Past Michael Voss (1992-2006)

Remove this Banner Ad

Link ....

Back in 1997, the Brisbane Lions knew they had a young man who could lead them for a decade. Michael Voss was 21 and had just won the Brownlow. The Lions opted to give Voss the protection of an experienced co-pilot and appointed Alastair Lynch as co-captain.

The Dees could follow this template.

michaelvoss.jpg

Old enough
By Nick Bowen
2:50 PM Thu 02 Feb, 2012

As Brisbane Lions coach in 1997, Northey appointed Michael Voss co-captain, at the age of 21 years and 266 days - the fourth youngest captain ever. Voss shared the Lions captaincy with senior teammate Alastair Lynch for the next four seasons, then assumed the job in his own right from 2001-06, leading the club to the 2001-03 flags.

Northey says a player's maturity is a far more accurate gauge of their readiness to captain than their age.

"Some people like 'Vossy' are mature at 21, others aren't mature until their 30s," Northey says.

"But that's something that people in a club can assess easily enough."

Northey was not concerned the captaincy would be a burden for Voss, saying he knew he could handle the added pressure to perform on the field, while Voss' experience working for Channel Nine ensured he was comfortable representing the club at press conferences.

michaelvoss.jpg

Brisbane Lions Hall of Fame

There are a number of obvious candidates that will come into consideration including Kevin Murray, Garry Wilson, Bernie Quinlan, Paul Roos, Leigh Matthews, and Voss, of course.

The current Lions coach was beaming when asked about the tradition of the club.

"This seems like a natural step to be able to formalise, as we already have, the Fitzroy part, the Brisbane Bears and now as the merged club, the Brisbane Lions," Voss said.

"It's a pretty historic day I think to acknowledge the traditions from our football club. It's hard to put a value on tradition and history, it's your blood, your DNA, that's what we're talking about."

6959711999_d10e4fe543.jpg

Personal Best - Nick Maxwell's Top 10 AFL Leaders

The best leader for the last 25 years, no. 1, Michael Voss from the Brisbane Lions. Who could argue with that? Three time premiership captain, obviously had the three-peat, he got to the fourth Grand Final but couldn't quite get it done. But it wasn't because of his leadership. Brownlow medalist, plenty of best and fairests, he was a gun.

Vossy won the AFLPA best captain award about 5 times in a row didn't he?

Can't argue with him being an amazing captain.

Treasured Memories of Bear Years
July 13, 2012
Robert Walls

And one of those young teammates of his (Richard Champion) was a 16-year-old Michael Voss. The current Brisbane Lions coach and 1996 Brownlow medallist would arrive at Carrara in his school uniform with a big smile on his face. The week he turned 17, we played him on a wing against Fitzroy. He had 20 disposals and kicked three goals. We knew then he was going to be good. Just didn't realise how good.

Voss%20-%20Copy.jpg

Saw this today on the lions download section of the website. No wonder we had to change jumpers, we couldn't even get the lion facing the right way.:)

The 3-peat story: 2003

Simon Black said:
I don't think I ever really questioned it was over, but I do remember a watershed moment in the year where we came off after one of those losses and the players got together and Michael Voss, the captain, said "Boys I'm not sure I can trust everyone in the side anymore."

And he went on to say "When it's your turn to put your head over the ball, I'm not sure everyone in the room is willing to do that."

And that was a really pivotal moment in our season as a group. For Vossy to say that, being the player and person that he is was a real watershed moment for us and I think we responded from it.

I don't think I've heard this one before. Tony Liberatore said on Open Mike last night that he was playing on Vossy one time and Voss was carving him up. Libba said to him "Voss, other than me, you are the worst Brownlow Medalist of all time!" Voss apparently didn't stop laughing for a quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B
Nice to know that any IP and insider knowledge Vossy has about our list is out of the hands of other clubs for the near future.

But but but why would they want him? Crazy Vossy, after all...

Matthews Vs Voss

Today afl.com.au compares the playing careers of two champions of the game.

According to the great Leigh Matthews, there has been no more valuable person in football than Michael Voss.

This glowing endorsement echoes the sentiments of many who claim that Voss embodied the full package – the playing ability, the leadership, the professionalism, the team-first attitude, and the will to win at all costs.

Voss was a champion on and off the field at a club where he spent 15 years and 289 games as a player after debuting as a 17-year-old schoolboy in 1992, and later was coach for five years.

He won almost every individual accolade in the game, headlined by five Club Best & Fairest awards and the 1996 Brownlow Medal.

The only honour that escaped him was the Norm Smith Medal.

However, it's his accomplishments as the entrusted leader of the most successful side in Club history that he most cherishes.

Voss skippered the Lions towards their famous three-peat of Premierships – and remains the longest-serving Captain in combined Club history after fulfilling the role for a full decade.

Jonathan Brown reveals best sledge he ever heard — and one that backfired

WHEN it comes to sledging, few rivalled Michael Voss.

The most well-known of the Brisbane champion’s on-field arrows was when he told his brother, Brett, “My Dad f***ed your Mum last night” when they played against each other.

But there’s another sledge Voss’s former Lions teammate Jonathan Brown rates ahead of that one.

“The best one I heard was Michael Voss, it was just after halftime, we were playing Geelong back in the (mid) 2000s and Geelong were schoolboys at this stage — they were very young before their premiership era,” Brown recalled on Nova 100’s Chrissie, Sam & Browny on Monday.

“There was a boundary throw in and Vossy tried to halt the game. He yelled out ‘Stop the game! Stop the game!’

“The umpire listened to him, he thought ‘what’s going on here?’ He stopped the game. (Voss said) ‘I think one of the Auskickers has been left on the field!’”

As everyone looked, Voss pointed directly at young Cats player Shannon Byrnes.

Brendon Goddard: The day Michael Voss threatened to kill me

In my first game for the Saints at the Gabba back in 2003, Michael Voss threatened to kill me. They had won two premierships and were on their way to a third. At the start of the game we ran out and I was standing on the wing. Martin Pike was next to me. He turned around and looked me up and down and said, 'What are you doing out here? You should be in the classroom'.

Vossy was in the centre square and he looked up and yelled out, "Hey Goddard!"

I didn't say anything. I just looked at him, but in my head I was thinking, 'Oh no, it's Michael Voss, don't talk to me'. So he calls out again, "If you come in here and touch the ball I will f---ing kill you."

I was 18 and I thought, "What's going on? That's Michael Voss and he is threatening to kill me."

Pike is standing there and he said, "He's not kidding."

For the rest of the day I was hit by every player. Pike was wearing the long stops and he was stomping on my toes and whacking me in the ribs from behind the whole day.

Even the runner, Craig Starcevich - who later turned up at St Kilda – was giving it to me.

Of course, it was all part of the plan for them at the time – who will we target this week? Playing against them early on was horrific because you had Voss and Nigel Lappin in the midfield just belting you and if it went into the forward line there were the Scotts and Justin Leppitsch and in the backline you had Jonathan Brown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back