly barely in the box over 19/20 and 20/21 compared to the early days on 7, something was clearly up, would be surprised if the blood on the hands comment had anything to do with it and I suspect they were just waiting for him to finish his contract

There were rumours after the first summer channel 7 had the coverage that a lot of crew and support staff were shocked at the mood swings.

This was back in 2019

So i suspect they haven't been keen on re-signing him for a while

61a849d54b91f86d9571c5d2aa501fdd15-hump-.rsquare.w700.gif

Now arrested on domestic violence charges

I would say that would be enough to get him booted from the commentary team but the same network employs Wayne Carey
Funnily enough, Carey and Slater went to school together in Wagga.

Don't really watch much cricket these days so can't say I ever knew of his issues. Always seemed to have it together in his nine days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back